Walker's Crisps

ChipVA

Why would you want to buy them when you can take advantage of their yummy Cunard 'in house' ( made onboard) crisps . served at any of the Bars ;)

I love the bowls of crisps you get in the Chart Room with drinks. Didn't realise they were made on board. They're very moreish.:)

DW and I took a full suitcase of Walkers cheese & onion to Australia for my emigrant niece and she finished the lot before we flew home so I can understand the craving.

I'm more than happy to eat the on board crisps, which are indeed excellent. But I really do wish Cunard would carry Henderson's relish instead of that second rate Lea & Perrins facsimile. They do excellent and rather high class mushy peas, but it isn't worth asking for meat and potato pie without Hendo's on hand.

DW and I took a full suitcase of Walkers cheese & onion to Australia for my emigrant niece and she finished the lot before we flew home so I can understand the craving.

I'm more than happy to eat the on board crisps, which are indeed excellent. But I really do wish Cunard would carry Henderson's relish instead of that second rate Lea & Perrins facsimile. They do excellent and rather high class mushy peas, but it isn't worth asking for meat and potato pie without Hendo's on hand.

Did you have any trouble at the Customs when you declared the crisps?:rolleyes:

Did you have any trouble at the Customs when you declared the crisps?:rolleyes:

Nope, just told them what we'd got. Pre-cooked, pre-packaged, commercial food is okay SO LONG AS YOU DECLARE. It's the bags of mouldy duck feet and insect infested fruit hidden inside socks that they get the hump about.

Twenty years ago, I entered Australia on business, very soon after after a trip to Japan, where I'd been turned over quite thoroughly by customs who seemed to be looking for drugs. My travelling companion reckoned it was because there was a drugs dog near us while we waited by the luggage carousel and it took a keen interest when, to put it delicately, I experienced an involuntary pressure adjustment between cruising altitude and ground level. :o

Anyway, I was a bit paranoid about taking anything into the country undeclared and I had a half eaten Mars bar in my briefcase. So I went through the red channel, presented myself at the desk and said what I had. "Are you taking the **** ?" was the thanks I got. I love the Aussies - direct and to the point.

Are you from Sheffield Chunky?

F'raid so. Maybe that's why I like the Aussies?

But yesterday was a special day in Brit/Oz relations that I enjoyed thoroughly, particularly with A Sheffielder scoring twice as many runs as the entire Australian team and another Yorkshireman having a bit of a knock at the other end.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

That must have been a one off ? I've seen the setup and making of the in-house ones, on a Galley Visit only the week . ;)

Edited to add; On QM2

Bet that was a great experience for you Mr CCC. :D

I am so with on this, as I can't stop eating the Cunard crisps once I start they are the best.

Although on QE they were serving Kettle hand cut Crisps last year on the world cruise but they are also good.

Edited by maggiemou

Heading out on the August 15th cuise from Rome to Venice on Queen Victoria. Was hoping there would be lightly salted Walker's Crisps on the cruise. Always a treat to enjoy them and can buy them from a vendor in the United States, but have to buy a box of them which is 50 bags and they usually go stale before they are finished. Won't be tempted by the Pringles, but will be on the look out for the homemade ones in the bars!:)

Always a treat to enjoy them and can buy them from a vendor in the United States, but have to buy a box of them which is 50 bags and they usually go stale before they are finished.

Crisps have quite a long shelf life, certainly several months I would have thought. Just eat them quicker and they won't have chance to go stale/soft.

That must have been a one off ? I've seen the setup and making of the in-house ones, on a Galley Visit only the week . ;)

Edited to add; On QM2

Last week on QM2 they were serving Kettle Crisps in the Commodore Club. Perhaps they use them when they haven't got any of the hand made ones.

I'm intrigued, how did you know they were kettle crisps ? another poster claims they used Lays ( on the Q.Vic)

Are you both saying that a crew member opened a Bag and topped up your bowl?

I've never seen that done,it's far too unprofessional for a Cunard bar waiter, rather, they go away and produce a clean & prepared bowl from the service area.

:)

I'm intrigued, how did you know they were kettle crisps ? another poster claims they used Lays ( on the Q.Vic)

Are you both saying that a crew member opened a Bag and topped up your bowl?

I've never seen that done,it's far too unprofessional for a Cunard bar waiter, rather, they go away and produce a clean & prepared bowl from the service area.

:)

Spotted the tower of boxes through a partially opened door :)

The bowl was brought to the table in a very professional manner - certainly no sign of any crisp packets. They also brought salted peanuts in a bowl with a little spoon, but I have no idea what sort they were ;)

I actually asked what crisps they used and the bartender bought the bag out to show me.

He saw the bowl was nearly empty and topped it up.

I don't think it was the normal practice to do it that way. It was a one-off as he had the bag in his hand.

I have always found the bartenders in the Commodore Club very professional.