Flushing or Astoria from LGA

skings

Hi arriving late Friday before Saturday October cruise out of Red Hook. Looking at Fairfield Inns by Marriott. Two elderly ladies traveling.

Not familiar with either area but both have similar rates and airport shuttle. Is it an either or choice?

Reviews are equally positive for both. Any help

Hi arriving late Friday before Saturday October cruise out of Red Hook. Looking at Fairfield Inns by Marriott. Two elderly ladies traveling.

Not familiar with either area but both have similar rates and airport shuttle. Is it an either or choice?

Reviews are equally positive for both. Any help

Your date is Oct 20, right? What is your hotel budget?

On United.com I'm seeing the Holiday Inn Express Wall St in Downtown Manhattan for $240 + tax.

It's 2-3 blocks from Pier 11 where you can take the new MTA ferry to Red Hook for $2.75/pp. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

This is such a better location then Queens, lots of things to see in area

It's for 2 elderly ladies arriving late on a Friday evening into LGA for next day sailing at Brooklyn's Red Hook pier ... I am not sure if they have any sightseeing plans in the morning? Or, plan to or need for a late dinner, "late" in downtown's Financial district isn't going to be any better on meals ... when we used to work in that area pre-911, lots of 24 hour deli (these days, not so much.) Edit - just saw their reply - mobility issues, so ...

Anyway, Flushing hotels for that night is $171 for the Marco LGA by Lexington and The One Boutique for $189 - plus taxes - both on Northern Blvd, with free airport shuttles (about 10 minutes away) & being near Koreantown & Chinatown, have good late night dining option and well priced - both are nice & I would put visiting friends & relatives there myself. Hyatt Place is one the newest with a great rooftop bar with Manhattan's skyline in the distance, on Fulton Square but very pricey @ $340 - doubled its grand opening price 2 years ago - a top choice.

Fairfield by Marriotts LGA - on College Point Blvd. ?? - is in the middle of nowhere, next to Con Ed facility, police tow pound & NYPD Academy - good & do lots of bus tour business - I would skip it.

Fairfield in Astoria is on the service road on the south side of I-278 in a mixed residential & industrial area, a CC'er stayed here last year & found it to be fine for an overnight stay, good beds & local deli, etc. within a 2 or 3 blocks walk. Like Flushing hotel, a car service to Red Hook in the morning is necessary - should run about $40 to $50 with tips, no tolls - if the ladies wished to be frugal, as light breakfast included (the followup/review is on here ... from 2016.)

Thanks "mking" ( its a small world with nicknames I am skings, have son who uses mking) for your suggestion of the Marco hotel. Booked a 2 bed room for just under $200 with AARP rate. My friend and I were going to grab a bite to eat at the airport before boarding the free shuttle, but this hotel has an onsite restaurant.

We both have been to NYC in our younger days so no tours, but looking forward to boarding the

Regal Princess Sat AM.

Thanks ... for your suggestion of the Marco ... no tours, but looking forward to boarding the Regal Princess Sat AM.
Yes, they have a complimentary hot/cold breakfast buffet in the morning. Right out the front door to the left is a deli, next to the Mobil gas station - across is old, historic Flushing Town Hall. Around the corner from busy Northern Blvd. is Farrington Street, lots of small Asian dining places. There's a Subway & cafe across the street, Kennedy Fried Chicken a block east before Main Street. Good choice, considering your needs & budget - please write your post-stay review/comment so that we know & can go thumbs up or down for others.

There are others (tourist class hotels) in the area, like Ramada Express, Red Roof Inn, Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Best Western, etc. that I would not recommend since we live not far from there & DW works just south of that busy corridor. Hyatt Place is nice, overpriced IMO but taking business from the Sheraton LGA (a benchmark for 3 decades, as it was once the "only" game in that part of Queens) - and we pass by the Fairfield about 20x a week, LOL.

Ask the front desk upon arrival & check-in, on what & where to go for dinner (or takeout/delivery) as they know who's where & open at those hours, walk 2 block east to Union Street - and, a lot of eatery are open late in the night (not sure if some are 24/7 anymore). Oh, do re-check every now & then in case of a price drop.

For transportation to Red Hooks, Carmel or Dial7 would be fine, plenty of cars - not really necessary to book in advance, fare quote that I see is $45 with the $3 digital discount applied - no tolls (for a standard 4 door sedan, more than enough for 2 or 3 adults + luggage). Enjoy !

Edited by mking8288