Welcome & Farewell Dinners

AdventureGal79

Hello!

Our dining reservations are now open. I've heard that the main dining room (The Restaurant) plans somewhat elaborate welcome and farewell dinners.

Is that true? If so, what night do those usually happen (so we don't book a specialty), and what kind of food can we expect?

If it matters, our first overnight is still in port, leaving the following day.

On our recent Midnight Sun cruise the second night out was Lobster night, whole Maine lobster and the next to last night lobster thermidore, essentially a half lobster.

Enjoy.

Yep, exactly the same on our recent Homelands.

Great, thank you!! So, on our 7-night/8-day itinerary (Italian Sojourn), if I book specialty on nights 4 and 7, we should be okay? I do suppose it's easy enough to move, if needed.

You should be OK and yes, it is easy to change. You could check the menu and availability of all restaurants on your TV. That what we did :) I know that you could stop by the specialty restaurant or World Cafe to book but we were lazy...lol

Hope someone can clarify something for me. When you state "the second night out" does that mean the 2nd night on the ship (going on Homelands) or second night after we leave original port. Sometimes I can be to literal fr my own good. Thanks for the help here.

Hope someone can clarify something for me. When you state "the second night out" does that mean the 2nd night on the ship (going on Homelands) or second night after we leave original port. Sometimes I can be to literal fr my own good. Thanks for the help here.

I am also literal, so I have the same question! :D Our itinerary stays in our first port overnight before leaving the second night.

Second night means second night, we overnighted first night in embarkation city too.

Yes, I was on Homelands and the dinner was on the second night we spent on the ship July 16 - we boarded July 15th). I guess Viking wanted to accommodate people who arrive late. The Farewell dinner is on the night before last. We overnight in Bergen and our last night was July 28th (leaving on July 29th) so the dinner was on July 27th. :)

Just out of curiosity, are there OTHER choices on the menu those two nights besides lobster? We are traveling with friends from New England and they have never been "impressed" by ship board lobsters so they may actually "pass" on the lobster those nights.

Just out of curiosity, are there OTHER choices on the menu those two nights besides lobster? We are traveling with friends from New England and they have never been "impressed" by ship board lobsters so they may actually "pass" on the lobster those nights.

Of course! There are other choices including some dishes that are ALWAYS on the menu. Chairman's choice Norwegian salmon is exceptional! And I had salmon in many places including home ;) plus steak, vegetarian, etc.

The day of embarkation is the first day. The additions to the menu for dinner on the second night have been lobster and beef Wellington on both of the Viking Ocean cruises that we have done. Otherwise, the dinner is not noticeably "elaborate." All of the regular options are available.

I am a great fan of Viking Ocean cruises, but don't get your hopes up too high regarding these dinners. It's just lobster, probably about 1 and 1/4 lbs. The beef Wellington is a slice, not a full pastry. Among the lobster and beef Wellington dinners I have had, these are not remotely close to the best. The lobsters are noticeably better at any random lobster shack in Maine. We would take another dinner in Manfredi's over these. You are paying a great deal for a wonderful cruise. You can duplicate these dinners for $50 per person anywhere.

Thanks for your candor, Richard! Being raised in Nova Scotia, I am choosy about my lobster, I'll likely not stress about it then! It sounds like I can prepare better myself (I live in the Midwest, so it's decidedly sub-par around here anyway).

If the lobster wasn't swimming this morning, it isn't fresh by Maine or Nova Scotia standards. We live in NY and won't order lobster here, so anything on a ship would be old, old, old!

If the lobster wasn't swimming this morning, it isn't fresh by Maine or Nova Scotia standards. We live in NY and won't order lobster here, so anything on a ship would be old, old, old!

I'm jumping on this bandwagon, too. I tried it on our first cruise and I didn't bother on our next. Living in New England has spoiled me.

Oh, and I don't miss baked Alaska parade either. ;)

NOW, NOW..... lobster on a cruise is a tradition! Being far from the sea, I do know fresh water fish, walleye is the best in the land of 10,000 lakes .I will try lobster when on a cruise... maybe even the beef wellington too...:cool: