Oasis July 18-25

My wife, family members and friends (30 all together) just returned from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean (July 18-25). We had a fabulous time!! Below are some of my Pros and Cons of our trip.

Entertainment

Water Show – Always exciting and entertaining

Glow Party – It was cool seeing all the glow outfits and accessories. It is a family event.

70’s Party – Lots of people dressed up in 70’s attire. It was a lot of fun.

Take a nap, it starts late night!

Prohibition Party - Lots of people dressed up. It was also lot of fun.

ICE Show – Always good

Love and Marriage – Barely funny. It should be replaced. Not kid friendly.

Battle of the Sexes – Funny!

The Quest – Hilarious, interactive and competitive. Not kid friendly.

CATS – This has always been a show that you either love or hate (even on

Broadway). So I will not comment.

Headliner – Mixed reviews. On some ships it has been great. On Oasis, some in our party loved it while others could do without it

Come Fly With Me – Just OK – Royal has had much better shows

Comedy Club – Both comedians for very funny. We had a good time

Bars – All the bartenders were personable and very attentive.

Photo Package – Can be great! But do not buy in advance. A lot of people could not find pictures they had taken. Plus, on the last day of the cruise, photo package specials are offered. Even though the photographers tell you it is based on ‘face recognition’ give them your card anyway to make sure your photos are in your file.

Drink Packages – If you buy at least 3-4 drinks a day, these packages more than easily pay for themselves. Keep in mind that most drinks you buy on the ship can cost $12-$14 and then an 18% gratuity will be added.

Ports

Cozumel – You have to try Paradise Beach. It is beautiful and clean! Very nice beach, beautiful pool and open air restaurant. The staff is very professional and friendly, the drinks are real drinks and the food is great! The cost was $10.00 round trip per person cab ride there from the International Pier. DO NOT fall for the pitch men inside trying to sell beach packages. Go out front and grab a cab. Paradise Beach is $3.00 per person for entry. They ‘request’ that you spend $10.00 per person on food and/or drinks. This is NOT a problem. Another option is $15.00 per person to have access to various water activities/equipment.

Jamaica – We had a wonderful bi-city tour of Falmouth and Montego Bay for $30.00 per person. They also stop by Scotchies for the best barbecue and jerk chicken, beef, pork and fish found anywhere. For beach goers please send me an email for details on the do’s and don’ts.

Dining Venues

Park Café – You have to try the Roast Beef on Kimmelweck. To die for!

The Grande - Great for dinner every night. The wait staff was top notch.

American Icon - Nice sit down service and/or buffet for breakfast.

Silk – Sit Down or buffet lunch. They make the best salads found

anywhere.

Sabor - The food was just OK. Guacamole dip was very good.

Izumi’s – The Sushi is absolutely perfect. They also have a great hibachi

lunch or dinner

Chops – Always great, but has become very pricey ($39 per person).

Johnny Rockets – The kids loved it.

Thanks for your review, Glenn. DH and I are going to be on Oasis in just about 10 days-- can't wait! Your comments about the drink package were really helpful; we've been mulling over what to do about that. Can't believe the prices!

Hi Cruisamaniac,

Thanks for your condensed review! I would like more information on Jamaica. Please email me at mg2162@optonline.net.

We are going on Oasis Western Caribbean as a group of 18. Any info is appreciated. Do you know the pricing of the other specialty restaurants?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Sailing on aug 15th western. As far as the tour in Jamaica, was that tour offered through rccl or did you go with a private tour company on your own? If so, can you please tell me the name of the company. Thank you in advance.

Hi there. Please let me know exactly what info you need concerning Jamaica and I will be more than happy to share.

I will provide info here on a city trip and a beach trip

City Tour

Call Don ( Adrian McKenzie). Don is the real deal. He has been the driver for many of our local Missionary trips. He is honest and takes care of his customers. Very Knowledgeable and will give you a great tour. If interested I can provide his number. About 4 Hours

Beach

Right off the bat I can tell you that Royal Caribbean's port at Jamaica is very nice. They offer trips to Dr. Cave Beach. It's very nice. However, some drivers will try to take you to 'public beaches' because they'll get a kickback. Be very sure when you get in a cab that you decide the price and location first. If going to Dr. Cave and you pass Margaretville you have gone to far. The port director can get your money back but it's a day wasted.

