Cunard and product differentiation

ren0312

So how does cunard set itself apart from the competition and define itself as a brand nowadays? During the qe2 erase the name cunard was always synonymous for its fast ocean liners, and a certain British formality compared to its American conpetitors (which some might see as stodginess), but now you do not have the qe2 anymore, and yhe qm2 while an ocean liner, is being used as a cruise ship. And from the posts here cunard seems to be a lot more American and informal compared to the 1990s, plus in terms of price points it is a lot cheaper than it used to be when you adjust prices for inflation. In this envirobment, how does cunard plan to differentiate itself from the other brands, while cunard will not be as downmarket as p and o, there seems to be the gist in this board that it is a lot more affordable that it used to be in the 1990s and the first years of qm2's operation.

So how does cunard set itself apart from the competition and define itself as a brand nowadays? During the qe2 erase the name cunard was always synonymous for its fast ocean liners, and a certain British formality compared to its American conpetitors (which some might see as stodginess), but now you do not have the qe2 anymore, and yhe qm2 while an ocean liner, is being used as a cruise ship. And from the posts here cunard seems to be a lot more American and informal compared to the 1990s, plus in terms of price points it is a lot cheaper than it used to be when you adjust prices for inflation. In this envirobment, how does cunard plan to differentiate itself from the other brands, while cunard will not be as downmarket as p and o, there seems to be the gist in this board that it is a lot more affordable that it used to be in the 1990s and the first years of qm2's operation.

You will be surprised that unless you cruise in the Grills and compare Britannia restaurant, which balcony and inside cabins use, they are not much difference as P&O and P&O are not as downmarket as you might think. Traditional Cunarders of many years convince themselves that Cunard is better than most cruise lines but in reality is not unless you go in Queens Grill and even then there are many 6star ships out there that will match Queens Grill in quality and price.

Good question which seems to have a fuzzy answer. No cruise line can be all things to all people. Either the line will become a more casual, lower priced line or it will maintain a more formal, but pricier environment. The traditionalists will leave if the elegance is gone or the carefree won't book because it's too stiff and expensive. Who "wins" depends upon what the majority of passengers are now willing to pay for.

Service and formality "like QE2" comes at price. Neither service nor formality will be maintained if passengers only sail on "smoking hot deals" and whine about packing formal wear. (Why is the economic concept of "value for value" so hard to understand?)

I am somewhat encouraged however that some proposed public area refit designs for QM2 appear to maintain an elegant atmosphere. It's my hope that discourages those who don't want Cunard to be Cunard.

Edited by BlueRiband

Hi ren0312 :)

From your experiences of sailing across the Atlantic with Cunard, both on QE2 in the past, and on QM2 more recently, how do you think the line has changed over the years?

I ask for your opinions as, although I sailed on QE2, it wasn't across the Atlantic (although I have done so several times on QM2), so I am especially interested in your reminisces of your past crossings on QE2, and also your views about your voyages on QM2, thank you :)

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Even though Cunard has indeed dumbed down their dress standards, and seems to be flogging the "quickie" cruise, they are miles ahead in formality than most of the other lines. The offering of daily afternoon tea in a formal setting is also a cut above and the lack of water slides, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, Ice cave bars, Hairy whatever contests, the constant hawking of drinks and the load speaker noise sets Cunard in the ranks of "civilized" vs. the county fair atmosphere. While the county fair atmosphere seems the norm for most of the US population, so far Cunard has been able to locate and sell to those dwindling few who still appreciate good taste.

How long they will be able to sustain this cut above remains to be seen. Once they go to total "anytime dining and allow the wearing of whatever, they are toast as a distinct brand. Any time dining works well for couples but wrecks havoc on the solo passenger and on those who enjoy meeting new people.

Even though Cunard has indeed dumbed down their dress standards, and seems to be flogging the "quickie" cruise, they are miles ahead in formality than most of the other lines. The offering of daily afternoon tea in a formal setting is also a cut above and the lack of water slides, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, Ice cave bars, Hairy whatever contests, the constant hawking of drinks and the load speaker noise sets Cunard in the ranks of "civilized" vs. the county fair atmosphere. While the county fair atmosphere seems the norm for most of the US population, so far Cunard has been able to locate and sell to those dwindling few who still appreciate good taste.

