Insurance for a trip a year away?

mafig

I went on over 25 cruises without purchasing insurance.

Since we are getting older I decided I needed it.

The last couple of cruises we booked with a TA that offered insurance as a perk.

However, the cruise I'm looking at now is a year away and the TA has informed me that pre-existing will not be covered unless I pay for the entire amount now, which I don't want to do.

How do you cover pre-existing without doing this?

I'm making a confession here .... I am completely stupid on trip insurance and when I found a TA that offered it, I was very relieved. But now.....? (Plus one of the reasons I was going to book this cruise so far in advance is that deposit is only $99 per person).

I went on over 25 cruises without purchasing insurance.

Since we are getting older I decided I needed it.

The last couple of cruises we booked with a TA that offered insurance as a perk.

However, the cruise I'm looking at now is a year away and the TA has informed me that pre-existing will not be covered unless I pay for the entire amount now, which I don't want to do.

How do you cover pre-existing without doing this?

I'm making a confession here .... I am completely stupid on trip insurance and when I found a TA that offered it, I was very relieved. But now.....? (Plus one of the reasons I was going to book this cruise so far in advance is that deposit is only $99 per person).

We suggest that you contact Steve at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(others will probably chime in with similar suggestions!)

He'll help you with a policy that works better.

We happen to choose Travel Insured through him, and the policy we use only requires that we insure the deposit amount, within 20 days of first making that payment. (There are other choices if you've missed that.)

Then, as we make other payments, we just up the insured amount, slowly, or if no other payments until final payment, then all at once.

Ask him for ALL of the specifics so you make sure it's a good match.

He/they will help walk you through this, if you are new to travel insurance.

Also, Travel Insured PAYS their claims! That is important, obviously :)

Two responses, two slightly different answers. No wonder I'm confused.

I'll probably call Steve tomorrow, since his name seems to pop up pretty often.

Just seems like work to me.

Thanks for the responses.

• 2 months later...

If you've already contacted Steve you may already have the answer, but I would always recommend getting your travel insurance when you book and pay any monies for your holiday (whether it be the deposit or the full amount) because insurance isn't retrospective. If you've declared a pre-existing medical condition and the insurance underwriters have accepted it then you have peace of mind that if your medical condition prevents you from travelling you'll be covered and reimbursed. If on the other hand, you plan to take out the insurance just before going on holiday (say 10 days) then if anything happens before then, you won't be covered.

My OH has a cancer that the insurance underwriters accepted but she recently had a stroke. The insurance company will reimburse the cost of our holiday if we cancel but the underwriters have now excluded strokes from the policy for at least 6 months. Luckily the holiday company has agreed to credit what we've paid towards another holiday next year.

Hope this helps.

We have also purchased Travel Insured and we only had to insure the deposit. We booked our cruise in March of this year and it isn't until November 2018. Like GeezerCouple said you will need to up your coverage if you make more payments or purchase airfare or other prepaid expenses. Make sure you do this within the time frame to keep your waiver of pre-existing conditions. We had to do this when we took advantage of the AMEX $100 offer. Since we made 2 payments of $500 we increased our insurance for that additional amount the day we made the payments. We called Steve and he took care of it and charged the additional cost of the insurance to our credit card. Very easy.

Shop around for the policy that you feel serves you best. I ended up with Nationwide insurance's cruise-specific policy available through http://www.insuremytrip.com. With that policy, you can purchase the policy just before final payment, rather than just after initial payment, and still have coverage for pre-existing conditions. https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-choice.html