Freaking out a little due to the weather forecast for our Ports of Call

Riley's Mom

There is a system that will be in our "area of the caribbean" next week.

We are going to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

According to the weather forecasts (I know it could still change) the ports

we are going to show thunderstorms 80% .

I have never had this happen when all the ports would be experiencing bad weather

during my cruise week.

It made to wonder if due tot he inclement weather in each of the scheduled ports, if

Carnival may decide to take us to different ports which better weather?

I am afraid I know the answer to this and its probably NO!

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

On weather.com right now:

Invest 91L is a poorly-organized area of thunderstorms about half way between the west African coast and the Lesser Antilles.

A second disturbed area is immediately to the east of Invest 91L has been dubbed Invest 92L.

DCT_SPECIAL17_1280x720.jpg?v=ap&w=1280&h=720&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

I was scheduled to spend 5 days in New York City in August 2015. Three days before we left, a family member was freaking out because the forecast showed constant rain for the entire duration of the trip. We never saw so much as a drop.

I understand that hurricane season is a bit different in severity and degree of disruption, but really, anything could happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You shouldn't worry about it. I just got off the Breeze on Sunday. We were on the same itinerary as you when tropical storm Franklin was crossing the area. The captain reversed our itinerary and moved our second sea day from the end to the beginning. We had beautiful weather in all ports. The captain announced we would stay about 200 nautical miles away from the storm. We had one cloudy and choppy sea day. No big deal.

But...we didn't hear anything until the day before we were to dock in Cozumel. They won't announce anything until the last minute.

Enjoy your cruise!

OP, no reason to freak out, the Captains know what they are doing. Modern weather monitoring is very good, especially a few days out. The weather.com is probably one of the most generic weather websites. If you like more accurate weather forecasts try, NOAA, Wind Guru, and Wunderground are few we sailors use.

We are going to Cozumel' date=' Belize and Roatan.

we are going to show thunderstorms 80% ....[/quote']

A week on a cruise ship vs a week at work . . . hmmm.

Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

The weather will be what the weather will be. You cannot control it. Carnival has a staff of professionals who's #1 priority is to keep you safe. They won't lead you headfast into a bad weather situation. If you have to miss a port, then you miss a port. You'll have fun any way you cut the cake.

Best not worrying about things you cannot control.

We will be sailing next week in the Western Caribbean too. I haven't looked at weather reports. Why bother. I can't change the sail date and have no control over the weather. I've been on cruises where every port was a pouring down rain. Not ideal but we still enjoyed our vacation.

I live in SW Florida. I just looked at the 10 day forecast for here... it's at least 50% chance of thunderstorms every day. What that means around here (and for most tropical areas) is that you'll have a storm sometime during the day. Yesterday we had a downpour, a big one, for about 30 minutes. We had to leave to get to a meeting. It was raining so hard at our house that we could barely see to drive. By the time we got 1/2 mile away it was drizzling, at the meeting 2 miles away the sun was out. Welcome to Florida! In other words, don't worry - if it's raining wait 20 minutes it will probably stop!

It rains a lot in the Caribbean. It's usually very short and doesn't cause a total wash out. On our last cruise, rain was forecasted for every port day it we only encountered it once for about an hour. Just bring a few cheap disposable ponchos and go with the flow. It's out of your hands anyway so no use worrying about it now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are going to Cozumel' date=' Belize and Roatan.

we are going to show thunderstorms 80% .

I have never had this happen when all the ports would be experiencing bad weather

during my cruise week.

It made to wonder if due tot he inclement weather in each of the scheduled ports, if

Carnival may decide to take us to different ports which better weather?

I am afraid I know the answer to this and its probably NO!

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:[/quote']

Nothing to worry about. Pack umbrellas and rain coats. It's not that unusual to get rained on, and you already know it's possible, so pack for it! Rain does not destroy a day, it just makes it fun.

I am watching the same forecast as you Rileysmom - we leave on Saturday.

I am making a couple of changes to my packing list because of the weather - throwing in the rain ponchos that we had to buy when we were in in a hurricane at Disney even though my kids are insisting that they "don't want the ponchos", and buying some extra Bonine and ginger drops. But I really think that we are going to be fine. The weather changes so quickly, especially 5 days out, and if they have to reverse the order of the ports or something to avoid any danger I am sure they will do that.

Even if it's totally raining I am determined to eat, drink, and be merry. There's nothing we or CCL can do about the weather and I am sure the trip will be fun in any case.

We've never run into this before as our previous cruises were all wintertime (although we did run into a snowstorm with flights cancelled when we were trying to get to our port - luckily we had planned a couple of days ahead in Florida just in case) but for this cruise late August was the only time we could do it, because of kids in college with summer internships. If it's going to pour in the Bahamas I just hope they reroute us to Mexico or the Western Caribbean - anywhere it isn't pouring and rough!