Mozambique Port of Call. Visa?

Tothesunset

Our Jan 2018 Spirit Cape Town to Cape Town cruise has a stop at Maputo, Mozambique. While I understand a Visa is required to entire Mozambique for British or Irish citizens am I safe in assuming that we do not need a Visa if we don't leave the ship?

I suggest you research that a lot more. Often just being in the territory's water counts as being in the country.

I cancelled a cruise that included Indian ports - even staying on the ship was 'in India ' so needed a visa and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle - sorry I don't know if it's the same for Mozambique, hope someone here does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For what its worth; we also did not plan on getting off the ship at that port. Thought it was going to be nothing but poverty, but ended up spending the whole day touring the town and beaches. Found it very interesting and educational.

One thing I regret to see, that looked very interesting from the outside was maputo train station Eiffel. It is an easy walk from the ship.

For what its worth; we also did not plan on getting off the ship at that port. Thought it was going to be nothing but poverty, but ended up spending the whole day touring the town and beaches. Found it very interesting and educational.

One thing I regret to see, that looked very interesting from the outside was maputo train station Eiffel. It is an easy walk from the ship.

Did you get a visa in advance or did the ship arrange it? Or do they now do visa on arrival?

Did you get a visa in advance or did the ship arrange it? Or do they now do visa on arrival?

It might be different for people from various countries. We just paid the fee getting off the ship. I don't remember what it was. But think it was $50.00 American, good for 30 days. if you don't get off the ship, no fee is collected.

I suggest you research that a lot more. Often just being in the territory's water counts as being in the country. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes that is exactly right. If that is the case; it will be listed at the bottom of the Silversea deposit invoice, of all Visa's that are required for that voyage. It might say something like " If XXX Visa is not obtained, you will be refused from boarding the ship".

We are in the process of procuring a Brazil visa that is very complicated and is taking more than 60 days to get. We even need to do a face-to-face interview at the embassy consulate. This Visa is required even if your not getting off in any Brazilian ports.

For what its worth; we also did not plan on getting off the ship at that port. Thought it was going to be nothing but poverty, but ended up spending the whole day touring the town and beaches. Found it very interesting and educational. One thing I regret to see, that looked very interesting from the outside was maputo train station Eiffel. It is an easy walk from the ship.

Agree with the above poster from Arizona that Maputo, Mozambique, might surprise you. As detailed below in my live/blog from early last year, we found our visit there to be very different (in a positive way) and highly interesting. Our expectations were low, but it worked well for our interests in a fairly short period of time.

On the key visa question, it was handled through Silversea and I think it was a fairly minimal amount. Maybe $20 as a I re-call?? Clearly, we are from the USA, not UK. Do not know the current rules, costs, etc., especially for people from your fine country.

What did we see and do in Maputo? Below are just a few visual samples. More pictures and details are on my live/blog connected below starting on page two with post #34. Clearly Maputo is not as great and wonderful as Lisbon/Portgual, Venice, etc. Overall, it worked well for us in sampling this part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 33,758 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Right near to our ship was their famed rail station with its distinctive design by Mr. Eiffel with its cast iron top. Lots of people, busses and action were around this location that was only about a block and a half from where tour ship docked. My wife commented that my picture made this area/building look better than the more grim urban “reality” that we encountered.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)Africa2016PixsA13_zpsbixdg13z.jpg

Here is one visuals from their central town market that we visited. Lots of varied goods here, including seafood (without the cooling protection of ice), home goods, hair extensions, fruit, veggies, etc., etc. Most people here, especially, the women did not want their pictures taken. Local custom is to ask first!!:

Africa2016PixsA14_zps8gygewq5.jpg

Here is an example of just one of the many, many street merchants pushing their various goods. There were lots of colorful items available and they would quickly be willing to drop the prices down as you showed total lack of interest and/or were trying to explain the lack of luggage space to bring back some of these larger items.:

Africa2016PixsA19_zps9yerbyou.jpg

At their historic town fort dating back to the 1600’s, here is one visual from this old stone structure. This includes the view from this fortress towards some of the newer/nearby buildings, plus their old cannons and shells, some colorful flowers on the trees, etc.:

Africa2016PixsA17_zpsgdqtm10h.jpg

Here is a view of their National Capitol building, with the newer design of the main Catholic Cathedral shown at the right. In the center, dominating this square is this statute of their first leader at the time of gaining freedom from colonial rule.:

Africa2016PixsA20_zpsvoxov8kh.jpg

Here is just one visual from the craft market we visited during our ship’s city tour. Lots of variety and well-made items that we saw. This picture has my wife talking about options. In the background, you can see the wide range of items offered in just a small part of this large area.:

Africa2016PixsA27_zpszpoxim0t.jpg

I echo the opinions about Maputo - well worth a wander - and UK citizens will need a full visa which makes it an expensive wander. We were told you need the visa simply for being in their territorial waters. It's a Commonwealth county so naturally they love to fleece UK citizens. We did the visa by post (we are in deepest Norfolk) and it was very efficiently done.

