Social-VS-value internet packages

RNsoon2beNP

To those who have tried both, is there actually a BIG difference? Or was you actually able to access anything other than social media on the social plan?

I only really need like face book message to message back & forth with my kids, but dont want to struggle doing so.

Thanks!

Oh ill be on the Sensation

Used the Hub app on Vista in Feb when the kids where with us, but just the app was really hit or miss.

The social media plan is just that, social media. DH gets it every cruise and uses FB, FB Messenger, and Instagram with no problems. We have never seen the need for the value plan, as we are not interested in getting our email because that would mean work for both of us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been curious about the different rates of speed. I usually get the most expensive one only because it is somtimes very slow so I cant imagine how much slower the value plan is. Is it really much slower?? Thanks in advance!

I have had both and FB Messenger worked fine on both. You really don't need a lot of speed for that as far as I know. There were times with the Social that messages would take a while to send, but I can't contribute that to the plan alone. It could have been the connection in general as in the satellite for all internet. I suggest to go with Social, then if you're having issues, upgrade. But I think you'll be fine.

I have been curious about the different rates of speed. I usually get the most expensive one only because it is somtimes very slow so I cant imagine how much slower the value plan is. Is it really much slower?? Thanks in advance!

Value was plenty fast for me on Vista. I was even on here posting pics and a review. No issues whatsoever. I don't need the top tier for what I do.

I have had both and FB Messenger worked fine on both. You really don't need a lot of speed for that as far as I know. There were times with the Social that messages would take a while to send, but I can't contribute that to the plan alone. It could have been the connection in general as in the satellite for all internet. I suggest to go with Social, then if you're having issues, upgrade. But I think you'll be fine.

Thank you SO much! Trying it out for our next sailing! ALways good to save a few $$ :-)

We've opted for the Value plan on our most recent cruises and were really pleased with the speed. Of course, usage, ship and location will affect it but we were easily able to use FB Messenger, even in voice phone-call mode, to keep in touch with home. (It wasn't quite fast enough to maintain a video call, though.)

We were also able to set up a FB Messenger group for our extended party of 9 cruisers and coordinate YTD arrivals, meetups onboard, etc.

As for the responsiveness on the Value plan, I sent my roommate a FB message not realizing that he'd left his phone in the stateroom. It pinged one second later, which is lickety-split considering that a half-second is eaten up by two round-trip signals to the satellite and back. :)

I was told only those listed on Carnival site would work. I am using whatsapp now and actually like it!

I, too, use and LOVE whatsapp.

For speed, I'd usually post early in the mornings or late at night when adding photos. During the day, I've had numerous problems with speed, but I've also gone to the Internet Cafe, or much closer to it and had better success. When I've had a more midship cabin, I don't notice the problems as much. But bow or aft cabins can have "distance" problems.

To those who have tried both, is there actually a BIG difference? Or was you actually able to access anything other than social media on the social plan?

I only really need like face book message to message back & forth with my kids, but dont want to struggle doing so.

Thanks!

Oh ill be on the Sensation

Used the Hub app on Vista in Feb when the kids where with us, but just the app was really hit or miss.

If you're only going to do messaging, get the social plan but you will struggle at least once. Plan on catching up on your internet needs while on shore at a cafe or restaurant. FYI, the only apps that have worked best for me on-board at even the spottiest of service is Whatsapp or Viber. Hope this helps.

I, too, use and LOVE whatsapp.

For speed, I'd usually post early in the mornings or late at night when adding photos. During the day, I've had numerous problems with speed, but I've also gone to the Internet Cafe, or much closer to it and had better success. When I've had a more midship cabin, I don't notice the problems as much. But bow or aft cabins can have "distance" problems.

Our last 2 cruises were Cloud 9 balconies, deck 12 forward and we had plenty of wifi signal, but the speed is bad everywhere including the internet cafe.