How long they will be able to sustain this cut above remains to be seen. Once they go to total "anytime dining and allow the wearing of whatever, they are toast as a distinct brand. Any time dining works well for couples but wrecks havoc on the solo passenger and on those who enjoy meeting new people.

I completely agree with this post. Of the Cunard ships, I have only been on the QM2. I have been on HAL, NCL and Celebrity. For me, the QM2 was a much quieter ship, a more relaxing place. I was on NCL last December; my mother likes NCL because she says she's tired of dressing up, "Been there, done that," she said.

But both of us missed afternoon tea. So there you go.

Or as a friend said to me after a cruise on QV and a crossing on QM2 "I love that Cunard treat me as an adult".

I don't need "water slides, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, Ice cave bars, Hairy whatever contests, the constant hawking of drinks and the load speaker noise" thank you!

I agree, keep those distinctions (an a few others) please :). Edited by pepperrn

In my experience main stream cruise lines are far more remarkable for their similarities than their differences. If cruise ships had DNA, they would have 95% common DNA.

The differences arise in 2 main areas:

1. Branding (i.e. marketing). The image. The style. The look. "White Star", "White gloves service". The Cunard dynasty. The royal epithets.

2. On board experience. I, too, agree with Lakesregion and with Pepperrn in what they have said about this.

When asked what Cunard is like, I reply, "In one word - elegant". No belly flops at the pool here. Lots of dressing for dinner. Enrichment programs. The biggest library and ballroom afloat.

Lastly, it is still quintessentially British. In fact it is more British than the British. Still a throw-back, in many ways, to the 1950's mentality. Hints of the Empire and all that. A themed ball on board is not that far removed from something one might associate with Downton Abbey (minus, usually, the tiaras). Titled gentry often feature on the speakers list. Our next cruise features The National Symphony Orchestra. Their Last Night of the Proms concert, I predict, will be SRO.

QM2 is an ocean liner, which also happens to cruise; she's built to North Atlantic storms specifications (I've been on her in a force 12, off Newfoundland).

QE and Victoria are basically chopped down versions of the flagship, in terms of facilities and modus operandum, too.

Yes, it can be stuffy; snooty, even (but that's a subjective decision). With the exception of a few younger, green officers, it's the paying passengers who are largely responsible for this, as a scan of the Cunard threads on here will reveal. But it's easily avoided, too and very much the exception rather than the norm. We have made wonderful friendships on Cunard voyages. Having (now rare) essentially two classes of passengers tends to underpin this, too.

It's interesting to see what Cunard have in mind for their 2016 refit of QM2 - including new single cabins, which suggests a nod to modernity. This isn't just about unmarried people, it's also about older, widowed passengers - e.g. a grandparent who wants to sail with his/her grandchildren (the parents not being so keen to go - that's a whole other big issue for the industry - demographic resistance).

A key factor for us choosing Cunard IS the elegance. It's one of the few places left where John Doe can easily and briefly immerse in the traditional (yet now largely passé) British experience.

Edited by Canuker

One of our favorite things about Cunard is their stellar daytime lectures. I think the interesting variety of speakers sets Cunard apart from other cruise lines in a very positive way.

The library on the QM2 is the largest and best library that I've ever seen on a ship.

I think a lot of ships have many childish things on board; water slides, hairy legs contests and things like that can be fun for some but not all. Some people are more introverted, they want to read a book, go to a lecture, do quiet things. When I was on NCL last year, I met a man who said he hated the QM2 because he felt there was nothing to do. I told him not everybody feels the need to be entertained 24/7, that some people want to go on vacation and sit quietly somewhere to read a book. He thought I was weird.

I also prefer that Cunard dinner service doesn't involve overly familiar wait-staff, trying to take part of the conversation (as we have experienced on some Princess ships). I like unobtrusive service and that is the tone on Cunard ships.

I also prefer that Cunard dinner service doesn't involve overly familiar wait-staff, trying to take part of the conversation (as we have experienced on some Princess ships). I like unobtrusive service and that is the tone on Cunard ships.

Hear hear!

