Google map

jollyflute

I have been using google maps to plan all my DIY walking tours. I pick the sites I want to see and chart them for a 60+ minute walk. That'll give us 4-5 hours for enjoying the stops. It's great for cities and towns that have attractions that are close together. I did this for Paris London Barcelona Athens and my upcoming cruise in October. I've also used the transit option but it doesn't always work in the smaller towns.

I always plan and print a driving itinerary to go along with my gps.

I have been using google maps to plan all my DIY walking tours. I pick the sites I want to see and chart them for a 60+ minute walk. That'll give us 4-5 hours for enjoying the stops. It's great for cities and towns that have attractions that are close together. I did this for Paris London Barcelona Athens and my upcoming cruise in October. I've also used the transit option but it doesn't always work in the smaller towns.

I always plan and print a driving itinerary to go along with my gps.

Hi lamchops,

Thanks a lot for your post. Our cruise will stop for a day in Athens on Sept 15 and this is our first time in Athens.

After quite a research we realize that the walk up of 500 ft to Acropolis Hill is quite a strenuous effort. Therefore we plan to skip the hill just enjoy the museums and nearby districts. Is the ascend really bad for people in 60s/70s you think? Or is it still doable?

I am planning a DIY walk from Athens Acropolis museum thru Plaka and Monastiraki district to National Archeological museum and then back to the Cruise Bus stop. I'd appreciate if you could explain more on how you set the gps coordinates and chart for 60 min+ walk. Do we have to use coordinates or POI names will do?

Since you had been to Athens, I hope we can get as much help and information you can give.

Thanks again. Cheers

Jollyflute

It depends on your fitness, and the weather. If you walk up through the Plaka, all but the very end is a gentle ascent. The last maybe 100 foot elevation gain can be a little challenging, but if you are moderately fit, you should do fine. It was near 100 degrees when we were there (age 55-65 in a group of 4, with the older members not particularly fit) and we all made it. Hard to pass up the Acropolis.

Using Google Maps is great all over Europe. Just be sure to get a European unlimited data plan before you go. You will be using lots of data doing DIY walks with GM active all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Using Google Maps is great all over Europe. Just be sure to get a European unlimited data plan before you go. You will be using lots of data doing DIY walks with GM active all the time.

Or, you can use the wifi in your hotel (typically free) to either plan your walk and keep the map off line, or just plan out your walk, with notes, and not use wifi with costs at all.

Can anybody help to explain if I can use google map in Greece

Your help is much appreciated

Use maps.me app. Download the countries your going to. No need for internet or cell service. It uses your gps location for the map. We used it in Cuba where there is basically no internet and cell service. It worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would encourage you to go to the Acropolis. My husband is not very fit & had a quad bypass 10 years ago. We've been twice since his surgery. He's 70 now; we plan to go back again in 2 weeks. We took the X-80 express bus. It can drop you right by the Acropolis and is an express bus. A couple block walk down the side street & your there. As you ascend, your busy reading things and enjoying the ampitheatre, so there's plenty time to rest before making the final ascent up the steps. Watch out at the top, some of the rocks are a bit slippery, smooth from the erosion or us tourists! Bring an umbrella for shade and hide sone water in your tote. We even brought snacks from the ship. Enjoy Athens!

Hi lamchops,

Thanks a lot for your post. Our cruise will stop for a day in Athens on Sept 15 and this is our first time in Athens.

After quite a research we realize that the walk up of 500 ft to Acropolis Hill is quite a strenuous effort. Therefore we plan to skip the hill just enjoy the museums and nearby districts. Is the ascend really bad for people in 60s/70s you think? Or is it still doable?

I am planning a DIY walk from Athens Acropolis museum thru Plaka and Monastiraki district to National Archeological museum and then back to the Cruise Bus stop. I'd appreciate if you could explain more on how you set the gps coordinates and chart for 60 min+ walk. Do we have to use coordinates or POI names will do?

Since you had been to Athens, I hope we can get as much help and information you can give.

Thanks again. Cheers

Jollyflute

I do it the old fashioned way at home pre-trip and print a hard copy. That way I can add or delete sites to keep the walking to just over a hour. If it's just a couple of sites I'll do it on my iPhone and save it as a photo for reference without using data.

I'm 60 and overweight and can do it. The X80 bus drops off by Hadrian's arch and its a short walk to the museum then through the plaka to the Acropolis. I would not miss going to the Parthenon unless you have mobility issues.

Just play around until you find the combo of sites to suit your tastes and timeframe. Just type in Parthenon or ancient agora etc and google maps will fill in the details.

The gps is for when I rent a car.

I would encourage you to go to the Acropolis. My husband is not very fit & had a quad bypass 10 years ago. We've been twice since his surgery. He's 70 now; we plan to go back again in 2 weeks. We took the X-80 express bus. It can drop you right by the Acropolis and is an express bus. A couple block walk down the side street & your there. As you ascend, your busy reading things and enjoying the ampitheatre, so there's plenty time to rest before making the final ascent up the steps. Watch out at the top, some of the rocks are a bit slippery, smooth from the erosion or us tourists! Bring an umbrella for shade and hide sone water in your tote. We even brought snacks from the ship. Enjoy Athens!

Motorcycle Gma and CruiserBruce: Thank you both for the encouragement regarding the Acropolis walk up.

It seems that we'll try to get there after all.

lamchops, its5pm, CruiserBruce, DT Cruisers: Thank y'all for the explanation regarding the maps.

I try to download the maps.me it seems it is a satellite based gps which will work without data or cellphone plan. I think I will try to use this app. The downside is the battery drainage.

Thanks again.

I've create a tool with most important attractions of Athens: http://istopoli.com/cruise/roundtrip/

you can find the faster round-trip by walking

Anapli thanks a lot for this special app. It must really an effort to come up with something like this. In case we have questions do you mind if we contact you by your yahoo address? Is it still working? Thanks again & cheers.

Anapli thanks a lot for this special app. It must really an effort to come up with something like this. In case we have questions do you mind if we contact you by your yahoo address? Is it still working? Thanks again & cheers.

yes.. is working...

• 2 weeks later...

Google Maps has an offline feature which allows you to download a map of an area (Say Athens). Do it from your smartphone and it is now available for 30 days. No data/wifi required. Only thing to ensure, of course, is to make sure the 30 days covers your trip data range. However, you can always re-download again for another 30 days.

Ken