What clothing to pack for early September Alaska cruise?

OldSaltyCruiser

Pretty much the same as for any other month.

Layers ....the layer next to your skin is usually a tshirt (long and short), followed by your warmth layer (sweatshrt, hoody, fleece pullover), then topped with a waterproof jacket.

I wear jeans and khakis, and sneakers and comfortable walking shoes. Pack a pr of shorts in case you have warm weather, a swimsuit if you might use the pool.

If you have serious hiking, fishing you might want waterproof pants and hiking shoes.

And take a small daypack so you have somewhere to store layers; if the day turns ugly you can pull out your jacket, or, if it gets warm you have a place to put your layers. Plus its handy for carrying your wallet, tickets, gloves, hat, sunglasses.

Look thru past trip reports and pay attention to what people in the background are wearing.....usually jeans and a sweatshirt, with a pack.

Took an early September cruise several years ago. In addition to layered clothing and rain gear, I took some thin but warm water-repellent gloves. I was REALLY glad I did as cold hands make me miserable and we had some very chilly days.

I'm an early September cruiser as well. Any thoughts on water repellant jackets v. waterproof jackets? I just bought a water repellant jacket with enough room for the extra layer and and I'm wondering if it's water-repelling enough.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It likely will be cooler and could have a decent amount of rain but like many places weather changes.

The key is to layer.

We take a water proof jacket with hood and layer underneath it. In our case we have our fleece and can layer appropriate tops.

We do take waterproof pants along with other pants so we can decide based on the weather what to wear that day.

A hat.

I am not big on the water repellent jackets because if it is raining hard I would rather have water proof.

Keith

I'm an early September cruiser as well. Any thoughts on water repellant jackets v. waterproof jackets? I just bought a water repellant jacket with enough room for the extra layer and and I'm wondering if it's water-repelling enough.....

WaterPROOF is always the recommendation. Being cold AND wet is miserable.

But if you cant return your jacket and wouldn't get much wear out of it in the future, buy a good poncho for added protection. Not a $1 poncho that's like a big plastic bag, but a $7-8 sturdier version. I have a TOTES that travels everywhere with me.

I've been using Frogg Toggs a lot this season up here. I'm now a fan. They're fairly inexpensive ($20) and has the jacket and pants. They are roomy, vent nicely, and are very waterproof. Definitely layers with gloves and a hat would be best for September.

I've been using Frogg Toggs a lot this season up here. I'm now a fan. They're fairly inexpensive ($20) and has the jacket and pants. They are roomy, vent nicely, and are very waterproof. Definitely layers with gloves and a hat would be best for September.

Thanks, for the recommendation. I went to their site and they have 3 types of rain gear. Which do you recommend (all sport, pro-lite, or ultra-lite 2)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So....I returned the water repellent jacket and bought one that was water PROOF. It's thin. It I can put 3 to 4 layers underneath including fleece.

Now about those waterproof pants...? When do they come in handy?

So....I returned the water repellent jacket and bought one that was water PROOF. It's thin. It I can put 3 to 4 layers underneath including fleece.

Now about those waterproof pants...? When do they come in handy?

When it's raining.

57b7264b1362b54e46b8eb2299f09fee.jpg

It's raining today and above shows how wet my friend's slacks got on a short walk. The more time you spend outdoors, the more useful they are.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Thanks, for the recommendation. I went to their site and they have 3 types of rain gear. Which do you recommend (all sport, pro-lite, or ultra-lite 2)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can find Frogg Toggs pretty much anywhere - Dick's sporting goods, Cabela's, Amazon and Walmart to name a few. Might not be a bad idea to check them out in person - you will be surprised at first. The material will seem like Tyvek or house wrap but they do work very well.

The All Sport has all the 'bells and whistles', the Pro-lite has a stuff sack and the Ultra Lite is the most compressible. I already have a Columbia Titanium rain jacket but purchased the Frogg Toggs Pro Action pants.....

You can find Frogg Toggs pretty much anywhere - Dick's sporting goods, Cabela's, Amazon and Walmart to name a few. Might not be a bad idea to check them out in person - you will be surprised at first. The material will seem like Tyvek or house wrap but they do work very well.

The All Sport has all the 'bells and whistles', the Pro-lite has a stuff sack and the Ultra Lite is the most compressible. I already have a Columbia Titanium rain jacket but purchased the Frogg Toggs Pro Action pants.....

Thanks, I went and picked up a set at Dick's last night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk