First time cruiser here: MSC seaside vs RCCL for christmas cruise

mirarty

I need help to decide for christmas cruise.

MSC Seaside (Phillipsburg-St.Maarten, Netherlands Antilles - San Juan, Puerto Rico - Nassau, Bahamas)

or

Harmony of the Seas (Labadee - Haiti, Falmouth - Jamaica, Cozumel - Mexico)

or

Allure of the Seas (Nassau - Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie - St. Thomas, Basseterre - St. Kitts)

or

Oasis of the Seas (Labadee - Haiti, Falmouth - Jamaica, Cozumel - Mexico)

With my wife we are first time cruisers, no kids.

On MSC we can afford balcony stateroom with fantastica experience, on RCCL it will be interior stateroom.

Seaside is new ship which is benefit, but looks like the RCCL has more attractions. What you guys think? I would appreciate any feedback. This should be a pleasure for us, but it start to be a frustration. :eek:

Please help

For your first cruise, you will be busy finding your way about a ship - good thing you are here to get a start on your "sea legs". I don't think any ship you named having more activities than another will matter on this cruise the way it would to an experienced cruiser.

One thing to remember about Christmas is that the ship will be more crowded. If you are in an inside cabin, you will need to be out and about in the crowds to experience the ocean and views. We ALWAYS prefer a balcony because part of our enjoyment of a cruise includes quiet time watching the world sail by. Keep that in mind, too.

I would say only harmony comes close to the attractions seaside will have eg slides,bowling (not on harmony),5d cinema(not on harmony),ziplines plus seaside has the wonderful looking promenade and aft pool. Ive never sailed with msc (rccl,ncl) but chose seasides sister msc seaview over symphony of the seas next july[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just read your post more fully. Don't stress - almost any cruise is better than no cruise and the exceptions are rare (think hurricanes - of which there will be none at Christmas). I'm not sure what has you stressed but you really can have a good time just picking a ship and showing up. But if you have questions people here are happy to help. Welcome to CC!

MSC Seaside (Phillipsburg-St.Maarten, Netherlands Antilles - San Juan, Puerto Rico - Nassau, Bahamas)

or

or

Allure of the Seas (Nassau - Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie - St. Thomas, Basseterre - St. Kitts)

or

On MSC we can afford balcony stateroom with fantastica experience, on RCCL it will be interior stateroom.

Seaside is new ship which is benefit, but looks like the RCCL has more attractions. What you guys think? I would appreciate any feedback. This should be a pleasure for us, but it start to be a frustration. :eek:

Please help

Seaside this year and RCL next year.

My tuppence ha'penny worth is don't do Seaside this Christmas - especially as it's your first cruise. Yes, it looks like a fantastic ship but it will be new and there will be many teething problems which will lead to a less than wonderful atmosphere onboard. I'm speaking from experience of being onboard the new ship, Meraviglia, a few weeks ago. The level of complaints was astronomical and people really didn't enjoy their cruise. As it was our 16th cruise on MSC we were prepared for their haphazard ways of dealing with things. We also knew a lot of the crew which made the cruise enjoyable for us. We were also in the Yacht Club and were so thankful to be as there was chaos around the main dining room areas every night.

If you really want to try Seaside, wait 'til she settles into a routine first, is my advice, FWIW.

Yes, it looks like a fantastic ship but it will be new and there will be many teething problems which will lead to a less than wonderful atmosphere onboard.

If you really want to try Seaside, wait 'til she settles into a routine first, is my advice, FWIW.

How long would you think it takes for them to work through the new ship issues?

How long would you think it takes for them to work through the new ship issues?

Well, Meraviglia is operating since June 4th and the flexi-dining system went from suspended to cancelled. There are a lot of people who booked Fantastica cabins especially for this - some have not even sailed yet - so that's an ongoing issue on that ship. There are also ongoing issues with the POS systems that the bar staff are using which seems to be creating problems.

MSC are trying out too many new innovations on these new-builds without ensuring that they have the systems in place to operate them. Because of my experience on Meraviglia I won't even consider booking Seaside's sister ship, Seaview, (which is debuting next year in the Med) 'til I see the first reviews from those sailing Seaside.

don't do Seaside this Christmas ... :o now you tell me ... ;p

20 days beforehand to iron out any issues ... :cool:

I'm sure you'll sail thru' calmly and serenely, Dave. You've got experience enough with MSC! :evilsmile:

However, for someone who's never cruised before - yet alone with MSC :eek: - I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend a new ship! And certainly not at Christmas! :rolleyes:

Are you going for the Itinerary or the ship? Everyone is different. You will need to do more than one cruise line to find yours. It is the same as doing All-inclusive resorts. Never been on MSC so won't comment about the line. Do research.

Are you a 5 star or 3 star vacationer?

What is your priorities? Food, itinerary, drink packages,excursions, on board amenities, dining times, Family Friendly or fewer children?

Christmas is an expensive time of year then March/Spring break. Can you go before or after?

Flights if you need them to the ports. Miami and Fort Lauderdale are close to each other.

Fly in at least one day prior to the cruise and stay at a hotel.... This is from experience from our first cruise which we narrowly made. Weather systems and mechanical breakdowns and airlines switching your flights need to be a top priority in your budget planning.

