Old San Juan Restaurants

brittaniemae

We've cruised out of Old San Juan a couple times (check out my reviews for detailed data on it). Our favorite places are Barrachina, Marmalade and Cafe Manolin. All of them are easy to get to and not too far from the port. And congratulations!!! We love sailing out of Old San Juan!

I really wish I could remember the name of where I ate, it was a restaurant that was at the back of a store in OSJ. Sounds kind of sketchy, but the food was delicious, the best Asopao con Pollo I have ever had in my life. If anyone else on here knows the name and can help me out, that is surely what I would recommend to you!

We had a traditional dinner at El Jibarito in OSJ. Get the fish...we tried other items, but the fried fish looked spectacular.

You have to try a mallorca at Cafe Mallorca. It's a lovely breakfast pastry and is perfect with a cafe con leche. That's my idea of a perfect breakfast...total cost $5 for a mallorca and two cafes.

You can get more recs if you hit up the San Juan port board.

Can you tell me how far the walk is to Marmalade Restaurant...my husband can't walk too far...could we get a taxi to the restaurant? Do we need reservations?

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

We've cruised out of Old San Juan a couple times (check out my reviews for detailed data on it). Our favorite places are Barrachina, Marmalade and Cafe Manolin. All of them are easy to get to and not too far from the port. And congratulations!!! We love sailing out of Old San Juan!

Can you tell me how far the walk is to Marmalade Restaurant...my husband can't walk too far...could we get a taxi to the restaurant? Do we need reservations?

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Hi dinojude, it is about a 5 block walk from the port and is slightly uphill. Its address is 317 Calle Fortaleza. It's not too difficult but if your husband has some mobility issues than yes, you can take a taxi there. It is right across the street from CasaBlanca, one of our favorite hotels in Old San Juan and we have taken a taxi there from the airport before. You can catch taxis right at the port as well as any where along the waterfront area.

La Bombonera for breakfast mallorca's (ham & cheese) and the Parrot Club for lunch/dinner food and drinks. Parrot Club was so yummy we went there pre-cruise and during our turnaround day on our B2B.

Is the Caribe Hilton or the Vanderbuilt worth checking out? Our ship is in port until close to m idnight so I am trying to come up with some ideas for dinner, etc. Thanks in advance for your input.

Never heard anything worthy of any restaurants in either hotel, nor anything worthy of just visiting either hotel.

Now, if you have the time and want to go "local", rent a car and drive out to the Rio Grande/Luquillo area. Really good BBQ at El Verde right on the main road in Rio Grande (bring your Google Translate so you can read the menu board) - it's kind of a "drive in" place, no indoor dining. You place your order and either take it to-go or find a picnic table there. Or, go up a little further to the famous food kiosks at Luquillo Beach.