what type of gifts in addition to money for staff

trippintex

Our first cruise was this past December. A roll call group on another forum had a meet and greet and we were to bring a gift for exchange that was related to your hometown/state. We brought along chocolates that were made in Nebraska for the exchange and I kept a package back for myself. We received Ghirardelli white peppermint chocolates in the exchange. I didn't eat my held back chocolates since there was always something to eat or drink on the ship and neither of us was a fan of the white mint chocolates. We had some great conversation with an Alchemy Bartender so we gave her the Nebraska chocolates "to remember us by" (this was in addition to the cash tips we gave her with each drink). We weren't impressed with our room steward so we didn't leave her a cash tip (but we also didn't reduce our pre-paid gratuities because of her) but we did leave the chocolate we didn't want.

Sebleo,

Makes sense. We already prepaid the gratuities when we booked. However, if I do receive service I believe warrants additional $$$.

let say room service, or a large drink order, whatever. is a minimum of a few bucks good enough? what are your guidelines? we usually go to all inclusives. I'm a pretty liberal tipper.

Whatever feels right to you. We get the cheers package and treat the 15% gratuity as tips for non alcoholic drinks...sodas, bottles of water,etc. We tip $1 per alcoholic drink. We bring cash for this so we can have the cash ready with our sail and sign card for 2 reasons...1 the bartender gets the cash immediately, 2 we sometimes get served faster. You can also write in a tip on the receipt.

Most will leave a tip for the room steward on the last day. I don't know what the norm is today. We leave $20 for a good steward and $10 for a basic one. (Haven't had a bad one yet)

And most tip the waiters in the mdr on the last night. I really don't know what the norm is there. We started on our last cruise tipping each day. Ya never know what will happen on the last day...you may change your plans and not go to the mdr. We tipped $10 at each meal in the mdr. Had $5 ready for each brunch but skipped one day because the service was not good.

A couple of bucks for room service is good. Up to $5 for a large order.

Plenty of people just do the auto tips and nothing more so anything you give above that is good. Do what feels right for you...you can't go wrong. Have fun!

Whatever feels right to you. We get the cheers package and treat the 15% gratuity as tips for non alcoholic drinks...sodas, bottles of water,etc. We tip $1 per alcoholic drink. We bring cash for this so we can have the cash ready with our sail and sign card for 2 reasons...1 the bartender gets the cash immediately, 2 we sometimes get served faster. You can also write in a tip on the receipt.

Most will leave a tip for the room steward on the last day. I don't know what the norm is today. We leave $20 for a good steward and $10 for a basic one. (Haven't had a bad one yet)

And most tip the waiters in the mdr on the last night. I really don't know what the norm is there. We started on our last cruise tipping each day. Ya never know what will happen on the last day...you may change your plans and not go to the mdr. We tipped $10 at each meal in the mdr. Had $5 ready for each brunch but skipped one day because the service was not good.

A couple of bucks for room service is good. Up to $5 for a large order.

Plenty of people just do the auto tips and nothing more so anything you give above that is good. Do what feels right for you...you can't go wrong. Have fun!

I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to get away for a few days...

is it customary to give a gift other than cash gratuity to the service staff?

I'm a little confused on this. We are taking our first cruise in less than 2 weeks.

I need to gather as much info as possible, so whatever "tips" you can tell me is appreciated.

It definitely is not. AS you can read , many cruisers find the practice condescending. Most crew have just about one drawer to store stuff and have no desire for a trinket or hometown tshirt.

It definitely is not. AS you can read , many cruisers find the practice condescending. Most crew have just about one drawer to store stuff and have no desire for a trinket or hometown tshirt.

I don't think many people care what other cruisers find condescending. If I'm the one giving the gift, I only worry about what I and the person I'm giving it to thinks.

Yes we are just off the Glory Saturday and I passed individual bags of gummy bears from our huge candy factory they were all thrilled!! I did it in the middle of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Soak those Gummies in some booze first and they'll really be thrilled with receiving them! :')

Soak those Gummies in some booze first and they'll really be thrilled with receiving them! :')

Good one they were easy to pack and then I gave the room steward the Harry Potter jelly beans with one color good and one bad

I always give them cash and say thank you.

I have heard that they really like chocolates and silk stockings...... oh wait never mind that was from old world war 2 movie.

That's hylarious......YES it's very simple. They're there to make money so tip hard and give them extra cash and a positive review if they do you right. Engage and treat them like humans and not personal servants, learn their names even if they're hard to pronounce, and let them know that you appreciate their service.

It might be your trip of a lifetime or the year but it's just another shift to them so cash is King but basic respect and recognition is a close second.

• 11 months later...

Extra tip cash and a mention by name in the after cruise survey. The specific comments get posted in the crew areas and that means a lot plus it helps them get promoted. In the old days before cell phones, we used to bring phone cards with cash on them for the crew to use at phone booths in port. Now, just extra tip and good reviews in survey.

It's good you give them extra cash.

We always leave extra cash

The candy was from our Halloween cruise, and had told them to help themselves all week. I even told them they didn't have to take it, but did and were sharing it with the other stewards working our area of staterooms.

I was reluctant to even offer because a lot of the negative things I've read here about unappreciated gifts, but I can safely say the candy was enjoyed.

One year I decided bring some cash folded origami style into cute little animals for the people I wanted to tip extra, and especially for our room steward who always leaves us cute towel animals. I spent A LOT of time folding these intricate shapes, it was hard work! I was so proud of how they turned out, they were so cute and I had put so much work into them, I just knew the staff would love and appreciate my hard work and enjoy them so much. The first person I handed one too (bartender) took one look at it and acted like I had three heads for handing him this stingray dollar. Then when I gave my cabin steward his, he promptly unfolded it and thanked me, as I watched in horror that my HOURS of work were dismantled in seconds without even an inkling of acknowledgement that it was even a shape, yet alone something cute.......Lesson learned! I kept the rest of my origami dollars for myself. Flat, boring, shapeless cash only for extra tips!!

Normally only cash.

But we’re on the Splendor Journeys cruise. Going to bring some hats and gloves for our stewards. Last year, on the Miracle Journeys Cruise none of the crew were prepared for the cold, rainy weather.

Always bring some Texas made candy. Also discovered they like gift cards from CVS, Walgreens and Starbucks.

Sure, because rather than being able to spend the gift anywhere you limited them to one place. Would you rather have $10 cash that you can spend anywhere or a $10 gift card you have to spend on overpriced coffee?

Just because they smile when they accept it doesn't mean they aren't making faces at each other and rolling their eyes the minute you turn away.