Star Breeze-- Wine Selection and Beverage Package

sauertea

I have a couple of questions. Firstly did anyone buy the all inclusive beverage package and was it worth it? Seems a bit pricey unless you are a really big drinker. Secondly what was the wine and spirit selection like onboard?

Thanks I had seen that post but was hoping for something more current and some info on the selection of wine available.

WS doesn't post their wine list anywhere I've even seen, I'm sure because it's continually changing. We were pleased with the wines offered on all of our recent cruises, both in terms of variety and value. The have a decent mix of new and old world wines and you can find many decent bottles in the $35-45 range along with some more expensive but you don't need to go there unless you want to - you can drink very well for under $50 a bottle.

But, you won't get any of those with the beverage package:

All sparkling wines and wines by the glass are included that are $12 and under. Bottles of wine and champagne are excluded from the package.

Bottom line for me has always been that you'd need to be a serious alcoholic to drink that that much booze every day. You're looking at $232 per cabin per day.

WS doesn't post their wine list anywhere I've even seen, I'm sure because it's continually changing. We were pleased with the wines offered on all of our recent cruises, both in terms of variety and value. The have a decent mix of new and old world wines and you can find many decent bottles in the $35-45 range along with some more expensive but you don't need to go there unless you want to - you can drink very well for under $50 a bottle.

But, you won't get any of those with the beverage package:

All sparkling wines and wines by the glass are included that are $12 and under. Bottles of wine and champagne are excluded from the package.

Bottom line for me has always been that you'd need to be a serious alcoholic to drink that that much booze every day. You're looking at $232 per cabin per day.

Thanks so much, I too had done the math on the alcohol package we figured if we drank that much we would miss the entire cruise. The info on the range of wines is helpful.

Depending on your itinerary....you can bring back two bottles of wine from each port you visit...way to go if you are visiting Europe. An opportunity to taste local wines. Enjoy in your cabin as well as on deck.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I thought it was $58 a person which equals $116 a cabin based on double occupancy not $116 a person x 2.

When I look at amenity add ons, it says $933 per cabin for our 7 day cruise. So I'm guessing $933 / 7 = $116 + 15% = $133.40 a day

This is my first Windstar, so I could easily be wrong.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I thought it was $58 a person which equals $116 a cabin based on double occupancy not $116 a person x 2.

When I look at amenity add ons, it says $933 per cabin for our 7 day cruise. So I'm guessing $933 / 7 = $116 + 15% = $133.40 a day

This is my first Windstar, so I could easily be wrong.

You're correct: it's $116 per day + gratuity for a cabin, not double that. :)

If you get the package, verify the per glass price of any wine you order. A friend ordered a glass that was $11.50 on the printed menu, but had been raised to $12.50 on the computer. He had to escalate all the way to the hotel manager to get the charge removed... They said corporate sets the computer price and ship staff can't change it. And days later it was still shown as $11.50 on the printed menus. Gotta wonder how many others got stuck with the charge and didn't notice. And they didn't just charge the 50 cents over the $12 max, but the whole $12.50. Caveat emptor...

We will just buy by the bottle... or three :D

We had the package on our last Windstar cruise in the Caribbean. It equates to seven drinks per peson per day to break even. We thought it was good value. For example, a beer with lunch, a drink in the afternoon, a pre-dinner drink, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and two drinks in the evening, and you would break even. In my opinion that's not 'seriously alcoholic' when in holiday.

On a serious note, do they stock any good India Pale Ales while in the caribbean? And I suppose it would be silly to dream that they would have any on tap...

We have been on the Surf, Star and Pride. We have never seen an IPA or any beer on tap. I have seen some posts on CC that Windstar will stock a favorite beverage on your sailing if you request it to them early enough. I have never tried it and don't know if it is true.

You're correct: it's $116 per day + gratuity for a cabin, not double that. :)

My bad. It is $116 per day per cabin. I was reading the "double occupancy" line too fast. That's better, but I'd much prefer an bottle with dinner of something I'd actually drink. We don't typically drink an lunch, so our typical daily cost is:

Afternoon bottle bought on shore $25.

Bottle with dinner $45.

Rest of afternoon bottle on deck

Total $70.

Add maybe 4 cocktails each during the entire cruise.

Subtract afternoon wine on the captains reception day.

Subtract dinner wine on the day with the officer dinner.

We have been on the Surf, Star and Pride. We have never seen an IPA or any beer on tap. I have seen some posts on CC that Windstar will stock a favorite beverage on your sailing if you request it to them early enough. I have never tried it and don't know if it is true.

Thanks, worth a try. And who knows, if enough people request real beer they may stock some :rolleyes: