How far in advance for Character meals?

I wanted to book a character meal for our family of 10 on our upcoming cruise in March. I am not seeing it on the cruise planner. Anyone know when they release these meals? I want to make sure we get it booked! My kids LOVE characters!

I was able to book the DreamWorks Character Breakfast (day 2) when I booked the rest of our dinners/specialty dining.

If I recall, that was the only character meal that was available.

Hope that helps!

Online in the cruise planner?

We were going to book it for Harmony but after reading many reviews of people who had done it decided not to pre-book and play it by ear. This was a Dec 17th cruise so loaded with families, reservations were available in advance but they were readily available on-board the ship as well. Ultimately we decided not to do it, we told my daughter & niece they could do it or we would give them the money for it for extra spending money, they opted to sleep later & have extra cash. You may want to do more research on it, not sure how old your kids are but all the reviews I read did not sound like a whole lot of character interaction. The characters do have times they show up for short meet & greets that your kids can take pictures with on the promenade that is free (just time in line).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were going to book it for Harmony but after reading many reviews of people who had done it decided not to pre-book and play it by ear. This was a Dec 17th cruise so loaded with families, reservations were available in advance but they were readily available on-board the ship as well. Ultimately we decided not to do it, we told my daughter & niece they could do it or we would give them the money for it for extra spending money, they opted to sleep later & have extra cash. You may want to do more research on it, not sure how old your kids are but all the reviews I read did not sound like a whole lot of character interaction. The characters do have times they show up for short meet & greets that your kids can take pictures with on the promenade that is free (just time in line).

Thank you for this info! My daughters are young will be 3 and 5 on the trip. I was hoping this would be an ok way for them to meet some characters without crowds. Not expecting much just a little extra fun on the trip!

My understanding is that its a crapshoot as to when reservations become available. There doesn't seem to be a set time (i.e. X number of days before sailing). It varies from sailing to sailing. You just have to keep checking your cruise planner.

I'm on Anthem in April 2018 and my other dinning reservations became available a few weeks ago. The DreamWorks breakfast just came available this week sometime.

We've done the breakfast with my daughter when she was 2 and 5, and will be doing it again next year when she is 6. Nothing I'd rave about, but for $10 its fine.

We'll be with our three young children on Liberty in a few weeks and are signed up for the character breakfast. I'm not sure when it became available, but we did book it probably 2-2.5 months back. For the five of us it was only $20. If I remember right, they only charged for the adults. Anyway, I've looked up youtube videos online and it looks pretty fun, and for so cheap, why not? Good luck and I will try to remember to update this when we get back and let you know how it was!

Thank you for this info! My daughters are young will be 3 and 5 on the trip. I was hoping this would be an ok way for them to meet some characters without crowds. Not expecting much just a little extra fun on the trip!

They also have "dance parties" basically a couple of characters dancing a couple of songs that kids can dance with them (very short) but your kids are probably the right age for it. There will also be a dreamworks parade but you may need to get early to it so they can see. We were on a sailing where the parade was at 9:00 AM so with that age might want to find a spot and let them eat something for breakfast while they are waiting to fill the time. Take a highlighter & go over your cruise compass the night before & highlight all the dreamworks stuff in one color, & your activities in another. That way they won't miss something like the parade because they are in the kids club or doing something else. It is a fun age with characters as it is all so real to them. Some of the meet & greets are professional photos only so either buy the photo package or have someone off to the side in a slight distance getting the photo. Don't forget to check your cruise compass day 1 as soon as you get onboard so you don't miss something there & ask in the kids club if they have any character happenings there (probably not but doesn't hurt to check).

• 2 months later...
We'll be with our three young children on Liberty in a few weeks and are signed up for the character breakfast. I'm not sure when it became available, but we did book it probably 2-2.5 months back. For the five of us it was only $20. If I remember right, they only charged for the adults. Anyway, I've looked up youtube videos online and it looks pretty fun, and for so cheap, why not? Good luck and I will try to remember to update this when we get back and let you know how it was!

Did you do the breakfast yet? If so what day of the cruise was it....and was it a sea day on your trip or a port day?

We did the character breakfast a couple of times when it was free a few years back. Personal opinion, we would not pay for it. Money is much better spent elsewhere. Music plays, a hostess tells the people it is your table's turn to take a photo with the character, kids run over, you shoot 2 or 3 QUICK photos before you are hustled away because the kids from the next table are there waiting already. Very rushed in our opinion.

You can do the character meet and greet photo opportunities all over the ship for free anyways. Some are busy, other times the characters are all alone walking around and you get 5 minutes with them. Best photo op we got was getting on the elevator and finding Gloria the Hippo riding up and down in the elevator.

It is a rip-off. Not worth $1. Same MDR breakfast but they cordon off a section for paying guest. Only difference is you kids get to have their photo with the DW characters. If you plan it well and arrive early you all can get your photos and videos during the promenade parade with the DW characters.

They were talking about where in the cruise planner they could find the place to make reservations.

Ken no reservation required. All they do is to cordon off an extra table for her. When I was there only about 15% of the tables were cordon off.

Edited by SG007

If I remember correctly it was not in the dinning area. I think it was listed under activities.

I think you are correct, it was available to book in either activities or entertainment. It was not in our cruise planner under ‘dining’.

We have been twice now with our son and he (and us :)) think it’s great fun.