Mature Teen on Insignia -- Thoughts?

njguy_south

I have sailed Crystal (among others), and no one seems to be concerned with quiet, mature teens being onboard. (I was on one line where people were offended children, though behaved, were onboard.) Would a teen, who has sailed, and is quiet and behaved, be welcome onboard the Insignia?

He is aware there are no teen activities, and that other teens may not even be sailing. And although he enjoys the pool, he is not the canonball type.

Your thoughts?

I am not known as being child friendly, but from your description I* don't think I'd have ANY problem with your son.

Also, officers often have their children on board at times. So your son might well find a companion near his own age. (No guarantees!!) It does depend on the time and itinerary.

I think from complaints I have seen here is that there are more about parents of obstreperous children than there are of the children themselves!

It sounds like your son will fit in just fine ...

Mura

Personally I think it is a good thing that he wants to be with you. One time on The Regatta there was a teen Russian young man. He came to Trivia every day and was quite bright. I enjoyed him. Not much chance of another teen though. You only get to enjoy them for a brief moment and then they are gone. Bring him on.

We brought our then 16 year old son on the Marina several years ago. He loved it (even preferred Oceania to Crystal -- he thought it had better in-room movies and food). The other guests were kind and welcoming. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My only concern would be for the teen and boredom. There is little for him to do and he will be surrounded with passengers much older than he is.

Why would a mature teen be bored? Apart from missing a nightclub,if that's what he does normally,there is plenty he can do.Library to check out ports of call,Internet,board games,outdoor games,tours,eat,drink,interact with 'older passengers'.Cooking,puzzles,painting,films,gym and fitness,pool,daily activities,quizzes,write a blog about his day,etc...He could find out on the roll call if there are any other teens onboard if he was concerned.The fact that he wants to go,is a good thing.It is a wonderful opportunity for a great experience for a young lad and I wish we could do the same for our grandsons

In life we all do journeys that we are 'unprepared' for or are different from our usual journeys,that IS life and we learn so much from this experience.

We can't suggest that people who are young,physically disabled,mentally impaired or culturally different should think hard about cruising with Oceania because we have our opinions.

OP,take your young man and look at the positives of sailing with Oceania and go from there.Enjoy your travels together.Wonderful memories.

There has been mature teens on several of my Oceania cruises and they were well received by fellow passengers. The teens very much appreciated it when other passengers would recognize and talk to them. Our children when teenagers would have loved Oceania, but alas the cruise line was not in service when they were teens.:D

I think he would be OK with "O: as long as he will look for things to do. That said if he likes to be around people his own age, maybe not. If their isn't a lot of sea days, he'll be able to get off the ship which will be a plus. If you have a lot of sea days like a crossing maybe not. Let him go online and check it out.

We just got off the Insignia on Thursday with our 16 year old. We were surprised by the number of children on the cruise as we had prepared Gus to be amongst the youngest on board. I was even more surprised that he didn't go out of his way to hang out with the other teens. Part of that might have been that most were girls. ... as an only child he is used to being around adults. He made lots of friends on board, playing ping pong, talking about lacrosse and hockey, participating in the Big O points activities. He also worked his way systematically through the DVD library.

One thing that I did was to schedule some private excursions that were more adventurous than the ship offered.

The biggest conversation starter turned out to be our lacrosse team jackets. We packed them due to the itinerary (Reykjavik to New York) as they are warm and lightweight. They opened lots of doors.

Gus is hoping to join us again, though 2019 is probably the earliest we could plan another trip.