You must confirm this with Silversea just in case they have a visa on arrival arrangement as they do in places like Angola.

Isn't this forum wonderful? Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Further to Carefrecruise's reply I checked the confirmation invoice (yes, I know, if I had half a brain I'd have done that at the start) and see that the ship provides a visa on arrival service the cost of which is added to the shipboard account.

From the foregoing posts it certainly seems that we need to get our lazy legs moving and have a wander round Maputo. We are not great ones for seeing the historical/artistic artefacts but we do like to see local life and colour and I expect there will be plenty of that in Maputo.

Thanks again for your generosity in replying.

Isn't this forum wonderful? From the foregoing posts it certainly seems that we need to get our lazy legs moving and have a wander round Maputo. We are not great ones for seeing the historical/artistic artefacts but we do like to see local life and colour and I expect there will be plenty of that in Maputo.

YES!! Lots of great and interesting people on these CC Boards. Excellent sharing in response to your original question!!

As a "being honest and fair" disclosure/warning on Maputo, some of the "vendors" can be a little aggressive at times. That is why we were glad with did a ship's tour in this town. My view is that things here are generally safe, but a few of the locals can be pesky and persistent as they push to sell their goods. Just be ready to say no in a solid, patient and clear manner. Look forward to hear back on your experiences in Mozambique.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,805 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I am glad that you will be getting off at this stop.

While Maputo is not Cape Town, it's great to see as much of you can of the beautiful world we live in.

We first stopped there in 2007 and then again in 2015 and I can see many changes there during that time frame.

I hope you have a terrific cruise.

Keith

Thanks. We surely intend to. And the Spirit is our favourite ship.

I was on a Seabourn cruise that called to Maputo a couple of years ago. I decided to treat it as a stationary sea day :D and stayed onboard. The friends I was travelling with all got off the ship there and enjoyed an interesting time. I think I missed out.

As for the visa, my friends are all British citizens, visa was arranged onboard - absolutely no fuss. I believe it was $30.

Enjoy it.

• 3 months later...
I echo the opinions about Maputo - well worth a wander - and UK citizens will need a full visa which makes it an expensive wander. We were told you need the visa simply for being in their territorial waters. It's a Commonwealth county so naturally they love to fleece UK citizens. We did the visa by post (we are in deepest Norfolk) and it was very efficiently done.

The visa page on the Mozambique High Commission's Consular page (www.mozambiquehighcommission.org.uk/…) is less than clear on what is needed to be provided by way of envelopes and costs.

If I've got it right, we need to provide a Special Delivery envelope with tracking number for the return of each passport. *

In addition, it looks as though each envelope needs to be stamped to the value of £5. Or is the £5 a handling charge in addition to the £50 charge for the visa? **

I would be grateful if you could enlighten me!

* 'Due to the recent and alarming cases of violation/loss of postal applications, including passports, and in order to ensure the safety of applicants, as of 10 July 2017, the Consular Section of the Mozambique High Commission in London will only post out passports with processed Visas if, in addition to the full compliance with Visa requirements, the following procedures/rules are observed:

Use only of registered postal services/companies, including: (i) a complete address and name for the return of the passport; (ii) an official envelope from a registered postal service; (ii) an official tracking number from a registered postal service.'

** 'NEW FEES FOR SERVICES BY MAIL RETURNED THROUGH THE HIGH COMMISSION

With a pre-paid envelope - £5 (Five Pound) for each Passport.

Without a pre-paid envelope - £15 (Fifteen Pound) for each Passport.'

We did the visa by post (we are in deepest Norfolk) and it was very efficiently done.

Hi.

I would really appreciate it if you could offer advice on getting the visa by post.

Post #14 in this thread explains my lack of understanding!

digitl - These new conditions were not in force when we got our visas. We simply sent them the forms, our passports, the money (postal order rather than cheque) and a stamped addressed envelope for the return. I've looked at the High Commission's latest requirements and I'm a bit baffled. You could try calling them (in my experience these people never answer the phone), emailing them. If that fails, print out their conditions and take it to your local Post Office. They may have the things you need.

If only we all lived in London then it's simply a hop on the Tube.

digitl - These new conditions were not in force when we got our visas. We simply sent them the forms, our passports, the money (postal order rather than cheque) and a stamped addressed envelope for the return. I've looked at the High Commission's latest requirements and I'm a bit baffled. You could try calling them (in my experience these people never answer the phone), emailing them. If that fails, print out their conditions and take it to your local Post Office. They may have the things you need.

If only we all lived in London then it's simply a hop on the Tube.

Many thanks for the response: appreciated.

I, too, am baffled! I've spent an age on the phone but the visa section don't answer and my email to them of a week ago appears to have fallen into a black hole. Not good and something of a disincentive.

I shall persist!

There are of course agencies which obtain visas for individuals - I've never used one because of their high charges but it's a reliable way of getting a visa quickly.

Their charges are just silly and I'm determined to avoid using them. £36 per person for making the application plus £12.50 for posting passports back to us. I could (almost) pay for return fares to London for that.