Which boat would you recommend for the "Cruise North" on the Hurtigruten next June

Tweets55

Hello, I'm a first time cruiser but an experienced traveler. We are planning a trip up the coast of Norway in June, '18.

I've read all of the threads about what to expect on this trip and we are very excited that these boats are not huge cruise liners. My question is .... which boat would you recommend? It looks like our options for departing in early June are: MS Nordkapp, Finnmarken, Polarlys, or the Vesteralen. I'm looking for help in choosing which boat would be best. (The Lofoten sounds wonderful but my husband gets sea-sick!) We love photography so any recommendations such as large cabin windows, large window in common area, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

PS If we added the excursion to the Geirangerfjord would we miss something spectacular? We would meet up with the boat again after 7 hours. (I think that's how it works?)

Many thanks,

Tweets55

M/S Vesteråler is a small ship, M/S Finnmarken is the newest ship however M/S Nordkapp and M/S Polarlys are renovated in 2016. My preference would be either M/S Nordkapp or M/S Polarlys and possible M/S Finnmarken. M/S Lofoten is old and imo not an option.

None of the ships does have large windows, but very nice panorama lounges with chairs.

For Geiranger fjord you will experience the fjord when entering - much of the same going back, so you will not miss anything. Yes, the stop in Geiranger is only 15 minutes so you will meet the ship at a later port of call.

We did sail M/S Kong Harald , very similar to M/S Nordkapp or M/S Polarlys - see my midnight sun review.

Don't miss cruising the Trollfjord as well as passing the Raftsund Bridge at midnight. Questions are welcome. Enjoy your expedition.

hxy6c2DUqXY

Dear hallasm,

Many, Many thanks for the information about the ships as well as the two videos about your trip on the M/S Kong Harald. It looks so beautiful!! One more question, the excursion to Lofoten - was it satisfactory, did you see enough or was it just the tip of the iceberg? We are thinking of getting off the ship and driving around for two days - from Solvaer to A at the tip. What are your thoughts? Worth staying for two nights?? Thank you!

I found the Lofoten Highlights excursion well high priced for what is was. A bus tour across the islands with few photo stops.

In order to provide my thoughts for He driving option I need a bit more background. How many days? The full 11 days or 6/5 north or south bound.

My preference would be a 6 days north bound cruise with pre-cruise driving through Southern Norway.

Clarification: what is 'A at the tip'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Trollfjord and the Midnatsol are the newest ships, though the Midnatsol is in the Antarctic in the winter. They are our favorite ships, partly because the lounges are great for viewing. We love the Lofotens, and have spent time traveling from one end to the other. In the area around Aa, fishing cabins, very updated!, could be rented. Our favorite "city" is Svolvaer, especially because of the North Norwegian artists. You can't go wrong in the Lofotens....I am afraid they are about to be "discovered".... get there before the hoards descend.

In order to provide my thoughts for He driving option I need a bit more background. How many days? The full 11 days or 6/5 north or south bound.

My preference would be a 6 days north bound cruise with pre-cruise driving through Southern Norway.

Clarification: what is 'A at the tip'

Dear hallasm,

We are considering the Hurtigruten Cruise North - 7 days. We'd travel North until Svolvaer - get off for 2 days and drive around - and then catch the next boat North. (I didn't realize the town at the Southern tip is spelled "Aa" - thank you Janetcbl!) The towns we'd see would be Aa, Reine, Ramberg, Ballstad, Unstad, Viking Museum, Henningsvaer, and Kabelvag. I'm just wondering if a two day stay (four sights a day) on Lofoten is enough to get a good look and a better feel for the area. Thank you!

The Trollfjord and the Midnatsol are the newest ships, though the Midnatsol is in the Antarctic in the winter. They are our favorite ships, partly because the lounges are great for viewing. We love the Lofotens, and have spent time traveling from one end to the other. In the area around Aa, fishing cabins, very updated!, could be rented. Our favorite "city" is Svolvaer, especially because of the North Norwegian artists. You can't go wrong in the Lofotens....I am afraid they are about to be "discovered".... get there before the hoards descend.

Dear Janetcbl,

Thank you so much - this is also what I wanted to hear "lounges with great viewing!" Svolvaer sounds wonderful - didn't now about the artists. I feel that maybe this area is well-worth the effort. Thank you!

Dear Janetcbl,

Thank you so much - this is also what I wanted to hear "lounges with great viewing!" Svolvaer sounds wonderful - didn't now about the artists. I feel that maybe this area is well-worth the effort. Thank you!

Aa isn't really the spelling...but I don't have the correct Norwegian letter on my tablet...it is an A with a circle over the A...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Problem with the special Norwegian characters and strange names. You can replace the Å with Aa.

The two day break is a brilliant idea and Lofoten is nice as by Janetcbl. Absolutely doable but it might have an impact of the price. A partly cruise might be as expensive as the full cruise. Check price. Alternative might be spending few days driving in the Bergen area. Different landscape, however as beautiful.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Problem with the special Norwegian characters and strange names. You can replace the Å with Aa.

The two day break is a brilliant idea and Lofoten is nice as by Janetcbl. Absolutely doable but it might have an impact of the price. A partly cruise might be as expensive as the full cruise. Check price. Alternative might be spending few days driving in the Bergen area. Different landscape, however as beautiful.

Thank you both for helping me understand that an A (with a little circle) and Aa (without a little circle) are the same town - I'm learning!! I appreciate you both taking the time to help me with the planning of our trip. I've almost got it set but now will have to look into costs - adding the Lofoten days and various excursions - to see how it all adds up! Happy Travels to you both. Tweets55

Looking forward getting your feedback on options and cost. You can disembark for the first leg in Stamsund and the embark for the last part in Svolvær. An alternative might be to disembark already in Bodø., it's a 5 hours drive by car from Bodø to Lofoten. Hurtigruten will arrive into Bodø at noon while it will be at Stamsund in Lofoten at 7 pm and Svolvær at 9 pm.

You should also consider to spend few days pre-Cruise In the Bergen area.

Dear Janetcbls,

Would you have any suggestions - in addition to the fishing cabins near Aa - for hotels/inns/cabins for three nights in the Lofotens? Thanks very much.

Dear Hallasm,

I will post our plans once I get everything booked in September! Thanks again!

Dear Janetcbls,

Would you have any suggestions - in addition to the fishing cabins near Aa - for hotels/inns/cabins for three nights in the Lofotens? Thanks very much.

Dear Hallasm,

I will post our plans once I get everything booked in September! Thanks again!

I'm afraid I can't help with hotel names. I was connected with a school near Svolvaer where I lived. Check out TripAdvisor for suggestions, which I have found to be very helpful.

My BIL rented a cabin at Moskenesstraumen Camping for a couple of nights when they were traveling Norway. He said the view was amazing but doesn't remember how much they were charged. He was a bit meh about the showers.

I have to admit that I don't think you have many other options... Å Rorbuer or Camping... I think Smaken av Lofoten and Å Rorbuer are the same but could be wrong.

There are a lot of options from the standard hotels, apartments, cottages and camping cabins - many at very nice locations. Consider a central location - driving from Harstand in north to Å in south is five hours. Just to avoid to see the same narrow road too many times.

Lofoten is very popular in June - I'll recommend to book early since many hotels are sold out very early - the same for rental cars.

Looking forward hearing more from you planning.