Inertia in the public mind will help Cunard maintain their brand identity for years to come. While pricing is now close to mass market averages, a few touches support the ongoing images: the dress code which, while more relaxed, is still taken fairly seriously; the adherence to assigned dining in Britannia; afternoon tea; intelligent lecture programs, etc. One major change, the transfer of ships' registry - whether for cost savings or to allow for on-board weddings (as has been suggested) - does diminish their Britishness: the Red Ensign (Blue, if captained by an RNVR officer) used to be a significant hallmark - similar to the Dutch tricolor which makes HAL stand out.

the Red Ensign (Blue, if captained by an RNVR officer) used to be a significant hallmark - similar to the Dutch tricolor which makes HAL stand out.

It still is, Cunard ships still fly either the Red or Blue Ensign (depending on who the Captain is).

There is more information here on the Red Ensign Group

The Red Ensign Group (REG) is comprised of the international shipping registries operated by the United Kingdom, three Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey) and eight UK Overseas Territories (Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and the Turks & Caicos Islands).

Any vessel registered in the UK, a Crown Dependency (CD) or an Overseas Territory (OT), is a "British ship" and is entitled to fly the British Merchant Shipping flag the 'Red Ensign' (or a version of it defaced with the appropriate national colour).

As far as I remember Cunard & P&O ships fly an un-defaced version.

I have just completed my first Cunard cruise and I think their product is very distinct: I loved the serenity and elegance (almost "gravitas") of the entire experience. No other affordable line provides such ballroom dancing, this number of music venues, invited lectures, queens room tea, strict dress code that is followed and appreciated by the majority, and the space per passanger in public areas.

I believe there is a large enough public for elegant experiences, if the prices are kept within reason. If they dumb down their product too much, passengers will start looking elsewhere.

This being said, I would love to see Cunard introduce more tables for two, because I am not the only one dreading the lottery of tablemates and being forced befriend strangers (as a young couple, I lucked out and got a table for two - otherwise this might have been my first and last Cunard cruise, while it ended up being a wonderful experience that I want to repeat and try QM2).

When I was on NCL last year, I met a man who said he hated the QM2 because he felt there was nothing to do. I told him not everybody feels the need to be entertained 24/7, that some people want to go on vacation and sit quietly somewhere to read a book. He thought I was weird.

We did a P&O cruise as our first experience and enjoyed it, on our return were told by a friend that we must try Royal Caribbean as it was younger and more "fun" Turned out our next trip was QM2 and we were both so happy we spent the voyage walking round smiling inanely despite my partner really messing his back up on day 3 and having to make multiple trips to the chiropracter just to keep moving. From the adverts I think we'd find a RC cruise overwhelming and uncomfortable.

We just found the whole experience relaxing and elegant as someone else said. We're more than capable of filling our time ourselves but appreciated some of the speakers, shows & activities available. In day to day life I would get fed up with all the dressing for dinner stuff but it certainly makes a holiday feel special. We don't dance either but found watching those that could while listening to the band (one we'd never listen to on the radio) and sipping a drink was far more to our taste than the loud overt almost desperate "fun" that passes for entertainment in some other holiday venues (& life in general). I would like to try other cruise lines but at the moment I'm just captivated by the warm glow we got from travelling TA by sea and can't wait for our next crossing.

While I think all of the posters have done an excellent job of describing what makes Cunard Cunard vs. the other lines may I suggest that you spend the next 30 minutes reading over the various threads of interest on the other cruise lines CC boards. Nothing will give you a better idea of what Cunard is all about and how different they are than that exercise.

Enjoy.;

Interesting question..

When it comes to cruises I would say there a little like HAL and P&O and far away from the likes of Royal C - whose new boats seem to resemble floating shopping malls crossed with a theme park that went wrong.

I actually think HAL do the cruise side of things a little better and have a better range of boats more suited but for me Cunard are all about Transatlantic and its here I think they win hands down. (Then again they dont really have any competition)

Excellent topic.

I have been blessed to do a TA on the QM2 in June 2014. Loved everything about the ship and the Cunard experience. Cunard's adult and intelligent product, lectures, afternoon tea and classy and elegant product and focus on the history of Cunard and the ship experience was greatly welcomed by myself and my husband.

