use caution buying gift cards!

grumplin

We have/had an upcoming cruise next week to Cuba. We just got an automated call that our cruise has been cancelled due to non-payment. We paid almost the entire cruise with discounted gift cards from ABC Gift Cards. We called our travel agent, and our cruise next year, (which we had paid over $4000 with gift cards) is also showing a large balance due. We have contacted our bank as well as the gift card companies at this point. Not sure what else to do. I am sick over this. Almost $6000. I did have reservations about buying them, but they went through so we thought they were okay.

Oh wow! I am so sorry. You must have bought them awhile ago if your cruise was supposed to be next week. Our purchase had been within the last few weeks. I wonder how long this was going on before it was found? Is your travel agent able to do anything to help you get this cruise back?

We have/had an upcoming cruise next week to Cuba. We just got an automated call that our cruise has been cancelled due to non-payment. We paid almost the entire cruise with discounted gift cards from ABC Gift Cards. We called our travel agent, and our cruise next year, (which we had paid over $4000 with gift cards) is also showing a large balance due. We have contacted our bank as well as the gift card companies at this point. Not sure what else to do. I am sick over this. Almost $6000. I did have reservations about buying them, but they went through so we thought they were okay.

I so sorry this happened to you. Im shocked Carnival didnt contact you before cancelling. I would be quite angry about that. I hope your travel agent can help you. I would contact carnival and ask them to email you proof that the gift cards were fraudulent. You will likely need the emails to file with your credit card company right away. Im assuming you are past ABC 45 day guarantee.

I think all of us that got caught up in this should definately reveiw the sites we purchased from.

I think all of us that got caught up in this should definately reveiw the sites we purchased from.

Thank goodness I never went down the reseller market trail with my Carnival card purchases. All of my cards were purchased through legitimate vendors (AARP, Verizon and Allstate).

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I so sorry this happened to you. Im shocked Carnival didnt contact you before cancelling. I would be quite angry about that. I hope your travel agent can help you. I would contact carnival and ask them to email you proof that the gift cards were fraudulent. You will likely need the emails to file with your credit card company right away. Im assuming you are past ABC 45 day guarantee.

I think that is a good idea. We should review the sites we purchased from. I wonder how many other people purchased cards, and don't know yet. There is no way to get the word out there, but these companies that sold the cards should be contacting the people they sold them to, and let them know that there could be a problem. How many are planning to use them on the cruise to cover gratuities, etc...

Thank goodness I never went down the reseller market trail with my Carnival card purchases. All of my cards were purchased through legitimate vendors (AARP, Verizon and Allstate).

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I think that is a good idea. We should review the sites we purchased from. I wonder how many other people purchased cards, and don't know yet. There is no way to get the word out there, but these companies that sold the cards should be contacting the people they sold them to, and let them know that there could be a problem. How many are planning to use them on the cruise to cover gratuities, etc...

Your absolutely right! I did my review on CardCash on tow sites and see many similiar hid at the bottom of course! In all honest the rep I spoke with was not in the least bit suprised. When I told him Carnival said it was a very large problem he agreed. Im sure the companies dont really care if people get past the guarantee period.

What I worry about as well is that Carnival will stop accepting ALL gift cards unless you buy them directly from them as there seems to be a rash of fraudulent cards happening. I bought some from AARP to use on the cruise for sign and sail account but never considered buying them from a 3rd party re-seller for just this reason

What I worry about as well is that Carnival will stop accepting ALL gift cards unless you buy them directly from them as there seems to be a rash of fraudulent cards happening. I bought some from AARP to use on the cruise for sign and sail account but never considered buying them from a 3rd party re-seller for just this reason

I have never trusted those gift card resell sites...just seems too obvious since someone owned them before that fraud is rampant. I would rather just pay full price for my cruise and not worry about the hassle for a 10 percent discount

I have never trusted those gift card resell sites...just seems too obvious since someone owned them before that fraud is rampant. I would rather just pay full price for my cruise and not worry about the hassle for a 10 percent discount

Having now used one I agree! I saw the tip here and thought it was a fab idea! Ill just take the travel rewards I earn with my credit cards from here on out.

I have however sold unwanted gift cards to one of the sites a few times and just assumed they made sure they were all valid. I just sold a carnival gift card I recieved as a reward from a credit card company on Craigs list since I can no longer use it with this booking on my sign and sail. It never dawned on me there would be a huge scam going and so many people were dishonest.

I've only purchased my cards from Lowes, Publix, AARP Rewards for Good online, or Allstate Rewards/DriveWise App for Carnival gift cards at a discount. I haven't had an issue adding the physical cards or the emailed cards to pay for the cruise or add to the account online.

I just received my refund from cardcash for the fraudulent gift cards... Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention, otherwise, I would have boarded the ship thinking we had purchased a $200 shore excursion, only to find out that they had not accepted my payment (and having exceeded the 45 day limit to request my refund from cardcash)... I was also successful in purchasing three new discounted (10% off) gift cards from AARP (the were available today)! Yeah! This Forum is awesome!!!

I just received my refund from cardcash for the fraudulent gift cards... Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention, otherwise, I would have boarded the ship thinking we had purchased a $200 shore excursion, only to find out that they had not accepted my payment (and having exceeded the 45 day limit to request my refund from cardcash)... I was also successful in purchasing three new discounted (10% off) gift cards from AARP (the were available today)! Yeah! This Forum is awesome!!!

Did Carnival ever tell you that you can't use any gift cards for this booking? Please come back and let us know if you have trouble using that AARP card on your booking, or for your shore excursion.

Did Carnival ever tell you that you can't use any gift cards for this booking? Please come back and let us know if you have trouble using that AARP card on your booking, or for your shore excursion.

No -- Carnival never told me anything -- not even that my shore excursion was cancelled! Ugh! In fact, I guess I will call them to make sure I don't run into any issues using my AARP gift cards (thanks for the idea)! :-)

I just got off of the phone with Carnival. They confirmed that they were aware of the fraudulent gift card issues and that I will have no problem using my AARP gift cards for my upcoming cruise. They confirmed that they do not have a practice of banning people from using gift cards...I guess we'll see when I try to use my new gift cards... Thanks again, everyone, with your help resolving this issue!!

I just got off of the phone with Carnival. They confirmed that they were aware of the fraudulent gift card issues and that I will have no problem using my AARP gift cards for my upcoming cruise. They confirmed that they do not have a practice of banning people from using gift cards...I guess we'll see when I try to use my new gift cards... Thanks again, everyone, with your help resolving this issue!!

Interesting....I might just call them to see if I really have a ban....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Interesting....I might just call them to see if I really have a ban....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It would seem to be time wasted since there is validation Carnival has no such ban against using valid Carnival gift cards regardless of point of purchase.

Im glad it helped you :)

It would seem to be time wasted since there is validation Carnival has no such ban against using valid Carnival gift cards regardless of point of purchase.

That is not time clearly wasted. I was told by the Carnival rep very clearly I was not able to use gift cards on this booking from any source. It also said it in writting in the email from the rep. That is why I sold a $100 gift card I had yet to use. I recieved it as a credit card reward.

Except that I have an email from Carnival saying that I cannot use gift cards on is booking, that I can't use it to pay for the balance, or for on board purchases.

Except that I have an email from Carnival saying that I cannot use gift cards on is booking, that I can't use it to pay for the balance, or for on board purchases.

Same here. Plus verbal confirmation in my case.

Where you able to get your cruise back?

• 2 weeks later...
What? No credit card either?

correct, the only way I can make a payment is to let Carnival email me a credit card authorization form, then I have to email that back with all of my credit card information on it, in which I am not comfortable doing.

correct, the only way I can make a payment is to let Carnival email me a credit card authorization form, then I have to email that back with all of my credit card information on it, in which I am not comfortable doing.

just do it ... and then u can call c.c company to reissue u a new card

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app