Thoughts?: Interior vs. Balcony cost

Hi everyone!

I have asked question after question about this, but I'm still so torn.

We have a hump balcony room booked on Freedom of the Seas the week of Easter, and it is the first balcony room that we will have stayed in (we have done interior and oceanview prior). We have never, ever sailed during a time that was even remotely close to spring break, so not sure what to expect there.

I've never paid so much for a cruise before, but I understand, with that being the only week that we are able to cruise, that it is what it is. Because it is so much more than I'm used to paying I'm very nervous about the cost of this vacation! We can afford it, but I still have been looking to save some money, but I'm really just not sure what to do.

Currently, there is a $500 price difference between the balcony room that we booked and the lowest price interior room. IN YOUR OPINION, is the room I have booked worth that difference (**based on your experiences because I don't have any!**) or is it NOT worth it and I should just go ahead and save the money and re-book into an interior?

I've been on 19 cruises now and have had 18 interior rooms. I'm perfectly happy sleeping like a baby! My one balcony cruise was a with the guys on a whim, and we definitely got our use out of it. It all depends on what you're looking for. I tend to go with Interiors so I can go on even more cruises! We did splurge on an aft balcony on a TA next year, but that was for celebration purposes.

I think you have to try it to see how it appeals to you and if it is worth it to you. We've had balconies and ocean view and inside, and honestly, we've arrived at the conclusion that we spend so little time in the cabin that we don't think it is worth spending much more for a balcony. Others will swear by it though, so you really can't take anyone else's word for it.

$500 TOTAL price difference for a week is a small delta between an interior and a balcony. Almost too small. I wouldn't downgrade for that amount. And I don't mind interiors (well, actually, i like OV's, my wife likes interiors). We've had balconies but never felt I got max use out of that feature.

Ultimately though if it does not fit your budget for the trip, downgrade and get on the ship stress free.

Thanks for so many quick responses! It's a hard choice just because we have never had our own. We have had the pleasure of cruising with my parents who insist on one, so I at least know a little of what it's about.

My reason for the choice this time around was simply because it was spring break and I thought it would be nice to be outside in our own space if there were lots of munchkins running around. My husband is also a napper but I'm not. In the past I've just read quietly in the room because I hate wandering by myself (silly I know), and I thought it would be nice to be outside while he gets his sleep.

$500 TOTAL price difference for a week is a small delta between an interior and a balcony. Almost too small. I wouldn't downgrade for that amount. And I don't mind interiors (well, actually, i like OV's, my wife likes interiors). We've had balconies but never felt I got max use out of that feature.

Ultimately though if it does not fit your budget for the trip, downgrade and get on the ship stress free.

Are we talking $500 per person or $500 TOTAL?

If it's $500 TOTAL, you'd be kicking yourself to forego the balcony (the premium works out to ~$30 + tax per person per day). End of discussion.

Even at $500 per person, it's still a pretty good incremental bargain.

The one caveat I'll give is you'll want to check what's on the deck directly above your cabin for both the balcony and the proposed interior options. For example, if your balcony stateroom is directly below a high-traffic area like a pool deck then keep in mind you'll be hearing pool chairs being drug around very early in the morning. If you're a light and late sleeper, then you'll want to downgrade to something less noisy.

Are we talking $500 per person or $500 TOTAL?

If it's $500 TOTAL, you'd be kicking yourself to forego the balcony (the premium works out to ~$30 + tax per person per day). End of discussion.

Even at $500 per person, it's still a pretty good incremental bargain.

The one caveat I'll give is you'll want to check what's on the deck directly above your cabin for both the balcony and the proposed interior options. For example, if your balcony stateroom is directly below a high-traffic area like a pool deck then keep in mind you'll be hearing pool chairs being drug around very early in the morning. If you're a light and late sleeper, then you'll want to downgrade to something less noisy.

Based on what you just posted about your husband being a napper (and also knowing it's gonna be loud on the pool deck, especially during Spring Break), definitely check what's above your balcony stateroom before making your final decision.

I should also note that it is an 8 night cruise...and it IS in fact only $500 total between the two stateroom categories.

