Deck 13 Decision

CruiseMSC1st

OK, so have a decision to make on my Divina package:

Currently have 13085 (B2) booked but am able to swap to 13113 - which guess is a no brainier?

Alternatively I can upgrade to a B3 (13032, 13033, 13036, 13043, 13045, 1304)?

Comments would be welcome and if I go for the B3 upgrade which cabin would you suggest?

Many thanks.

Looking at the deck plan, I would take 13113 as the pictures show a clear view of the water below (no life boats) and no wall to look past if you look forward or aft off the balcony, plus it is mid ships.. Forward cabins have a chance of being a little bouncy in rough weather.

Edited by FireEater

OK, so have a decision to make on my Divina package:

Currently have 13085 (B2) booked but am able to swap to 13113 - which guess is a no brainier?

Alternatively I can upgrade to a B3 (13032, 13033, 13036, 13043, 13045, 1304)?

Comments would be welcome and if I go for the B3 upgrade which cabin would you suggest?

Many thanks.

It's not just a case of looking down and sideways, 13113 has the deck 14 overhang problem, but to a lesser degree than cabins forward of it. in addition it is directly below one of the deck 14 bars with the associated dragging of chairs, stools , tables etc, So is likely to have an overhead noise problem.

I know i suffered badly on an RCI ship on a brazil to spain repositioning cruise from exactly that.

THe B3 cabins you mention have no deck 14 overhang and only have the spa , a very quiet area, above them.

Also remember where they put the most expensive cabins , (in the yacht club) ; ON THE FORWARD HUMP, just above the B3 cabins.

Having cruised in a cabin on the forward hump of Davina I can say that the movement was very little if any at all.

All in all, i'm sure you will have a more pleasant experience in the forward cabins , unless mobility is a problem; because for guests with mobility problems there are long distances to walk to the MDRS etc.

Go for 13032 ; NO "white" area(possible source of noise) or lift opposite it only another cabin

pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks to all.

Don't believe 13113 is affected by Deck 14 overhang but accept there maybe noise from above!

Well you had better believe me about the overhang as here is an image showing deck 13 , and cabin 13113, in the shade.

THe red line marks the bottom of the shadow, and the thin red line around the cabins on the central hump show the all in shadow.

I'm known for supplying accurate info which i an usually back up with either an image or documentary evidence

So here it is

13113.jpg

and here is the original image (Which has been flipped to give a representation of the port side), that you can clearly see the shadow on, from which i enlarged the image above

divian2.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Ah - yes. I see what you mean!

Thanks for the evidence. I guess I'll pay the extra £340 for B3 you recommended then as don't see the point in having a balcony that's in the shade as kinda defeats the object...

Will I get any other benefit other than a better location?

CruiseMSC1st:-

Ah - yes. I see what you mean!

Thanks for the evidence. I guess I'll pay the extra £340 for B3 you recommended then as don't see the point in having a balcony that's in the shade as kinda defeats the object...

Will I get any other benefit other than a better location?

It depends on the new "experiences" policy.

On the MSC UK web site the "B3" cabins are now "Aurea" experience which include the allegresimmo package and 1 free spa treatment

But you'll have to check what is on offer in your marketting area as there are differences , especially in the drinks included.

Pete

PS i'm guesing from your use of the £ symbol you are UK based

Edited by Skier52

Here are the Aurea and Fantastica experiences as offered in the uk

AUREA

Put well-being, pampering and peace of mind at the heart of your cruise. In addition to all the features of ‘Bella’ and ‘Fantastica’, our ‘Aurea’ fares offer a series of relaxing benefits for both body and mind. Priority boarding means you’ll soon be relaxing in an elegant cabin where you’ll find a set of free wellbeing products as well as a complimentary bathrobe and slippers. Dine at the time of your choice in a reserved area of the restaurant and enjoy 24-hour unlimited drinks*. Improve your tan as you bask on an exclusive – adults only - private sun deck. Best of all, take advantage of a fantastic spa package including a spa welcome cocktail, one massage of your choice from the spa menu, tanning shower, private medical consultation with spa Doctor and unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout your cruise. Set sail for pure relaxation.

COMFORT

• Dream cruises on board modern ships with the Masters of the sea
  • Elegant cabins equipped with every convenience
  • Superior comfort ensured by free 24-hour room service (delivery is free)
  • Breakfast in your cabin (delivery + breakfast are free)

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

• Premium 20-hours-a-day buffet (gourmet menu for every moment of the day)
  • Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes
  • Unlimited drinks included (Allegrissimo! Package)

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Broadway-style theatre shows available almost every day
  • Pool area
  • Open-air sports facilities (Power Walking Track, Basketball…)
  • Extremely well-equipped gym with panoramic view
  • 50% discount on fitness classes (e.g. yoga) and personal trainer (subject to availability)
  • Entertainment activities
  • Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs…)
  • Recreational activities for children: foreign language learning games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our onboard staff (subject to availability)

RELAXATION & WELL BEING

• Wellbeing package including: Balinese massage, Solarium, welcome cocktail, access to Thermal Area throughout cruise

• Kit of wellbeing products (for face, hair and body) in each cabin
  • Relaxation amenities in each cabin (including bathrobe and slippers)

· Free access to the exclusive sun deck to enjoy the sun in complete tranquillity (available only for adults)

SERVICES

• Qualified multilingual personnel
  • Priority boarding & luggage service (only on embarkation day)

