Independence first cruise

Nigel D

If you are on fixed dining, (rather then my time), check out your dinner table as soon as you board. Have you got what you asked for I.e. large table, table for 2 etc and is it in a position you are happy with. For example, we like a table for 2 but not near a wait station or the entrance. Explore the ship from top to bottom, talk to your fellow cruisers, they will be willing to share information and give you tips. Don't try and do everything. You will tire yourself out. Enjoy it.

I'm almost done with my review for this ship, our first cruise with RCI. It's in my signature, so feel free to read what I have so far.

I would definitely recommend the Grease show (but get there 45 minutes early - it gets packed). We did see the ice skating show, but we thought it was OK. Go to the trivia activities, if you don't mind giving those a try. We did several of them and had a lot of fun. We even joined with other people to make a bigger team, so it was nice to meet other people.

Explore the ship once you get on board, give yourself a little time to get your bearings. If you have Your Time Dining, you are seated at a table the first night. If you like your waitress (we had Natalia and she was great!!), then you can request that same table every night. It's good to make reservations for that too.

If you want to see the Royal Promenade parade, although it's a little cheesy, we got there about 30 minutes before and grabbed a couple chairs near the one bar. They do rope it off eventually.

I'm trying to think what else I can suggest. If you have any questions, please ask. We were just there last month. Enjoy!

Sign up for the Mix and Mingle. You might enjoy dining with others in the evening and making new friends (or finding out you prefer to dine alone!). Try it both ways. Just relax and have fun! We are on this cruise with you and looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on eight Royal cruises and I think Indy was the best ship so far. While it doesn't sound like much, check out the 80's night on the Promenade - the bridge lift where the singers and dancers are is quite impressive (although the Wife and I are a bit of geeks and are impressed with interesting stage tech).

If you like to see full grown adults make complete fools of themselves, make sure to see the Quest. It will probably be held in Studio B (ice rink, covered ice) - if you are adventurous, sit in the first couple rows. I have been a team captain before (nobody else in our section would do it).

Try the flow rider if the mood strikes you, the solarium is a great place to relax, and overall just go with the flow. Royal is pretty good about having tons of activities to keep you occupied or you can just relax by sitting on the pool deck and read a book.