We have travelled with Celebrity since 1992 and have experienced other lines. In 2015, most cruise lines are dumbing down / casualizing their product to appeal to john Q public.

Further, the product offering (grill vs others) on the QM2 was not obvious and in your face, not like the out of control product class segmentation on Celebrity and NCL for example. The cruise lines are huge hipocrites in 2015 as the cruise industry and many on the CC boards for other lines continue to whine about Cunard. The cruise industry has now created ships and products that are far more segmented than the French line of the past or Cunard of today.

There are many cruising folk who want and will pay for an adult, elegant and less programmed cruise/TA experience. Count me in. I have named them "Celebrity refugees" - those Celebrity patrons like me that are looking for a replacement cruise line where they can get equivalent food, good music, traditional dining, good service etc. On my Jan 2015 south america cruise on Infinity, everyone at my table had traveled Cunard and were going to do more business with Cunard because Celebrity's standards have declined so much. Other people on this cruise made the same comments that they were looking for the Celebrity "of old".

Cunard is missing an opportunity to reach out and take all these patrons of other lines. Cunard can price this elegant product a bit less than Crystal. I would say Cunard's food quality needs to increase to match Celebrity and that is it.

Cunard - get ambitious and grow your unique product. The public is diverging - majority participating in the dumbing down and the "great rush to the bottom" and others going in the opposite direction to products and services of high quality.

Happy and safe sailing to everyone

ABoatNerd

Excellent topic.

I have been blessed to do a TA on the QM2 in June 2014. Loved everything about the ship and the Cunard experience. Cunard's adult and intelligent product, lectures, afternoon tea and classy and elegant product and focus on the history of Cunard and the ship experience was greatly welcomed by myself and my husband.

We have travelled with Celebrity since 1992 and have experienced other lines. In 2015, most cruise lines are dumbing down / casualizing their product to appeal to john Q public.

Further, the product offering (grill vs others) on the QM2 was not obvious and in your face, not like the out of control product class segmentation on Celebrity and NCL for example. The cruise lines are huge hipocrites in 2015 as the cruise industry and many on the CC boards for other lines continue to whine about Cunard. The cruise industry has now created ships and products that are far more segmented than the French line of the past or Cunard of today.

There are many cruising folk who want and will pay for an adult, elegant and less programmed cruise/TA experience. Count me in. I have named them "Celebrity refugees" - those Celebrity patrons like me that are looking for a replacement cruise line where they can get equivalent food, good music, traditional dining, good service etc. On my Jan 2015 south america cruise on Infinity, everyone at my table had traveled Cunard and were going to do more business with Cunard because Celebrity's standards have declined so much. Other people on this cruise made the same comments that they were looking for the Celebrity "of old".

Cunard is missing an opportunity to reach out and take all these patrons of other lines. Cunard can price this elegant product a bit less than Crystal. I would say Cunard's food quality needs to increase to match Celebrity and that is it.

Cunard - get ambitious and grow your unique product. The public is diverging - majority participating in the dumbing down and the "great rush to the bottom" and others going in the opposite direction to products and services of high quality.

Happy and safe sailing to everyone

ABoatNerd

We've done 6 trips on Cunard & 2 on Celebrity(the Eclipse)With the exception of the Grills(of which we did 2 trips one Princess Grill, the other Queens grill)We found the food on the Eclipse to be generally quite a bit better in Moonlight Sonata versus Britannia. The last trip on the QV, we found some dinners..the Beef Wellington & Lobster Thermidore (on the last formal night)to be down right miserly in portion & the staff not too willing to bring extra. On the Eclipse they were more than glad to bring extra,if asked. The dresscode, while not as formal as Cunard was followed pretty well on our Caribbean trips. Where Celebrity does fail miserably, is their inability to provide a proper tea service. Staff was great on both lines,however with more European staff on the Eclipse, there was a bit more professionalism in the MDR. The Grills on Cunard had more European staff than Brittania. The quality shows in the Grills.Entertainment is about equal. Hopefully Cunard now has more updated shows. 5 times seeing "Appassionata" got pretty boring, even when updated. Both line had good comedians & such. The Magician Ping Fei from China was outstanding on our last trip.(the Eclipse) Hope to see him again. I have to give Cunard an A & Celebrity B- for their musicians overall. Overall I think they are both great lines. I just wish Cunard would do more Caribbean trips as they used to do.

It's interesting. I've cruised on Cunard for years. Starting with a cruise on the regrettable Cunard Princess and most recently on the QM2 in 2008 and 2009. Within the past 8 months, we cruised on Celebrity (Infinity, 14d S. America) and Princess (Star Princess, 2d repo) - both of these lines we'd enjoyed but not booked in the past dozen or more years. A perusal of my sig will also indicate recent cruises on Crystal and HAL.

I think that Cunard is just about right in its positioning and image. They have the heritage and unique old-school dress code. (perhaps further softening the details in the future [clutch your pearls!] may be needed ahead). However, let's be frank, it's not a growing market. A couple more ships? Perhaps.

Cunard vs Celebrity

Both lines pretty much live on over-representation and puffery.

Celebrity has an undeniably cool product. However, their old slogan "exceeding expectations" would be laughed at these days. (The same economic pressures affect all the lines) Instead, the MDR fare, which used to be truly spectacular, is now well-executed at best. The feints to international or high cuisine are mostly total fails. Not that the food was bad, It was usually very good, It just wasn't what it was said to be.

More problematic was the (lack of) sommelier service. I put the main blame here on Celebrity for not adequately staffing the wine service - especially when most passengers are on their 123-go promo with free wine.

Cunard also is a bit of a puffed pastry. The standard cabins and MDR dining in the Britannia is well-executed. However, it's not really "luxury cruising." (As was the case for most passengers on all of Cunard's finest ships). There's a bit of vegas tinge to all of the extruded faux woodwork that's distressing to me.

In any event, in Cunard vs Celebrity - Different worlds. Yes, some discerning Celebrity cruisers may also appreciate Cunard, but few new cruisers attracted to Celebrity would be likely Cunarders.

Can Cunard get some of Celebrity's cool? Perhaps. In only one area I can think of. Discos are always problematic on Cunard (and most other direct competitors). On the Infinity, there was a very cool DJ couple who had a consistently cool vibe in the atrium. Mostly background. Techno. At happy hour, riffs on Motown and similar... Especially cool to the adjoining martini bar.

Transfer to Cunard? Think of a cool rooftop bar in Europe. On Cunard, use the pool (QM2 deck 12) and adjacent area as cool, airie. Less dancing than a traditional disco (though a small dance floor would be available) Its strength would be expensive cocktails. This area also should be dress-code free.

Cunard vs HAL

Of all the lines out there, the ones that are most similar to me are the corporate cousins HAL and Cunard. Not only are the hulls on the QE & QV similar to many on HAL, both lines share a similar proud heritage and respect for traditions.

As it is, HAL has succeeded in offering a wide variety of itineraries around the world. Considering their similarities, and their corporate connection, it might be useful for them to do a closer partnership. Especially, when you consider that HAL's Mariner's Club has been lagging in comparisons to others recently. It might be mutually beneficial for HAL to rework their club and then provide mutual credits and elite status with Cunard CWC. Both lines have similarly dedicated cruisers - linking the two would be a win-win.

Cunard vs Princess

Our recent return to the Star Princess reaffirmed our thoughts of the line as the "California beige, no-surprises line." Inoffensive to a fault. And continually delivered on promises of consistent quality of its mass market product.

I'm currently leading a Roll Call for a QM2 crossing that has a lot of passengers returning from an earlier eastbound repo crossing on a Princess ship. The differences between the two groups have helped illustrate to me the cultural differences.

Like with HAL, I DO see an opportunity to partner on itineraries to match QM2 crossings with Princess European cruises and repo crossings.

Cunard vs Seabourn, Regent, Oceania, Crystal

Once they sold the Sea Goddesses, it made sense for Cunard to sell at the premium level with HAL and Celebrity, although positioning the product to look like luxury market. When selling luxury, the grill experience is a truly unique product. However, the experience on a large cruise ship is always going to have difficulty competing with true luxury lines on small ships. In short, I don't see a huge increase in that sector for Cunard ships.

Edited by MarkBearSF