QE Southampton to Hamburg - first Cunard experience

Scriv

We have just got back from our first Cunard experience, albeit a very short one and as many of you were very kind and helpful answering my questions prior to our trip, I want to quickly say now that it was a lovely experience.

Our stateroom was fabulous - we had been upgraded to a wheelchair adapted cabin which was lovely and big with a superb corner balcony. We met some very nice people and dined in the Britannia restaurant for all meals other than the lunch on embarkation day. All our food was delicious.

We had a very nice table in the Britannia in the evening and excellent service from our waiters. We also enjoyed dressing up, even though it was only an Informal Dress Code!

Only real criticism - too short, but then again we knew that before we went!

Edited by Scriv

Hi Maggie - you would have been proud of me! On our first evening of two Informal Evenings, I wore a very nice dress and was rather surprised to see more people than I expected dressed down! I believe there were quite a few German people on board and maybe dressing up is not quite their thing? Anyway, over the course of that evening and the next day we came across quite a few others who had noticed the same thing and they had wondered about maybe going a bit more casual themselves the next night. Anyway, we had a little confab and we all decided to carry on regardless and dress up and show them! Our mantra was indeed that if we could not dress up on Queen Elizabeth, then where could we? So we all looked - and felt - beautiful. :)

Edited by Scriv

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of booking a similar cruise next year. Just a brief trip before our main holiday! I am looking forward to your review.

I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me. When you dock in Hamburg did Cunard provide a bus to the airport or did you need to find your own way back?

Thank you

Hi chirk on tour -

My review is now posted in the Review section if this is any use to you.

If you book the cruise with flight home as we did, Cunard make all the arrangements and transfer you to the airport. If you book your flight independently, then I think you have to find your own way.

Hope this helps - I'm very happy to answer any questions :)

Edited by Scriv

Thanks for the reply Scriv.

I would love to know about your travel arrangements. Did you leave your car in Southampton or at the airport? When I spoke to Cunard today they informed me that I could leave my car at the airport and then travel with Cunard to Southampton. However this would be a big journey on the day of departing.

Also what time was your flight home.

Thanks

We have just got back from our first Cunard

Only real criticism - too short, but then again we knew that before we went!

That was our feeling after our first (ever, non-Cunard) voyage---which was 7 days in the Caribbean. Too short!

It really is better to board the ship, settle-in, and stay as long as possible! We found segments of the World Cruise lovely and, really, might be up to a full-world, at some point.

Ship life is wonderful, relaxing, stimulating, interesting, soothing, restless, invigorating--and, now for us: happily familiar. We love the ambience of Cunard and mix of travel companions.

It was nice to read a review which didn't over-critize the "small stuff." There will always be SOMETHiNG not totally perfect. You sounded like ship-time renewed and refreshed you.

When we left Napier, New Zealand, in 2013, folks lined the cliff to wish us farewell. THAT was spectacular--as was every square inch of New Zealand that we were fortunate enough to see! I didn't realize that was sometimes done in Hamburg. Makes me want to stop in Germany : )

Edited by jimmybean

chirk - being brutally honest this was not an easy one. Our journey home was quite a challenge and was in danger of undoing all the rest and relaxation and pleasantness of the cruise and I have to say that Hamburg airport was a pretty unfriendly experience.

We disembarked at 10 am and were taken straight to the airport for our 14 20 flight. We arrived at LHR at just after 15 00 but took a time get off and clear the airport. By complicated arrangements my car was at my daughter's home in Woking, so we got the National Express Rail Link Coach to Woking (journey of about 40 mins) and walked to her home to pick up my car. Got there near to 5pm and stayed there until about 6pm to let the rush hour traffic on the M3 pass. By now it was raining. We got home about 7pm, which made it quite a long day and a bit miserable.

We only live about half an hour from Southampton port and had taken a taxi down to the port.This experience has put us off Fly cruises I must admit, especially after such a short cruise as it seemed to take forever to get home. We think we will stick to the Southampton round trips as we live so close to the port.

However, have a look to see if there are alternative flights you could choose to get home as some people did that. One lady was spending a day in Hamburg and returning late evening. I don't know where she lived though. And another couple were spending a night in a hotel in Hamburg.

Edited by Scriv

Thanks jimmybean. Yes, we did find our ship time refreshed and relaxed us - it always does. We have had a number of lovely cruises on P&O ships and agree it's best to be on board as long as possible!!! Unfortunately the purse and other commitments limit us at the moment. Maybe one day....

I agree there will always be something 'not totally perfect' and I think it's sad when people can't see beyond the 'small stuff'. I think they miss out on an awful lot.

Happy cruising. :)

Edited by Scriv