What's the deal on Happy Hour, bucket of beer, top shelf drinks and Half Moon Cay?

Iwantacruisenow

I would do a drink package however my wife really does not drink so much. So at $700+ for the both of us well just looking for ways to save. Any advise is helpful!

Read in a few threads about HAL Happy Hour where the 2nd drink is $2. Questions:

1) What are the hours for Happy Hour?

2) So If I order a drink, can my wife get the 2nd drink for $2? Can it be a different drink?

3) Do I have to order My second drink at the same time? Like what if the 2nd drink is now outside the happy hour?

4) If I ordered a beer and wanted to take 5 more un-opened to my room to enjoy during non-happy hour what would I pay? Assume something like $8 + $2 +$8 + $2 +$8 + $2 = $30 OR IS IT $8 + $2 + $2 + $2 + $2 + $2 = $18. Plus the 15% of course.

Also,

5)What does a bucket of beer cost and how many beers?

AND,

I prefer top shelf margarita with the Cabo Wabo, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau. Really can't have too many of those, LOL. With the classic drink package on another line I paid like $2 more. So, question #

6) On HAL I understand I will have to pay the full price even if I have a Signature Package, not the price difference?

AND,

7)Does the drink package work on Half Moon Cay or do you have to pay additional for drinks on the island?

Finally,

8) Does HAL ever offer discounts on drink packages at any time before the cruise? Excuse my rant here, had the drink package on another line and then they offered 20% off.

A little reading around the board will answer most or all of your questions. I will tackle a couple.

Beverage plans don't apply to HMC.

Happy Hour schedules and locations vary by ship, day, location and time. Check the daily schedule when you get on board.

1) Happy Hours vary by ship. It's usually 4-5 in certain bars. There is often a late night one as well. If you have a beverage package, the second drink for $2 thing doesn't apply. Each drink counts toward one of your 15.

2) The drinks have to be the same. As long as you and your wife drink the same thing, you're okay. Otherwise, no.

3) You could ask for your second drink to be served after your first. I've seen people do it with white wine if they were worried about it getting warm. I drink bourbon on the rocks, so I just order a double. Your second drink has to be inside of happy hour. (This is pretty standard at bars on land, too.)

4) I don't know what you drink, so I'll just assume that you are having 16 oz Buds at $6.25. Your first beer would be $6.25, as would #3, and #5. Numbers 2, 4, and 6 would be $2. You'd be ordering three round at $8.25 per round or $25.75. You'd ask for #2 - #6 to be unopened.

5) Buckets are 5 beers each. A bucket of 12 oz beers is $26. Your 16oz Buds (which you now drink for the purpose of this exercise) are $28, as are all the other 16 oz aluminum can-bottle things.

6) You'd need the Elite Beverage Package, which would cover your Cabo Margarita. I have to ask why you want both Cointreau and Grand Marnier in your margarita. They're both orange liquors. You don't normally double them up. It's usually one or the other. Are you going for a particularly orangey drink? Your super-orange-a-rita would be eligible for Happy Hour.

7) You can't use your beverage package on Half Moon Cay.

8) The signature beverage package is $5 less if you buy it ahead of time. (That's an 11.1% discount.) You can upgrade it to the Elite Package once you're on board for $10 pp per day + 15% service charge, or a net out of pocket of $63.19 pp/day.

Hope that helps. If you care to tell us who the other line is, that might help. It sort of sounds like NCL, but they don't have Cabo on their list.

Thanks CruiserBruce. I did do a search on the HAL forums and found Happy Hour, Buckets of Beer & drink package but they did not seem to address the specifics of my questions. I'm sure folks are a little fuzzy because they drank so much, LOL. HAL website does not even mention Happy Hour or Buckets. I like to know what the deal is before I go on vacation as to prevent hours of time trying to figure it out while I'm on vacation. Okay I get it, it just depends. Anyway, thank you for your response. And RATS on the beverage plan on HMC.

POA1, Very Helpful!!!!!!! and very Interesting!

Yes, I need a package. But my wife would not get $100 worth, just does not drink that much. And if you cannot use on HMC, well not sure I'll get that much out of it. Bring my own wine, buy the bucket to save a few $'s and have the Margarita's during happy hour sounds like the best plan. Margarita too strong for my wife though, I'll have to have both Margarita's and her 2nd daiquiri. Hope I can walk to dinner.

FYI, Saw the Celebrity line bartender double up the orange stuff on their top shelf with Patron. It was very very good and I was hooked. I prefer Cabo which apparently the HAL has. Personally, I cut back on the dosage of the two orange stuff pours. Try it!

POA1, Very Helpful!!!!!!! and very Interesting!

Yes, I need a package. But my wife would not get $100 worth, just does not drink that much. And if you cannot use on HMC, well not sure I'll get that much out of it. Bring my own wine, buy the bucket to save a few $'s and have the Margarita's during happy hour sounds like the best plan. Margarita too strong for my wife though, I'll have to have both Margarita's and her 2nd daiquiri. Hope I can walk to dinner.

FYI, Saw the Celebrity line bartender double up the orange stuff on their top shelf with Patron. It was very very good and I was hooked. I prefer Cabo which apparently the HAL has. Personally, I cut back on the dosage of the two orange stuff pours. Try it!

I suppose if you did a half portion (1/2 oz) of Cointreau and 1/2 oz of Grand Marnier it would work. Extra fancy without all the extra orange and sweetness.

If one person doesn't really drink, it's hard to justify the package cost. As long as you could take advantage of Happy Hour for your Margaritas, you're probably ahead that way.

Assuming you are having 16 oz beers, your per-beer price in a bucket is $5.60. They'd be $4.13 at Happy Hour. They're perfectly fine with your taking unopened beer back to your room. You can ask your room steward for a wine chiller bucket with ice, since that holds several beers and keeps them icy cold. You can also request that your in-room fridge be cleared out so you can use it as a cooler. (I'm not sure how much beer storage you need.) You room steward will usually top off your wine chiller bucket during morning service and evening turn down.

I've seen people address the Half Moon Cay situation by putting beer in a soft-sided cooler bag with ice and taking it ashore.

I know it seems like I have put a lot of thought into this for someone who doesn't drink beer, but we try to tackle these questions for the greater public good. ;)

• 2 months later...

POA1, because I have been using the search feature like a good little CruiseCritic'r, I came upon this interesting thread. I have just a couple of questions that you may know the answer to. 1. Is there a discount for pre purchasing the Elite package. There is no mention of this online or anywhere else? 2. Do you think these high priced packages with limits are worth it?

We are going on a 14 day Asian itinerary and I'm just having a really hard time pulling the trigger on an almost 2 grand Elite package. I've searched through the menus a bit... I'm trying not to be too Type A about this, but it just seems like a huge expense especially when reading over this Happy Hour post. My husband is a top shelf tequila guy... or a bourbon guy like yourself... a corona with it at times. We both like nice wine. All of these things mean we'd have to do the Elite package if I decide to do it. I hate worrying about things like a bar bill. But I'm just not sure we'll drink enough to make it worth it if we keep an eye out for the rotating happy hours. We have 5 days at sea and a couple half days... but other than that, we are gone until late the other days so I see specialty coffee in my future and a glass (two at the most) of good wine at dinner.

The bucket of beer thing on one day would fill our fridge for the entire voyage as I don't drink the stuff.

I saw one post, from a long time ago, from Ruth that she went on one cruise with no happy hours. Have you seen this?

Thanks for any advice :)

Yes, 2 grand a lot on booze for a trip. But, I do like the convenience of ordering a drink whenever I feel like it or when my beer is cold. I HATE trying to decide on ordering a drink but have to think about the price so maybe I should not. That distraction ruins the vacation for me. So, I don't mind paying for that convenience even if I don't drink my quota to break even. That works if we both Drink.

