Tamarind dinner. Gluten free and vegetarian

muffin

Travelling with friends one of whom is gluten intolerant ,and lactose intolerant, and the other is also, as well as vegetarian. They are able to eat inmost places with not big problems. We would like to take them to the Tamarind, and wonder if adjustments can be made there for them? Thx for you knowledge......

I'm a gluten intolerant vegetarian and I've had no issues at the Tamarind ... They were very accommodating of my dietary needs and even ensured that no shellfish products were anywhere near my food as I have a very serious shellfish allergy. The menu is already pretty low on dairy related products anyway so I think lactose intolerance would not be an issue ...

I'm a gluten intolerant vegetarian and I've had no issues at the Tamarind ... They were very accommodating of my dietary needs and even ensured that no shellfish products were anywhere near my food as I have a very serious shellfish allergy. The menu is already pretty low on dairy related products anyway so I think lactose intolerance would not be an issue ...

I am following this as well. I am also gluten intolerant and am wondering if I need to tell them ahead of time or can I just pick and choose from what is offered on the menus in the main dining room or anywhere else on the ship? Heard that the dive in is out?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Travelling with friends one of whom is gluten intolerant ,and lactose intolerant, and the other is also, as well as vegetarian. They are able to eat inmost places with not big problems. We would like to take them to the Tamarind, and wonder if adjustments can be made there for them? Thx for you knowledge......

Since all food is made to order, letting the waitress know what you cannot have for your chosen dish should work. Here is the Tamarind menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Menu.pdf

Bjarret....I think you should do well just winging it in the lido and main dining room. Our friends were able to find items which met all their needs. Ex gluten free bread is available for breakfast toast, lunch sandwiches, etc. Just be sure to double check with the staff re cross contamination in areas such as deep frying, find a supervisor or senior staff to ask. The helpers are not quite as fluent in English often, and may just give you a convenient answer instead of a knowledgable reply.

I am also gluten intolerant and successfully ate in the NA Tamarind with no problems last year. I was able to preorder my food using a menu in the Neptune Lounge. If I remember correctly, I received a call later in the day telling me a modification had to be made to a dish I preordered. I've always been impressed with how HAL manages my GF dietary needs!

I am following this as well. I am also gluten intolerant and am wondering if I need to tell them ahead of time or can I just pick and choose from what is offered on the menus in the main dining room or anywhere else on the ship? Heard that the dive in is out?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely tell them ahead of time. There is a form that you can fill out indicating any special foods required, like gluten free English muffins. Contact HAL or your TA to get the form. Once onboard, you will get (ask for it if it's not brought to you), the menu for the next night to make your selections so that those can be prepared for you.

Dive In does not have to be "out". Upon request, they will put the burger on a lettuce "bun". It's even messier than a regular burger but easy to eat with a fork and knife. I don't know about hot dogs, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have celiac disease and so have to have gluten free food. I called HAL and they no longer have you fill out a form ahead of time because they said that it has become such a common request that they just have GF products available. I am curious though what peoples' experiences have been like. I know there will be food for me, but I'm curious to see what the specific restaurant choices will be. I'd be happy to hear from others who had to have GF food on their recent Eurodam cruise. Thanks!

I agree with those who mentioned speaking to the supervisor in you dining area if you have a significant dietary concern and arrange for him to bring you the following night's menu for you to determine what you would like for the next evening. This gives the kitchen time to prepare you food to meet your needs before the dinner rush hits. Oh yes, then, please stick with it! (Oh, I have seen passengers who say, the next night - oh, I have changed my mind. I do not want the meal (specifically prepared for me), I will have xxxx instead). So, your special meal goes into the trash.

All HAL cruises I have been on have been most accommodating to special needs requests when made the day before.

On one long cruise a at our table had a strong sensitivity to Garlic and his digestive system could not tolerate it, even small amounts. Well, those of you who cook know how common garlic is in many of the dishes severed on Ships. So, almost all his meals had to be prepared specifically for him. With ONE exception he was always able to get any menu item he wanted without Garlic. That one item was Prime Rib as one Prime Rib roast serves many people and those other "many people" would complain if it was prepared without Garlic. On those nights they would substitute a steak if there was not any other dish he wanted. It worked out wonderfully.