Planning a short stay in Nassau

marina.diom

Based on all the helpful info in this thread, I think I've come up with a tentative plan for our short stay. Would really like to hear opinions from the experienced folks. This is our first time in Bahamas, and first time cruising for that matter.

We are going to be in Nassau from 7 am to 2:30 (so short) on Monday in December. I like beaches and decided that my mom and i would enjoy the pretty Cable beach more than Junkanoo. So I contacted Melia hotel and they told me I can get a $40 day pass, no food.

Here is my plan: get out early, walk to the streets, maybe walk to Junkanoo beach and check it out. I've read that in the morning it's less crowded, so that's great. Then catch bus # 10 to Melia closer to 9 am. Stay there till about noon. Some people posted here that there is a Daiquiri Shack somewhere nearby - does that ring a bell? Is it worth stopping. I would also like to stop by the John Walting's Distillery. Do you think we can get a cab at noon from Melia, ask them to take us to the Waltings and then get back to the port? Is that enough time, between noon and 2:30?

Ideally I would love to squeeze in Senor Frogs somewhere here but I really don't think we'll have time. What do you think?

After typing this out, I realize my plan is not very tight for now. I'd love to hear thoughts on how to make this work from those who have been and enjoyed Nassau. Thanks so much in advance.

You need to be back on the ship by 2. I'd just spend the time at Melia, and grab a couple daiquiris, and then head back to the port. It's about a 15 minute drive. You could get dropped off at senior frogs, and then walk from there.

I agree with mjkacmom, you don't have enough time. Skip Watlings and just spend the time at Melia. You can get daiquiris at Senor Frog's too. Don't try to do everything or you'll be rushing around, not enjoying anything.

Also, I wouldn't go out walking early. Things don't really open up till around 9 anyway.

Thank you both for your advice. Will skip unnecessary steps. So you don't think we can walk to Junkanoo right after we get off the ship? We arrive at 7, which will get us out around 8 most likely. or no? Melia pass is valid starting at 9 am. I just wanted to use that time before 9 to actually see a bit of the city.

You'll be able to get off the ship at 8 with no problem. The reason I said you might want to wait is because nothing is open that early. Scubagirrl, who is a local in Nassau and often answers questions on this board, has said that earlier in the morning, you may run across homeless people who are just waking up so it's better to wait to walk around till the stores open and more people are out and about. I haven't seen this myself but I respect Scubagirrl's advice since she lives there.

I don't know why the cruise ships pick those awful hours. It's not enough time to do much, especially since everything starts around 9. :(