Solo cabins on royal caribbean???

cruisingirll59

My last cruise back in Nov.'09 I was able to switch from a confirmed cabin number to a cat. Z, which is athe lowest guarantee inside cabin cat. when it is offered. Perhaps more often than not this is not available for solo cruisers but it does pop up from time to time. Also, try calling RCI vs trying to do this on line and see how that goes.

A yo-yo or RCI's pricing structure? I am getting the hang of how lines like Cunard re-sell and discount cruises at certain points (you can pretty much set your clock by 6 months before the cruise), but RCI continues to baffle me, not least if you are a single traveler.

Currently there is a cruise on Independence where you cannot book the lowest grades if you are a single traveler AT THIS POINT IN TIME, you could last week.! Adjust the number of people to two and a plethora of standard insides become available.

Further to this irritation you can't book a guaranteed cabin as a single traveler at the time of writing, yet you can book a standard inside guaranteed if you're a couple.

This changes from week to week and day to day.

So, at present, if you want to book this cruise on your own not only will you have to pay 75-80% surcharge for being on your own but you can't book the lowest grades or even have a chance of an upgrade with a guaranteed cabin

It's because attracting two passengers will be more profitable than letting a traveler cruise solo. Two people are going to shop more on board, drink more, play more bingo, gamble more, etc.

They are probably offering you solo occupancy in categories where there are the most available staterooms and/or where there are the most available staterooms that have a double occupancy allowance limit.

When I try to book one room with 4 people versus two rooms with 2 people each my choices always change based on my occupancy.

RCCL is simply trying to maximize their occupancy.

It's because attracting two passengers will be more profitable than letting a traveler cruise solo. Two people are going to shop more on board, drink more, play more bingo, gamble more, etc.

They are probably offering you solo occupancy in categories where there are the most available staterooms and/or where there are the most available staterooms that have a double occupancy allowance limit.

When I try to book one room with 4 people versus two rooms with 2 people each my choices always change based on my occupancy.

What you are saying makes sense to me, but, I couldn't have said it quite as clearly. :) Thank you.

I have noticed that single supplements are less on sailings that are already a good bargains if booked as doubles.

I certainly can't complain about Royal Caribbean's single pricing, it is much cheaper than NCL, whose single rate is 200% about 99.9% of the time.

Are you doing this via RCI's website? Maybe try checking this via an online travel agency. (Plenty of them are advertised here on Cruise Critic.) Or, try telephoning RCI to see if their reservation agents have different access. The problem you're encountering my simply be a system glitch.

Hope this helps!

Have tried 3 agents and called RCI direct, it's policy it appears.

I hope NCL Epic flip the singles cruise market to make the cruise lines think the opposite. I understand the whole double occupancy = more revenue, but with the hike in new ships, more capacity I hope those who put in cabins like Epic and P&O Aurora actually prove that there is a untapped market and, seeing all that matters is $$$, a profitable business model .

I am sorry to dissappoint you but I do not agree with you view that cruise lines loose in every way if one person is travelling alone. The surcharges of 150 to 200% make sure that they do not loose. Also as a solo travel yo are more in the situation of taking organised tours from the ship, which couples do not necessarily do because they can arrange things by them selves. Besides, as a solo travel you can not become cabins on the lower end of the price and also you are not offered the best cabins. So you have the feeling of paying more for less.

If you look at the offers of cruiselines, you will see that there are all sorts of cabins available if you are prepared to book for 2 people. if you want to book for one, suddenly most of the categories dissappear and you receive the offer at increased prices for cabins which are not good located.

It is a pitty that this is the case. Solo travellers are usually well travelled people worthed to receive a better treatment and not to have the feeling of punishment because you decided to travel alone.

My experience has been completely different than yours. I have never had any trouble booking the cabin I wanted. I have book rear facing balconies and mid ship balconies, include a prime "hump" balcony. I even took a suite solo once.

• 1 year later...
What you are saying makes sense to me, but, I couldn't have said it quite as clearly. :) Thank you.

I have noticed that single supplements are less on sailings that are already a good bargains if booked as doubles.

I certainly can't complain about Royal Caribbean's single pricing, it is much cheaper than NCL, whose single rate is 200% about 99.9% of the time.

If the singles rate is 200%, you are better off making up a name as a second passenger then you will sail solo in your cabin.

I apologize. Let me sum up what I think I learned. You can get any cabin as long as you are willing to pay for two people. Sometimes, you can pay 125% to 200% [or paying for two], but typically you have to wait for last minute. Smaller cruise lines may have singles.

