Are there bugs

Sun 4-ever

Question for folks I. Australia and New Zealand. I will be in Sydney and the Blue Mountains and New Zealand and surrounding areas in October, is this a buggy season? Will we encounter lots of mosquitoes ? How about flies?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flies can be a problem in peak summer, and in the more rural parts of Australia all year round, but October shouldn't be too bad. You shouldn't have any problems in the cities, but you might see the odd fly up the Blue Mountains if you're walking through the bush.

Mosquitoes aren't usually a problem in cities, and at sea. If you're going to the warmer parts of Australia it's wise to carry mozzie repellent though. We spent quite a few holidays up at Port Douglas, usually in September, and only noticed the odd mozzie or two at night.

NZ has sandflies, especially around Fiordland, but they stay on the shore so you won't be bothered by them onboard the ship. If you're doing any active excursions that take you into bushy areas it would be worth having some bug spray, just in case.

I heard that there are big cockroaches that are capable of flying in Sydney, where we will visit in late January.

In searching for accommodation, I intend to avoid hotels with kitchenette to minimize the chance of cockroach in my room. Is that a totally unnecessary worry? People traveling with us are rather phobic towards big cockroach.

I heard that there are big cockroaches that are capable of flying in Sydney, where we will visit in late January.

In searching for accommodation, I intend to avoid hotels with kitchenette to minimize the chance of cockroach in my room. Is that a totally unnecessary worry? People traveling with us are rather phobic towards big cockroach.

I really think you are worrying unnecessarily. We lived in Sydney for years and in all that time maybe had 2 cockroaches fly in the open balcony doors on a hot night. The chances of encountering a 'flying' cockroach in the city as a tourist is almost nil. Of course the smaller variety are present in every country in the world but you are no more likely to encounter one of these than you are in your home country.

Please don't worry and enjoy your time in Sydney, it's a lovely city.

BTW be aware that there are Aussies who love a joke and enjoy trying to terrify tourists with 'stories' about our wildlife. :D

It is very reassuring hearing this from someone who has resided in Sydney for years.

Perhaps, an elaboration is in order: I heard about the flying cockroaches from a trusted fellow Calgarian who did a work year in Sydney and Brisbane. We live in a cold city , where it could often get down to minus 30 degrees ( sometimes more ) in January. Cockroaches are not commonly encountered in our city. It was so uncommon that in 2012 , Public Health closed a restaurant because the inspector found cockroach in it. The health official suspected it came along with food shipment.

The article:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/22/alberta-health-services-closes-calgarys-globefish-sushi--izakaya-after-cockroaches-were-found