All inclusive alcohol package

Katbird93

We're heading out soon on Wind Surf on vacation, and are trying to decide if the cost of the drinks' package is over-priced. It seems awfully expensive (you'd have to have ten drinks a day, every day, to pay for it and that seems excessive).

We tend to buy a bottle of wine at dinner when we dine out, hate to be stuck with a lesser quality by-the-glass option if we take the package.

On the other hand, weighing the convenience of not having to think about each individual purchase! I'm flawed, I know I do the machinations about the math, and it does take away from peace of mind. Any advice?

My husband and I did a comparison thing on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago; I took the package, he didn't (this was before the "you share a cabin you both have to buy the package" rule). I spent about $30 less, but since sodas, specialty coffees and fresh OJ from one particular place were big treats for me, I'm not sure that it was a good value. I can't remember how much it cost but it was definitely less than Windstar's. On the other hand, Windstar doesn't charge extra for sodas, etc., right?

Thanks.

Carolyn

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

We just returned from the Yachtsmen's Caribbean itinerary on March 1. Long, tortuous flight back home to Seattle but a great trip! The drink package seems to be for serious or professional drinkers. I could probably break even if I tried really hard and started drinking at breakfast. My wife wouldn't stand a chance of drinking enough. As far as the hassle factor of signing the chit, it wasn't a problem for us. Very unobtrusive.

Soft drinks and coffee and tea and iced tea were all included without the drink package.

The per beverage cost seemed to be higher this trip. I don't know if that is specific to the Caribbean as our last two cruises were in the Mediterranean and the per drink cost was about 20 percent less.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the question asked earlier on this thread but cannot find the answer. What is the champagne or champagnes available in the all inclusive package. Does it fall under the same category as up to 11$ per glass and if so is there a link to the list by the glass?

The only information I have been able to find on champagne is the gift order form. There must be more choices available or am I going to end up in withdrawl from my favorite beverage on my upcoming cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the question asked earlier on this thread but cannot find the answer. What is the champagne or champagnes available in the all inclusive package. Does it fall under the same category as up to 11$ per glass and if so is there a link to the list by the glass?

The only information I have been able to find on champagne is the gift order form. There must be more choices available or am I going to end up in withdrawl from my favorite beverage on my upcoming cruise?

Yes, champagne is available through the inclusive alcohol package. I don't remember what kind it was, but it was dry. My wife is the champagne drinker.

We just returned from the Yachtsmen's Caribbean itinerary on March 1. Long, tortuous flight back home to Seattle but a great trip! The drink package seems to be for serious or professional drinkers. I could probably break even if I tried really hard and started drinking at breakfast. My wife wouldn't stand a chance of drinking enough. As far as the hassle factor of signing the chit, it wasn't a problem for us. Very unobtrusive.

When we did our Windsurf Baltic cruise a couple years ago, we signed up for the drink package. I probably wouldn't do it again.

At that time, the max drink for the drink package was $12, so I estimated we'd need to drink 6+ cocktails a piece each day to break even. We're on VACATION! so I figured that I might like a Bloody Mary or two in the morning ... my wife enjoys a Mimosa or two. Then maybe a gin and tonic or glass of wine or two at lunch ... and then maybe a glass of wine or two with dinner ... and perhaps something later in the evening.

The problem was that we were typically off ship for a large part of the day for excursions ... so while we were off-ship, we weren't using our drink package. And I really would prefer not to get hammered in the evening.

We only actually met my 6+ drink estimate once the entire trip. Maybe if were doing an ocean crossing, where everyday is at sea, it would be easier for us.

• 3 months later...

We just finished this cruise and so I'll comment as to our experience here and previous cruises. We did the Surf a few years ago BTB in the Caribbean. We (and others) were called to claim baggage at the embarkation port, and the two bottles of "carry on" scotch were confiscated to be returned after the cruise. On the Legend this month there was no taking of liquor either at the embarkation port nor other ports of call. We did enjoy some nice single malt in our room in the evening. Be aware that a cruise in Scotland does not lend itself to leisurely sitting out on deck in the evening whilst the ship travels to the next port as in the tropics.

There was no way we would have benefitted from the drinks package on either trip, and, we drank too much to be called "light drinkers". The convenience expressed by some that you don't have to worry about signing for each drink is not valid as they still require a signature for inventory purposes. They also allowed you to run an open tab and settle up as you left the bar area. In my opinion, and it is just that, the drinks package is good for predictably planning expenses only. Most who "get their money's worth" are avoided by many because they drink too much!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading about the packages with interest as we are looking at a June 2016 sailing on Star Breeze. The kicker for me is that we both have to have the package. DH enjoys a glass or two of wine at dinner (he'll buy a bottle) whereas I drink quite a bit :o. I guess I'll just stick with paying for my drinks as I go. Thanks for all the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We too struggle with this decision. The nice thing about the beverage package is not having to sign for each and every beverage. We purchased the package on our first WS, and probably did not drink near the daily cost, but it was convenient. Going again in December, and we may not purchase, since the price went up. We are Canadian, so we have to add another 35% to the price given our low dollar these days. Yikes!