What is the date of the cruise? For 3/31/18 I am seeing $369 difference per person between cheapest interior and cheapest balcony (which a hump balcony would not be cheapest).

I should also note that it is an 8 night cruise...and it IS in fact only $500 total between the two stateroom categories.

For $500 total.... KEEP THE BALCONY! My wife and I have stayed in interior and balcony rooms. We always go by if we are going on a 4 night or less we choose the interior but anything 5 nights or more we get the balcony. Just dont like waking up in the dark every day for a week.

We have been on 7 cruises and have had an interior all but the last one...my dh loves to find a quiet place on the ship and just relax listening to the ocean and watching the waves. So this last time we did get a balcony and he loved it!! It really gave him a place to decompress (he's a high school teacher, so he really enjoys his time on the ship away from everything). With that being said, after watching him on balcony, we would not go back to interior unless money was a big issue. We already have another balcony booked for our cruise in June 2018.:D

About $500 total, not per person. We booked a few months back. I'm a teacher and was aware of when my spring break would fall so we had advance notice of our time frame.

The price difference is between when we originally booked the balcony and now (when I've started getting more nervous!!!!). It is a higher price for that balcony now than it was for us...I think we were at $2699 for the balcony room if I remember correctly.

Only ever had a balcony. We are those people who spend more time in our cabin on our balcony than at the busy, loud, hot, congested pool area. My kids had an interior on our NYE cruise (right across from us)... it was so dark and no view... I would NOT be a fan. Like everyone else, it depends on what you want and value.

My wife and I have been in everything from an interior on deck 2 to a suite, depends on the itinerary and pricing. Having said that however I would certainly go for the balcony for $500 differance

I know of a deal that can get you an E2 balcony (not on the hump, but still a nice balcony) cheaper than an interior on that sailing. Just sent you a friend request or you can email me at mburchyett AT comcast DOT net and I'll point you in the right direction.

My wife and I have done interiors, OV, and balconies. We will now only do balconies. I enjoy getting up earlier than she does so will get coffee and go sit on the balcony as we’re docking. We also are always on our balcony as we leave each port. In the evenings we both enjoy sitting out on the balcony to just unwind from our day’s activities whether in port or at sea. It seems to calm us and helps us to decompress before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just making sure I understand the math here – you booked a balcony few months ago at slightly less than $2,700/cabin. But since then the prices for this sailing have gone up quite a bit and now in looking at your end of March sailing, a regular D2 balcony is around $3,200 and the inside is around $2,200. And you are comparing the $2,700 that was booked few months ago to the current $2,200 inside for the $500 difference?

If so, I think you should look at things the other way – you should be happy that you have saved money by booking early. Maybe if you wait few more months until December, the price of interior cabins will go up even more from the current price to $2,600+. In which case, it’s no brainer as the gap between balcony and interior is virtually nil.

Since your final payment isn’t until end of December, why get nervous now? Seems to me you are playing with house money in being $500 ahead in getting a current market value of $3,200 cabin at the old locked in price of $2,700 and since it’s a popular Easter sailing, unlikely prices will drop by more than $500.

Even though Easter sailing has a high price premium, be happy that it’s less than the Holidays sailings. Take a look at the same 8 day sailing on the Freedom for 12/23. Once you see the price of D2 cabins, you will be very happy at the price you locked in for your cruise.

Thanks for so many quick responses! It's a hard choice just because we have never had our own. We have had the pleasure of cruising with my parents who insist on one, so I at least know a little of what it's about.

My reason for the choice this time around was simply because it was spring break and I thought it would be nice to be outside in our own space if there were lots of munchkins running around. My husband is also a napper but I'm not. In the past I've just read quietly in the room because I hate wandering by myself (silly I know), and I thought it would be nice to be outside while he gets his sleep.

Whether it is worth wile for you depends on your personal make up.

I have claustrophobia and would not book an inside. Balcony I enjoy and spend a lot of time sitting there and watching the waves pass by and the wind in my face. I have friends though that do not go to the balcony at all and consider it a waste of money. So it boils down to what you like and like to do.

My impression is that RC do not have big differences in price between balcony and inside for what ever reasons or market forces dictates.