Unfortunately the drink package is not included in my cruise and my wife really does not drink that much. She is not a specialty coffee drinker either. So, I cannot reach the breakeven for two drink packages, not even close. Water and soda we can bring on board. For wine, I plan on bringing bottles with me. We arrive the day before and should be able to buy at a local liquor store I've already checked into. I can buy a $25 bottle of wine + corkage fee for the price of the $10 bottle they will sell you for $45 onboard. A bit more interested in my wine selection even on the elite package. I'll get a $250 drink card for the hard stuff while on board and try to take advantage of the two for's. Buckets seem to be the way to go on beer. For us, we'll be at port most of the time anyway. Those drinks ashore are going to be extra anyway.

A lot of questions have been answered already so I will just suggest....

If your wife cannot make use of the beverage package then it makes no sense IMO for the $ involved.

I would a) buy the bucket of beer which does a have a bit of a discount and take the extra beers back to the cabin to enjoy later. You can take them about the ship later.

b) buy beverage cards. They will give you the freedom to get what you want and not worry about all those little receipts

And c) make use of happy hour :)

I'm the same with a drink package usually... but this one is a bit on the expensive side with a limit tied to it. I'm thinking with the happy hour deals each day, we would be better off just buying as we go.

Does anyone know the answer to the question about the discount on the Elite package?

Thanks again!

I guess I just don't get the appeal of the beverage cards... for us it's going to be the same credit card used at the end of the cruise anyway. We don't buy anything but drinks and the gratuities added at the end of the cruise.

On a 30 day cruise my on board bill (that I need to check) is many pages long.

Add a bunch of bar purchases to it and it is voluminious and all of it has to checked.

So, I like the beverage card as it eliminates all those little slips and charges to my on board account. It's easy to track and no slips. And, whatever isn't used is refundable as a credit to your bill.

So, for me, it's convenience and if the OP is going to be enjoying a few drinks, they may find it helpful.

And, since I can pre-purchase the card, I can "choose" the timing of when I am going to subject to the exchange rates rather than "pay" on one day at the end of the cruise.

Just my preference ;)

1) Happy Hours vary by ship. It's usually 4-5 in certain bars. There is often a late night one as well. If you have a beverage package, the second drink for $2 thing doesn't apply. Each drink counts toward one of your 15.

2) The drinks have to be the same. As long as you and your wife drink the same thing, you're okay. Otherwise, no.

3) You could ask for your second drink to be served after your first. I've seen people do it with white wine if they were worried about it getting warm. I drink bourbon on the rocks, so I just order a double. Your second drink has to be inside of happy hour. (This is pretty standard at bars on land, too.)

4) I don't know what you drink, so I'll just assume that you are having 16 oz Buds at $6.25. Your first beer would be $6.25, as would #3, and #5. Numbers 2, 4, and 6 would be $2. You'd be ordering three round at $8.25 per round or $25.75. You'd ask for #2 - #6 to be unopened.

5) Buckets are 5 beers each. A bucket of 12 oz beers is $26. Your 16oz Buds (which you now drink for the purpose of this exercise) are $28, as are all the other 16 oz aluminum can-bottle things.

6) You'd need the Elite Beverage Package, which would cover your Cabo Margarita. I have to ask why you want both Cointreau and Grand Marnier in your margarita. They're both orange liquors. You don't normally double them up. It's usually one or the other. Are you going for a particularly orangey drink? Your super-orange-a-rita would be eligible for Happy Hour.

7) You can't use your beverage package on Half Moon Cay.

8) The signature beverage package is $5 less if you buy it ahead of time. (That's an 11.1% discount.) You can upgrade it to the Elite Package once you're on board for $10 pp per day + 15% service charge, or a net out of pocket of $63.19 pp/day.

Hope that helps. If you care to tell us who the other line is, that might help. It sort of sounds like NCL, but they don't have Cabo on their list.

Awesome info! I only drink beer so that is good stuff to know. If both people in the cabin need to get the package, we probably will not get it, so the happy hour info is good too.

Thank you for the very helpful details in this thread. If the happy hour drinks have to be the same, does that mean the exact same wine or can you get one white wine and one red?

~Maya

One white and one red aren't 'the same'. The drinks have to be the same at happy hour.