FLEXIBILITY

• Preference of cabin* (subject to availability)
  • Opportunity to choose among the best cabins available
  • Maximum flexibility in booking** (changing passenger name, changing dates)
  • Free time dining in a dedicated area of the restaurant

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

*For further details, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

**For more detailed information, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

FANTASTICA

Savour the Mediterranean way of life with a cruise dedicated to comfort and flexibility. Our ‘Fantastica’ fares offer all the benefits of ‘Bella’ plus a variety of extra privileges. Choose from prestigious cabins (including SuperFamily cabins where available) located on the upper decks, with rapid access to lifts and lounges. Make use of the freedom to change your booking details if necessary, including passenger names and departure dates: even cancellation is flexible. Enjoy 24-hour-a-day room service with free delivery and priority choice of dining times in our gourmet restaurants and the extra goodnight pampering of our Turndown service preparing your bed for the night. Have fun with dedicated activities for children, like foreign language games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our staff. And don’t forget those MSC Club points!

COMFORT

• Dream cruises on board modern ships with the Masters of the sea
  • Elegant cabins equipped with every convenience
  • Superior comfort ensured by free 24-hour room service (delivery is free)
  • Breakfast in your cabin (delivery + breakfast are free)

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

• Premium 20-hours-a-day buffet (gourmet menu for every moment of the day)
  • Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Broadway-style theatre shows available almost every day
  • Pool area
  • Open-air sports facilities (Power Walking Track, Basketball…)
  • Extremely well-equipped gym with panoramic view
  • 50% discount on fitness classes (e.g. yoga) and personal trainer (subject to availability)
  • Entertainment activities
  • Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs…)

• Recreational activities for children: foreign language learning games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our onboard staff (subject to availability)

SERVICES

• Qualified multilingual personnel

FLEXIBILITY

• Preference of cabin* (subject to availability)
  • Opportunity to choose among the best cabins available
  • Maximum flexibility in booking** (changing passenger name, changing dates)
  • Opportunity to book a Super-Family cabin for the whole family (where this cabin type is available)
  • Choice of dinner seating (subject to availability)
  • Priority in choice of dinner seating

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

*For further details, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

**For more detailed information, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

Pete

CruiseMSC1st:-

Yes, I'm expecting an email response from the agent but will call them tomorrow as I also originally thought that the B3 translated into the Aurea package - if so that will definitely justify the extra £340!

Thanks

Both the winter 2014/2015 deck plans and the summer 2015 deckplans show deck 13 (and deck 12 ) cabins on the forward hump as AUREA

This will help with my conversation tomorrow and hopefully will be included - as I was certainly going to purchase the Drinks package anyway (which I think would have cost around £200)!

Cheers.

Glad to be of service , even if you needed a little persuasion about my info :D:D:D:D

Pete

PS if you are upgrading and the YC is not too much of a strecccctch I'd whole heartedly recommend it . it's fabulous

Edited by Skier52

;).

Yeah my bad, I had only focussed on the deepest part of the Deck 14 overhang!

I suspect YC may be too much of a stretch on this occasion :( and as my first cruise experience I don't want to set the level too high!!

Appreciate your help.

;).

Yeah my bad, I had only focussed on the deepest part of the Deck 14 overhang!

I suspect YC may be too much of a stretch on this occasion :( and as my first cruise experience I don't want to set the level too high!!

Appreciate your help.

Don't forget to register for the MSC Club and you'll get a minimum of 5% discount on your next MSC cruise, as a CLASSIC Member , and very quickly you'll be a SILVER member ( about 2 x 7 day cruises and their on board spend get you there, 3 x 7 day cruises definitley Silver!!!) and then you get 8% discount. And the discount is off any deal you find and not off the brochure price

Edited by Skier52

Last question (for now):

the aft Deck 13 cabins (13195 to 13221 and 13196 to 13220) - guess the location may be noisy? Otherwise OK??

You're probably correct, it could have trolllies ,of cutlery, plates etc being dragged about when they set up in the early hours of the morning and of course there will be the early bird diners walking about and dragging chairs in and out of the table,

Get your questions in (to me at least ) before Monday as I'm going on the Opera repositoning cruise from Soutnampton to Cape Town early next week so will be "out of the office" for the rest of the month, give or take a couple of days

Pete

Edited by Skier52

So the price has increased to an extra £618 for the B3/Aurea!

Big difference and the main attraction of the Aurea package for me is the drinks (~£200)? So thats £400 extra to avoid potential noise in one of the aft B2s (if available)...

Decision time.

For that price difference I would probably go aft and buy the alligressimo risking the possible noise from the buffet, but that is only what I woiuld do,in the end the decision is yours

Pete

Edited by Skier52

meant to say 'avoid' any of the above!

none have a metal balcony

thosw opposite the entrance to the lift lobby(13195 - 13205 0n the port side and ;13196 to 13206 on the starboard side) may have a bit more noise from passengers emerging from the lifts and bring loud., but saying that the rest are opposite a large "white" space, who knows what noise may come from there but again it may totally free of noise making contents

you may want to consider moving down to deck 12 or 11 and eliminate the problem of the footfall on deck 14 and the white spaces of deck 13. you then have the choice of forward hump (deck 11 not the forward most 5 cabins , metal balconis) or rear hump ( deck 12 and 11 but not the rearmost couple of cabins , metal balconies )

Pete

Edited by Skier52