We were thinking going on the Star Legend in Puerto Rico in January but the 35% premium on the $CA made us switch to Celebrity for the time being (same date):(. If money is no object, I would say go ahead with the convenience. If you are struggling with the decision, sign the receipt and spend the extra $$ somehow. There will always be extra or special occasion to spend it:).

dandee2

• 2 months later...

If a guest that hasn't purchased the Beverage Plan orders and signs for a drink that sells for $9.00 is the 15% tip automatically added to the drinks price by the server? (your $9.00 cocktail is in reality a $10.35 cocktail ($9.00 plus $1.35 for the required 15% tip = $10.35)). What I think I'm asking is does the server add the gratuity as a separate line item or does the bill for your drink say $10.35 for that drink? I was on the Windstar Pride last summer on a Med cruise and bought the Beverage Plan but I can't remember the plans details.

Also, if you have purchased the Beverage Plan and want to buy a bottle of wine at dinner does purchasing the Beverage Plan entitle you to a per bottle discount (Princess, for instance, offers a 40% (?) discount off the selling price of a bottle of wine whose menu price per bottle does not to exceed X number of dollars if you're on their Beverage Plan). If you purchased the Beverage Plan and have a few drinks how is the 15% gratuity added seeing you won't be getting a physical bill from your server?

As I recall, in the distant past, the beverage receipts were hand written, and the server sometimes added the gratuity, sometimes did not. When accounting received the receipt, it was adjusted accordingly. On our last trip, in April, I believe they had computer generated receipts that automatically added the gratuity as a separate line item. No, the beverage package does not make you eligible for a reduced price on bottles of wine. Here is the information from the Windstar web site:

*Premium Beverage Packages are only sold per stateroom/suite and must be purchased for all guests occupying a stateroom/suite. Package must be added by the first day of the cruise and must be purchased for full duration of the cruise. Package price (based on double occupancy) is $116 per stateroom/suite, per day, and does not include the standard 15% beverage service charge. Beverage premium up charge is $1.15 per glass. All sparkling wines and wines by the glass are included that are $12 and under. Bottles of wine and champagne are excluded from the package. Package prices are inclusive of applicable taxes. Minimum drinking age aboard Windstar Cruises is 21 years old.

What exactly is a beverage up charge? ('Beverage premium up charge is $1.15 per glass'.)

Just curious why cruise lines make understanding their Beverage plans less than simple :mad:. Really matters little to us because we always purchase the Beverage Plan if drinks are not part of the cruise fare. The exception is on river cruises where [local] wine and beer is usually complimentary at lunch and dinner. Wonder why the 'deep sea ships' can't adopt that policy?

Be careful for what you wish....

The all-inclusive lines are open-bar, and they provide decent liquor, with upcharges for only the most expensive brands. Where most fall short is in beer selection and the included wines. We've been on all the all inclusives and, for us, the included wines are almost undrinkable. Knowing wine a bit, I've seen them pouring many wines that are available at the grocery store for $5 (or less!). But many pax drink it up and seem happy with it. We usually opt for buying a bottle with dinner, as the generally good food... errr, cuisine in the main dining rooms deserve good wine to accompany.

The one exception was Regent way back in 2007 where they poured wines in the $20-45 range (checked on-line), and the head sommelier really knew her stuff. But I've read that they have lowered their quality too.

As for WS, we'll skip the package as the itenerary is port intensive and we expect not to be drunk all the time (darn). Having seen a recent wine list, they have a decent selection at fair prices. I figure we'll spend about $100 a day for a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks, so the package isn't compelling, especially since you have to sign chits anyway (that IS one of the good things about all-inclusives - no chits, unless you buy a bottle)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Be careful for what you wish....

The all-inclusive lines are open-bar, and they provide decent liquor, with upcharges for only the most expensive brands. Where most fall short is in beer selection and the included wines. We've been on all the all inclusives and, for us, the included wines are almost undrinkable. Knowing wine a bit, I've seen them pouring many wines that are available at the grocery store for $5 (or less!). But many pax drink it up and seem happy with it. We usually opt for buying a bottle with dinner, as the generally good food... errr, cuisine in the main dining rooms deserve good wine to accompany.

Interesting that you brought up the question of the wines that are served on the "all-inclusive" cruises. We had the impression that most of the wines that were served on our past Crystal cruises were rather good. Your posting motivated me to pull out some recent Crystal menus and price their all-inclusive wine selections. I checked about twenty of their offerings, and none were under $15 from the various on-line wine dealers, and several were as much as $50 to $60 a bottle. We did do a river cruise with AMA Waterways a few years ago, and I agree that the wines were forgettable, at best.