Curling irons on Amawaterways

IaTravelGirl

I recently received my river cruise documents and noticed in the information that you can't bring curling or straight irons on board. I am not a diva, but need my straightening iron. Does anyone know if it is easy to use the irons that AmaWaterways states are available on ship? Also, do I need to bring my own hairdryer? First river cruise and not familiar with all of it yet. Thanks.

We have been on 2 Amawaterways ships and they do have a hair dryer in every room. I have thick hair and they worked great, so no need to bring one. I can't answer the curling iron question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recently received my river cruise documents and noticed in the information that you can't bring curling or straight irons on board. I am not a diva, but need my straightening iron. Does anyone know if it is easy to use the irons that AmaWaterways states are available on ship? Also, do I need to bring my own hairdryer? First river cruise and not familiar with all of it yet. Thanks.

Are you sure they don't mean irons and not curling irons? Most cruise ships, large and river, don't allow them. I have always taken my curling iron and had no problems. Several years ago I purchased one with a European plug and don't have to worry about a converter/adapter for it. Of course, they generally don't have an outlet in the bathroom, so using it is generally at the desk in the cabin.

Cole

We have been on 2 Amawaterways ships and they do have a hair dryer in every room. I have thick hair and they worked great, so no need to bring one. I can't answer the curling iron question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that great information. I didn't think I would need a hairdryer, but just making sure. :)

Are you sure they don't mean irons and not curling irons? Most cruise ships, large and river, don't allow them. I have always taken my curling iron and had no problems. Several years ago I purchased one with a European plug and don't have to worry about a converter/adapter for it. Of course, they generally don't have an outlet in the bathroom, so using it is generally at the desk in the cabin.

Cole

I am glad to hear that. Maybe it isn't a big deal. It said curling irons.

I am glad to hear that. Maybe it isn't a big deal. It said curling irons.

From the AmaWaterways website: Curling Irons

For safety reasons, the use of your personal curling iron is restricted on board the ship. A limited number of curling irons are available at reception.

I just found this on the Amawaterway site... maybe you better double check with them before you pack. Clothing irons are prohibited.

"Curling Irons

For safety reasons, the use of your personal curling iron is restricted on board the ship. A limited number of curling irons are available at reception."

I was kind of surprised. To read thst also in my cruise docs, i interpret curling iron is different from a flat iron, im bringing my flat iron. I was on ama in december and cant recall but im sure i must have had my flat iron, im biarding prima on the 17Th. Lets hope as im doing pre and post cruise and need my hair iron

What is the difference between a "personal curling iron" and a curling iron that you get at reception? I thought a curling iron was a curling iron. ;p
Are you aware that standard European electricity is delivered at twice US voltage (220 versus 110 volts [there is also a frequency difference, but that is immaterial for resistance devices]). While most electronic devices have built in transformers to handle both voltages, electrical resistance heating devices do not. Some, but not all, electrical resistance heating devices do have a non-automatic mechanical switch, which IF ENGAGED, will limit your US device to operate only on low power (which given the increased voltage in Europe will be equivalent to high output in the US). If you don't have a mechanical switch, or don't engage it, and run the iron on medium or high, it WILL catch fire. People who think that all curling irons are the same are precisely the reason the company wants you to use theirs which is designed for Europe.

Are you aware that standard European electricity is delivered at twice US voltage (220 versus 110 volts [there is also a frequency difference, but that is immaterial for resistance devices]). While most electronic devices have built in transformers to handle both voltages, electrical resistance heating devices do not. Some, but not all, electrical resistance heating devices do have a non-automatic mechanical switch, which IF ENGAGED, will limit your US device to operate only on low power (which given the increased voltage in Europe will be equivalent to high output in the US). If you don't have a mechanical switch, or don't engage it, and run the iron on medium or high, it WILL catch fire. People who think that all curling irons are the same are precisely the reason the company wants you to use theirs which is designed for Europe.

I am one step ahead of you. Several years ago I purchased a curling iron with the 220 plug - so my curling iron meets their standards. I would advise any lady who plans to travel to Europe frequently to also invest in one. I believe I purchased mine in a local beauty supply store, but of course, you could always go shopping when you arrive in Europe.

Cole

I was kind of surprised. To read thst also in my cruise docs, i interpret curling iron is different from a flat iron, im bringing my flat iron. I was on ama in december and cant recall but im sure i must have had my flat iron, im biarding prima on the 17Th. Lets hope as im doing pre and post cruise and need my hair iron

Yes they are different, as one curls, the other straightens. Both will have the chance to catch fire as Traveler Tom says, as they both operate the same way.

We just picked up a dual voltage curling iron for an upcoming land tour in Europe. They certainly exist--don't understand what AMA's issue is.

The issue is that while they exist, many people don't know they need one.

From a safety perspective, it is easier to ban them, than it is to risk fires from both 110V devices and dual voltage devices that are not switched to the correct voltage...

If you have a model that operates ONLY on 220, I would GUESS the boat would allow that. But some companies do not allow personal extension cords but will loan you one, presumably because they know the quality and condition of theirs but not yours.

I just returned from onboard the AmaVida - the Douro River cruise.

I can't address the curling iron because I don't use one. However, the HAIR DRYER provided by AmaWaterways worked just fine. BUT, there is no outlet in the bathroom. (I get that, they don't want the risk of using electricity around water.)

I had to unplug the lamp on the desk and use that socket. Then, I had to lean way over the bed where the mirror was located to see myself and dry my hair. There was a socket in the entry way, but that was not close to a mirror.

Several ladies onboard were talking about the inconvenience of where the placement of electrical sockets are in the stateroom. At least on the AmaVida, there are no sockets close to mirrors!

I just returned from onboard the AmaVida - the Douro River cruise.

I can't address the curling iron because I don't use one. However, the HAIR DRYER provided by AmaWaterways worked just fine. BUT, there is no outlet in the bathroom. (I get that, they don't want the risk of using electricity around water.)

I had to unplug the lamp on the desk and use that socket. Then, I had to lean way over the bed where the mirror was located to see myself and dry my hair. There was a socket in the entry way, but that was not close to a mirror.

Several ladies onboard were talking about the inconvenience of where the placement of electrical sockets are in the stateroom. At least on the AmaVida, there are no sockets close to mirrors!

But don't they have an outlet that says "electric razors only"? Why is it OK to use an electric razor, but not a hair dryer. I have never been able to figure that one out.

Cole

But don't they have an outlet that says "electric razors only"? Why is it OK to use an electric razor, but not a hair dryer. I have never been able to figure that one out.

Cole

Because, typically, hair driers require more power than shavers.

Plugging in (and turning on) an appliance that uses higher power than a shaver (usually a low power appliance) can blow the circuit.

The issue is that while they exist, many people don't know they need one.

From a safety perspective, it is easier to ban them, than it is to risk fires from both 110V devices and dual voltage devices that are not switched to the correct voltage...

Can you plug in a converter and use it that way?

It's just so silly that I even think I have to have mine, but you know how it is when your hair is a mess. You feel like a mess. :)

Can you plug in a converter and use it that way?

Most convertors that are small enough for you to consider taking with you will not handle the Watts... (note, a voltage convertor is a very different device to plug adapter)

Have you taken a look at yours though, does it have a voltage switch on it?

If it does then I'd be tempted to take it with me and make 100% sure it is switched correctly .

This has the feeling of being one of those rules that isn't about banning specific devices in general, more about ensuring safety for everyone from those who don't know there is a problem...

Now I'm confused... we purchased a voltage converter which converts 220V to 110V. It comes with the EU plug, and we have to use an adapter to use in NA. I have only used it for charging phones, cameras & tablets, and it works here fine. Will it work on the ship or would it have problems.?

Now I'm confused... we purchased a voltage converter which converts 220V to 110V. It comes with the EU plug, and we have to use an adapter to use in NA. I have only used it for charging phones, cameras & tablets, and it works here fine. Will it work on the ship or would it have problems.?

Phones, cameras and tablets are close to 100% compatible with both voltages without a converter so I'm not sure why you have this in the first place?

However, they are also all low wattage devices.

Take a close look at what you have there and you'll see somewhere on it a limit either in watts, or amps on the output.

Still not sure why you are using it, but don't try to use it with something like a hair dryer or curling irons...

We just got it more for the convenience of being able to plug in more than one item at a time, and figured that getting a converter would be better. We use it a lot here when we get in from a day travelling, to charge up for the next day. I don't bother with hair dryers or curling irons, but figured it would be helpful to have the converter just in case.

Because, typically, hair driers require more power than shavers.

Plugging in (and turning on) an appliance that uses higher power than a shaver (usually a low power appliance) can blow the circuit.

My question should have been why is it not dangerous to use an "electric" razor in the bathroom where there is water when the purpose for not having an outlet for a hair dryer in the bathroom was because there is water there. I would imagine either way of getting electrocuted would be the same. (just kidding).

Cole