If you don't like the first cruise you take try one more on a different cruiseline with a different itinerary. Enjoy.

or

or

or

Please help

1. I would not recommend to go on Xmas cruise . Its a Zoo with kids on any line.

2. MSC destination looks better for me and balcony over inside is a big plus.

I'm sure you'll sail thru' calmly and serenely, Dave. You've got experience enough with MSC! :evilsmile:

However, for someone who's never cruised before - yet alone with MSC :eek: - I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend a new ship! And certainly not at Christmas! :rolleyes:

I am 100% agree with you :* I gave myself a word not to cruise Xmas ever no matter what line and specially not with MSC and kids sail free program.

I am 100% agree with you :* I gave myself a word not to cruise Xmas ever no matter what line and specially not with MSC and kids sail free program.

We're doing one for the first time on Orchestra this year. Guess we're gonna find out for ourselves just how effective the 'kids sail free' program is! :eek:

We're doing one for the first time on Orchestra this year. Guess we're gonna find out for ourselves just how effective the 'kids sail free' program is! :eek:

In Europe? Orchestra is not as big as Divina maybe its not going to be as terrible. We had over 1000 kids on board I don't know how I did not jump over board.:rolleyes:

In Europe? Orchestra is not as big as Divina maybe its not going to be as terrible. We had over 1000 kids on board I don't know how I did not jump over board.:rolleyes:

Oh, GB, you've given me such a belly laugh just now.

As ours is an 11 night sailing out of Barcelona on the 19th, I'm hoping there won't be too many kids as school won't be out yet. We don't arrive in Civitavecchia 'til the 27th December after coming back from the Greek Isles, so no opportunity for the Italians to board for the Christmas week. :p

Thank you all for replies.

To your questions khalubear:

This will be our first cruise and first time in caribbean so I would say is 50/50.

4 star vacationer

Priorities: We don't know what to expect, so no priorities yet, but we prefer fewer children.

Timing is our issue that's why we chose christmas. Only dates between 12/23 - 12/31 works for us.

We have already booked flight to FLL arriving 12/23 @ 5am

I've been reading a lot of reviews, but they are mixed. Some people are very happy with MSC and some people are very disappointed.

Is there anyone who can share experience from last year MSC Divina christmas cruise?

Are you going for the Itinerary or the ship? Everyone is different. You will need to do more than one cruise line to find yours. It is the same as doing All-inclusive resorts. Never been on MSC so won't comment about the line. Do research.

Are you a 5 star or 3 star vacationer?

What is your priorities? Food, itinerary, drink packages,excursions, on board amenities, dining times, Family Friendly or fewer children?

Christmas is an expensive time of year then March/Spring break. Can you go before or after?

Flights if you need them to the ports. Miami and Fort Lauderdale are close to each other.

Fly in at least one day prior to the cruise and stay at a hotel.... This is from experience from our first cruise which we narrowly made. Weather systems and mechanical breakdowns and airlines switching your flights need to be a top priority in your budget planning.

If you don't like the first cruise you take try one more on a different cruiseline with a different itinerary. Enjoy.

Thank you all for replies.

To your questions khalubear:

This will be our first cruise and first time in caribbean so I would say is 50/50.

4 star vacationer

Priorities: We don't know what to expect, so no priorities yet, but we prefer fewer children.

Timing is our issue that's why we chose christmas. Only dates between 12/23 - 12/31 works for us.

We have already booked flight to FLL arriving 12/23 @ 5am

I've been reading a lot of reviews, but they are mixed. Some people are very happy with MSC and some people are very disappointed.

Is there anyone who can share experience from last year MSC Divina christmas cruise?

Fewer children on Xmas cruise -forget it. In your situation I would get MSC balcony at least you will have some private time during day or night . MSC is a nice line I am sure you will like it .

The kids sail free promotion on the Seaside does not go into effect until the January 6, 2018 sailing. No promotions were in effect for the Christmas and New years sailings including any OBC given by MSC.

Even though there will be growing pains with the Seaside just starting out, there will be less kids because the ship itself is the smallest of your choices and as has been already posted, you have the option to retreat to your balcony to get away from any unruly rugrats.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Will be there adults only section? I have read that Divina has adult only section for a fee. It is true?

The garden pool and bar are adult only and there is no charge to use. The top 18 solarium is free to use for Aurea level guests but day passes can be purchased by non Aurea guests.

Well, Meraviglia is operating since June 4th and the flexi-dining system went from suspended to cancelled. There are a lot of people who booked Fantastica cabins especially for this - some have not even sailed yet - so that's an ongoing issue on that ship. There are also ongoing issues with the POS systems that the bar staff are using which seems to be creating problems.

MSC are trying out too many new innovations on these new-builds without ensuring that they have the systems in place to operate them. Because of my experience on Meraviglia I won't even consider booking Seaside's sister ship, Seaview, (which is debuting next year in the Med) 'til I see the first reviews from those sailing Seaside.

On the other hand, by the time Seaside sails Msc might have learned from the mistakes made on Meraviglia? Hopefully? Fingers crosed! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums