Looking for advice - star breeze

Michaelsbuddy

Thinking about star breeze splendor of silcy June 2016 . This will be our first cruise. We are traveling with our 16 year old son. Wondering feedback about this trip and if appropriate for a family

Edited by Michaelsbuddy

Although there has been an occasional teenager or even younger on the four Windstar cruises I have been on, I think most youths would find the cruises boring since they are lacking any true on-board "entertainment" for kids. It really depends on your child. He is unlikely to have many, if any, kids his own age on board.

I agree...there is pretty much nothing for a 16 year old on these ships other than the water platform which is not available on a daily basis if at all on some itineraries

I doubt you will want to stay on board during the day. There is so much to do ashore that I do not think he (or you) will be bored on Windstar. Even though my kids did not travel with us on Windstar, they did on Celebrity and prefered reading on-board and touring with us. Evening tends to be quiet but there is a good selection*of free movies available. You may also want to investigate prices for the internet.

Like someone said, it depend on each child/teen interest.

Happy sailing.

Think of it as a family vacation touring historic sites and cities. The only difference is that instead of wasting part of each day traveling from place to place you get to do the travel overnight while you're sleeping, and then wake up in the next destination. Pretty efficient, actually.

If that's what you're looking for - history and culture - go for it. If you're looking for a very active vacation with lots of sports, games, swimming etc., WS isn't the cruise for you.

A typical day on WS is:

1. wake up and get ready for the day. Have breakfast.

2. By that time the ship will usually be in port and you're free to get off anytime and spend your day exploring - or take a tour.

3. Return to the ship sometime late afternoon.

4. Spend some taking a nap, or time on deck having a drink or just enjoying the weather - hot tub if you want, or whatever.

5. 7:00 dinner starts.

6. 9:00 or so - throw the kids in the cabin and have a nightcap on deck.

Repeat.

Edited by milepig

Just returned from the June 17 Sicilian Cruise. It was incredible on the Breeze! We travelled with our 18 year old niece and there were several families aboard with kids 16-21. The deck BBQ was a lot of fun with music, dancing and awesome food. You will love it especially if your son likes history - the Greek temples in Agrigento are fantastic and the free tour and lunch are A++.

• 4 weeks later...

Seas were moderate a couple of nights and we could not tender in Gozo, Malta so we stayed an extra day in Valetta which was fine. We also were delayed 2 hours tendering in Capri because of swells and safety getting in the tender boats. Overall, much calmer seas than our last cruise from Southampton to Stockholm.