Shower Only Cabin...Good/Bad?

skiingj

Hello fellow cruises - We are booked on a B2B on the NA in a few weeks time. The first portion is Alaska and the second is the Coastal. We had a VE cabin booked for Alaska but only a VE Guarantee for the Coastal. I'm assuming HAL gives priority to the people booked from YVR to FLL hence mostly guarantees on the Coastal.

HAL just informed us we have been moved to a VD a deck below and get the same cabin for the coastal. Which is good news so we don't have to switch cabins. In HAL's mind a deck 7 aft is a lower category than a deck 6 aft. Not sure it is in my mind but so it goes...

The big question is why are some of the aft cabins on deck 6 "Shower Only"? Are they smaller in some way? Not having a bathtub is no big deal but curious. Thanks in advance!

A VD cabin is a higher category than a VE. There is no difference in size between the cabin with a shower only or the cabin with a bathtub. Congrats on the upgrade.

The shower only is a god-send for people that have back and/or knee issues as it is difficult for us to climb over the side of the tub to get into and out of the shower.

I booked a shower only cabin on the Prinsendam for our 1st segment. Not out of choice, but because of cabin availalbility. I'm not keen on connecting cabins ;)

So, this will be an interesting thread.

My understanding is that shower only cabin bathrooms are a bit roomier? Not sure though.

I do like my bath, but I can cope with a shower for two weeks or have to have a connecting room or right. Next to the Crow's Nest.

The site that can't be named has no pics for this cabin, so I guess it will after next year ;)

we were swapped once to a "shower only" cabin and it appeared fine.....it didn't appear to effect main room portion and still gave us sufficient space.......but cant speak for the exact location on the ship as that might make a difference

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam July 22nd. We had an inside cabin with a shower only. All I can say is that the shower was one of the biggest showers that I have seen on any of our cruises with other lines. I LOVED it!

If it's anything like the shower only cabin I had on the Koningsdam, the shower is very roomy. Loved it all but one day.

That day the seas were a little rough and it was interesting trying to shower, stay balanced and keep the shower door closed. :D

Showers may vary with the configuration of the room. We enjoy a stateroom on some ships that has a wonderful extended balcony but has only a rather small shower with a shower curtain. Actually I prefer the HAL shower curtain in comparison to the tiny enclosed shower stall we had in the RCI Liberty of the Seas veranda.

If it's anything like the shower only cabin I had on the Koningsdam, the shower is very roomy. Loved it all but one day.

Ah, no, the Koningsdam has great showers and gets lots of praise. While I have not had a shower-only cabin on Vista or Signature ships, the mere fact that everyone goes gaga over those on the Koningdam tells me it is not the same.

Now the toilet on the Konigsdam is another issue, if you are on the taller side.

We do prefer showers without tubs, but the cabins and locations we prefer on HAL ships usually only have the regular tub/shower combination. We did have one with shower only, on the Eurodam, cabin 4168 with the double width balcony (nice), but it only had a small shower about one-half the size of a tub-size shower as shown on some HAL ship photos. It was more like an RCL normal size shower. For that reason, I have been leery of booking a shower-only cabin on any other HAL ship, not knowing if was the large or small size.

Edited by PSR

We do prefer showers without tubs, but the cabins and locations we prefer on HAL ships usually only have the regular tub/shower combination. We did have one with shower only, on the Eurodam, cabin 4168 with the double width balcony (nice), but it only had a small shower about one-half the size of a tub-size shower as shown on some HAL ship photos. It was more like an RCL normal size shower. For that reason, I have been leery of booking a shower-only cabin on any other HAL ship, not knowing if was the large or small size.

It won't be a problem on the Koningsdam, the showers are big.

Ah, no, the Koningsdam has great showers and gets lots of praise. While I have not had a shower-only cabin on Vista or Signature ships, the mere fact that everyone goes gaga over those on the Koningdam tells me it is not the same.

Now the toilet on the Konigsdam is another issue, if you are on the taller side.

Which is why I said "If"...Anyhow...agree about the toilets and I'm short (5'3"). My knees were just about hitting the shower wall.

While I know a tub can be a challenge for some with mobility issues, believe that many women really enjoy a bath.

Not just women. I really miss a tub on a longer cruise.(found out the hard way on the Zaandam).

Roy

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam July 22nd. We had an inside cabin with a shower only. All I can say is that the shower was one of the biggest showers that I have seen on any of our cruises with other lines. I LOVED it!

Do the shower only cabins have a hand held shower head or is it fixed on the wall? Considering my first inside cabin on Maasdam and it's listed as a shower only. Thanks in advance.

Do the shower only cabins have a hand held shower head or is it fixed on the wall? Considering my first inside cabin on Maasdam and it's listed as a shower only. Thanks in advance.

Inside cabins on the Maasdam have a generous size shower with a shower head that can be set on the wall, or removed, as you choose.

The sink/vanity area is large, as it takes up the area where the tub would be set in an outside cabin. Plenty of counter and shelf space there.