I am a teacher, and cannot cruise last minute. I cruise February break and Easter break, both peak times. Thus, it seems NCL Epic is currently the best deal for those of us travelling solo and not wishing to pay 200% and who must travel on teacher breaks.

Please correct me if I got anything wrong. Thanks.;)

I apologize. Let me sum up what I think I learned. You can get any cabin as long as you are willing to pay for two people. Sometimes, you can pay 125% to 200% [or paying for two], but typically you have to wait for last minute. Smaller cruise lines may have singles.

I am a teacher, and cannot cruise last minute. I cruise February break and Easter break, both peak times. Thus, it seems NCL Epic is currently the best deal for those of us travelling solo and not wishing to pay 200% and who must travel on teacher breaks.

Are you talking about winter vacation or any vacation. You have the whole summer off, don't you?

I got a 125% for the Mariner Med 27 March Balcony. It never appeared online.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Actually, I think Costa has some solo cabins. I thought it was the only cruise line did; I did not know Carnival had any ships with single cabins.

The 1A's have a single down and a bunk so not really singles. Used to be popular with singles b/c price but with the 200% supplement in place not so much any more.

I must disagree. I've had no problem whatsoever booking highly-desirable aft cabins and mini-suites as a solo. What cruise line(s) are you referring to that won't offer good locations to solos?

I picked a cabin on Carnival Legend and was told I couldn't book it solo as it was a 3 person cabin. Asked for a supervisor and got it. (Might get moved I suppose.)

Another poster on Carnival is having problems getting a cabin with 3 people in a cabin that is for 4.

The 1A's have a single down and a bunk so not really singles. Used to be popular with singles b/c price but with the 200% supplement in place not so much any more.

Not all the 1A cabins are like this. On my Miracle sailing, I had a 1A cabin. It was an inside setup like the other inside.

• 2 weeks later...

RCCL does now have 3 single cabins (inside) on Radiance. Last I checked I still could not book one online or see a diagram. Have not seen any definate info about them on here either. Will keep looking. I would like to know what they are charging for them. Maybe someone out there knows.

• 1 month later...

The supplement doesnt really matter. Especially on the Epic where the solo cabins cost the same or more than the inside cabin w/ supplement on most sailings.

Either way, its just like booking a hotel room. The room costs $1500 whether its for 1 or 2 people. If it was marketed that way and sold that way there would be less chatter about it. But they want to charge for each head as well 3rd and 4th person rates. So this is the cruise lines reward, all the grief over supplements.

And since RC usually comes out better in straight $ vs. carnival I'll go w/ the better deal.

Although, when these new ships and refurb's are completed (3 years) there will be many more solo priced cabins and we will see where the big supply/demand line will fall. But I'd think it will still be right about where it is today, about 150% of a PPDO price on a similar price cabin.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I realize this thread was started several years ago, so things have changed. I've sailed with NCL on the Escape in the solo cabin and have the Epic booked for February. I love the fact these are numerous solo cabins, there is a solo lounge set aside for the solo cruisers, and there is a solo cruise director. It makes it easy to meet others; in fact the cruise I'm taking in February is with 4 others I met on the earlier cruise.

I'm also cruising solo on the Princess Crown this fall. Princess rarely offers sales with no single supplement but they did for this cruise. I found it on the thread for solos here on Cruise Critic where solos post deals they've found.

Lastly I did find another solo deal on a website that cannot be named here on CC on the RCCL Anthem of the Seas for January 2019. They have just a few solo cabins with balcony (Deck 6/7). They are advertised as Super Studio Ocean View with balcony. I've read the few reviews I've been able to find, and everyone seemed satisfied. While it is small, I don't spend a huge amount of time in the room, though the balcony will be nice for a little quiet time.

Congrats on your wonderful solo cruise finds. I travel solo but I am restricted to only Dec. and Jan. Otherwise, I am caring for my ill mother 24/7. I am booked this year and the next, but would love to find out about your Jan. 2019 deal.

Lastly I did find another solo deal on a website on the RCCL Anthem of the Seas for January 2019. They have just a few solo cabins with balcony (Deck 6/7). They are advertised as Super Studio Ocean View with balcony.

While the trend now seems to be on newbuilds, (and some retro's) to include a few "solo" cabins...these are sometimes costlier than simply booking the lowest priced standard cabins, even with the full single supplement....

So shop carefully...;)