Newark Airport to Port Liberty: Car Service or Uber?

tniem

Flying into Newark Airport same day as cruise departs*. Arrival is 11:50 am...RCCL wants us on the ship by 2:30...

My question is, by the time we get our bags etc we are hoping to catch an Uber to the port. Since we could possibly be in a time crunch if flight is delayed etc is it better to book a car service ahead of time? Or are Ubers available without a wait at the airport?

What is the traffic like? This will be a Saturday in September.

*Yes, we know flying and cruising same day is not recommended, but it was our only option. Yes we do also have travel insurance.

Flying into Newark Airport same day as cruise departs*. Arrival is 11:50 am...RCCL wants us on the ship by 2:30...

My question is, by the time we get our bags etc we are hoping to catch an Uber to the port. Since we could possibly be in a time crunch if flight is delayed etc is it better to book a car service ahead of time? Or are Ubers available without a wait at the airport?

What is the traffic like? This will be a Saturday in September.

*Yes, we know flying and cruising same day is not recommended, but it was our only option. Yes we do also have travel insurance.

You have absolutely no wiggle room in your timing. Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. You want a dedicated car waiting for you.

Traffic to the port should be OK, but there are never any guarantees on the NJ Turnpike. What exact date in Sep?

Traffic should not be a significant obstacle. In the OPs situation I would take a local taxi to the port.

Disagree with taking a taxi. The Newark and Elizabeth-based taxis that operate from EWR are often in horrible condition. I recommend a car service or Uber over taxis from EWR.

Disagree with taking a taxi. The Newark and Elizabeth-based taxis that operate from EWR are often in horrible condition. I recommend a car service or Uber over taxis from EWR.

Totally agree, but not with Uber in this case. Time is tight. You want something reliable. Weather could be a factor as well as traffic. You never know.

I had one death defying arrival at Cape Liberty, but fortunately on a cruise bus. Walked onto the ship at 3:15 for a 4 pm departure, but I arrived on a RCL sponsored bus, so they knew we were coming.

How easy to find an UBER in port to go back to EWR on Sunday after the cruise?

thanks

Most folks have reported no issues with Uber/Lyft, but one is two others have reported no availability. What time us your flight?

Most folks have reported no issues with Uber/Lyft, but one is two others have reported no availability. What time us your flight?

The key word here is "most" very worried when I have a 12:30pm flight and recent experiences from a few posters that none were available. This is the most stressful consideration for my upcoming October cruise....and what to do.

The key word here is "most" very worried when I have a 12:30pm flight and recent experiences from a few posters that none were available. This is the most stressful consideration for my upcoming October cruise....and what to do.

Don't stress. Take a deep breath and come up with a plan A, B, and C. It may cost you more money, but you should be able to easily make a 12:30 flight.

All plans involve getting yourselves off the ship in a timely manner. This could include doing self disembarkation (very popular at Cape Liberty) or ensuring you have an early departure number.

Plan A - Uber/Lyft

Plan B - taxi dispatcher - Shared shuttle

Plan C - taxi dispatcher - private car

Plan D would be to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo a specific pickup time before 10:00 am.

It's a Sat morning, so traffic between Cape Liberty and EWR should be minimal.

What are you doing pre cruise? Are you flying in the day of the cruise? If so, I'd be more worried about arriving at Cape Liberty in a timely manner.

Don't stress. Take a deep breath and come up with a plan A, B, and C. It may cost you more money, but you should be able to easily make a 12:30 flight.

All plans involve getting yourselves off the ship in a timely manner. This could include doing self disembarkation (very popular at Cape Liberty) or ensuring you have an early departure number.

Plan A - Uber/Lyft

Plan B - taxi dispatcher - Shared shuttle

Plan C - taxi dispatcher - private car

Plan D would be to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo a specific pickup time before 10:00 am.

It's a Sat morning, so traffic between Cape Liberty and EWR should be minimal.

What are you doing pre cruise? Are you flying in the day of the cruise? If so, I'd be more worried about arriving at Cape Liberty in a timely manner.

Have never had the need to use Uber/Lyft and certainly don't want this to be my first experience at this port.

Plan B...$20.00pp (worried about lots of wasted time)

Plan C... cost and are these clean dependable cars ?

Plan D...how hard is it to find your specific car service in this madhouse rush?

Plan E...cruiseline shuttle (I try to avoid this option always)

Over 20+ cruises with RCI and this is the first time I've had this concern arriving into a domestic or international port...Crazy I know :eek:

No worries about getting to the port as we're coming in day before cruise and more than likely will use a taxi from hotel (Comfort Inn & Suites...Elizabeth NJ) or the hotel offered shuttle ($) to the port.

Have never had the need to use Uber/Lyft and certainly don't want this to be my first experience at this port.

Plan B...$20.00pp (worried about lots of wasted time)

Plan C... cost and are these clean dependable cars ?

Plan D...how hard is it to find your specific car service in this madhouse rush?

Plan E...cruiseline shuttle (I try to avoid this option always)

Over 20+ cruises with RCI and this is the first time I've had this concern arriving into a domestic or international port...Crazy I know :eek:

No worries about getting to the port as we're coming in day before cruise and more than likely will use a taxi from hotel (Comfort Inn & Suites...Elizabeth NJ) or the hotel offered shuttle ($) to the port.

Do you mean Country Inn in Elizabeth or Comfort Suites in Newark? If you're staying at Country Inn in Elizabeth, why don't you just buy their transportation round trip for $35/pp? It's a very good deal and will get rid of all your stress.

Do you mean Country Inn in Elizabeth or Comfort Suites in Newark? If you're staying at Country Inn in Elizabeth, why don't you just buy their transportation round trip for $35/pp? It's a very good deal and will get rid of all your stress.

Yikes...Sorry :o...Country Inn & Suites 100 International Blvd. Elizabeth NJ.

Roundtrip...doesn't that mean on the return I would be brought back to the hotel?

I have a 12:30pm EWR flight cruise end day...how would that work...seems like a waste of time...yes ?

Yikes...Sorry :o...Country Inn & Suites 100 International Blvd. Elizabeth NJ.

Roundtrip...doesn't that mean on the return I would be brought back to the hotel?

I have a 12:30pm EWR flight cruise end day...how would that work...seems like a waste of time...yes ?

Call the hotel to find out how it currently works - shuttle times, drop off points, etc. They will ultimately drop you off at the P4 station to catch the Airtrain to the terminal because all the airport hotels have shuttles that do that. If you're flying in, you're going to have to take the Airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle, so you'll have that experience before you have to make a final decision.

It's always a question of balancing time, money and stress. If you want to keep your costs and stress levels down, you're going to have to spend some time. $70 round trip for 2 people between the EWR area and Cape Liberty is a rock bottom price. From what I've seen, the hotel shuttles are reasonably nice with adequate luggage storage. They're not fancy town cars, but they're also not beat up dirty taxis.

Call the hotel to find out how it currently works - shuttle times, drop off points, etc. They will ultimately drop you off at the P4 station to catch the Airtrain to the terminal because all the airport hotels have shuttles that do that. If you're flying in, you're going to have to take the Airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle, so you'll have that experience before you have to make a final decision.

It's always a question of balancing time, money and stress. If you want to keep your costs and stress levels down, you're going to have to spend some time. $70 round trip for 2 people between the EWR area and Cape Liberty is a rock bottom price. From what I've seen, the hotel shuttles are reasonably nice with adequate luggage storage. They're not fancy town cars, but they're also not beat up dirty taxis.

If using a private car service or the private cars at taxi dispatch, are they able to drop you at the terminal at EWR (using DL) or are they also limited to dropoff's at P4? Do all shuttles like the shared taxi shuttle at the port have to drop off at P4 or just hotel shuttles...what about the ship transfer bus option also?

Sorry if this is confusing...but it certainly is to me....so basically just who is allowed to drop off passengers directly at the terminal ?

If using a private car service or the private cars at taxi dispatch, are they able to drop you at the terminal at EWR (using DL) or are they also limited to dropoff's at P4? Do all shuttles like the shared taxi shuttle at the port have to drop off at P4 or just hotel shuttles...what about the ship transfer bus option also?

Sorry if this is confusing...but it certainly is to me....so basically just who is allowed to drop off passengers directly at the terminal ?

My understanding is that the drop off at P4 is required for hotel and rental car shuttles only. All the other "shuttle" (really a shared ride) services can drop off at the terminals. Hopefully someone else who uses these services will post as my experience is not current.

It is confusing. When you arrive at EWR, you're going to have to get yourselves to P4 in order to connect with your hotel shuttle. Your only other choice is to take a cab to your hotel. I took a cab to the hotel once with my mobility impaired mother because I didn't feel I could manage Mom plus all the luggage (even with a luggage cart) on the air train to P4 to wait for a hotel shuttle in the dead of winter.

Thanks all for your replies. I will check into car service pricing. Last time we were waiting for an uber at a airport it did take 20 minutes for him to arrive (vegas) we might not have 20 minutes to spare!

Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean offers shuttle service from the cruise port back to the airport after the cruise ? how much is that and where can you sign up for that one ? My flight is not until 3. so I am not too concerned on time

Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean offers shuttle service from the cruise port back to the airport after the cruise ? how much is that and where can you sign up for that one ? My flight is not until 3. so I am not too concerned on time

I believe you can book it on the ship. It's about $28/pp.