Thank you for your review. We had not considered Paradise Beach because our past stops in Cozumel were spent downtown at Carlos & Charlie's or whatever it's called these days! We were considering a beach day instead this time around and had pretty much decided on Nachi Cocom, but hadn't reserved yet. Now I have to put Paradise Beach in our consideration mix.... it seems they both get good reviews with a big difference being one is all-inclusive (Nachi) and the other is coverage charge with minimum food purchase. Hmm. Our days of the loud bar scene are pretty much over!

Edited by birdlord

Birdlord - we have done Paradise and Nachi. Paradise has a much bigger resort type pool and is a bigger beach club. Nachi has a nice pool and is very low key. Definitely the quieter of the two and very few kids. Paradise will be more crowded with more families. Hope this helps on your decision.

Thanks for the review on Oasis! Do you remember what night the Glow party is and where are glow things available?

Birdlord - we have done Paradise and Nachi. Paradise has a much bigger resort type pool and is a bigger beach club. Nachi has a nice pool and is very low key. Definitely the quieter of the two and very few kids. Paradise will be more crowded with more families. Hope this helps on your decision.

Thanks, it most certainly does! :)

Sailing on aug 15th western. As far as the tour in Jamaica, was that tour offered through rccl or did you go with a private tour company on your own? If so, can you please tell me the name of the company. Thank you in advance.

This tour company is not thru RCCL. A local group that does yearly trips to Jamaica recommended the company to us. The company is High Life Tours & Cruising. Request Don - (Adrian McKenzie) 1-876-413-2559BsAt4ube4GblQIAAAAASUVORK5CYII= htc_don@yahoo.com

Thanks for the review on Oasis! Do you remember what night the Glow party is and where are glow things available?

Birdlord,

The Glow Party was Day 4, around 10:00 pm. You can get glow stuff from Party City or Amazon.

Thank you for your review. We had not considered Paradise Beach because our past stops in Cozumel were spent downtown at Carlos & Charlie's or whatever it's called these days! We were considering a beach day instead this time around and had pretty much decided on Nachi Cocom, but hadn't reserved yet. Now I have to put Paradise Beach in our consideration mix.... it seems they both get good reviews with a big difference being one is all-inclusive (Nachi) and the other is coverage charge with minimum food purchase. Hmm. Our days of the loud bar scene are pretty much over!

Actually, there is no loud bar scene at Paradise. The cover charge is a little misleading. If you and yours are planning to be there for the day and plan on ordering lunch or and/or a drink, virgin or otherwise, you will be fine. We had kids (11, 12 & 13) with us and def would not have done so had it been a 'hangout'.

Hi there. Please let me know exactly what info you need concerning Jamaica and I will be more than happy to share.

City Tour

Call Don ( Adrian McKenzie). Don is the real deal. He has been the driver for many of our local Missionary trips. He is honest and takes care of his customers. Very Knowledgeable and will give you a great tour. If interested I can provide his number. About 4 Hours

Beach

Right off the bat I can tell you that Royal Caribbean's port at Jamaica is very nice. They offer trips to Dr. Cave Beach. It's very nice. However, some drivers will try to take you to 'public beaches' because they'll get a kickback. Be very sure when you get in a cab that you decide the price and location first. If going to Dr. Cave and you pass Margaretville you have gone to far. The port director can get your money back but it's a day wasted.

Thank you. Approximately now long were you gone on the tour? All Day? Half day. Did you get a sense of culture? I am bringing Tweens and I want them to see a little beyond the beach alone. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
My wife, family members and friends (30 all together) just returned from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean (July 18-25). We had a fabulous time!! Below are some of my Pros and Cons of our trip.

Entertainment

Glow Party – It was cool seeing all the glow outfits and accessories. It is a family event.

ICE Show – Always good

Headliner – Mixed reviews. On some ships it has been great. On Oasis, some in our party loved it while others could do without it

Photo Package – Can be great! But do not buy in advance. A lot of people could not find pictures they had taken. Plus, on the last day of the cruise, photo package specials are offered. Even though the photographers tell you it is based on ‘face recognition’ give them your card anyway to make sure your photos are in your file.

Drink Packages – If you buy at least 3-4 drinks a day, these packages more than easily pay for themselves. Keep in mind that most drinks you buy on the ship can cost $12-$14 and then an 18% gratuity will be added.

Ports

Cozumel – You have to try Paradise Beach. It is beautiful and clean! Very nice beach, beautiful pool and open air restaurant. The staff is very professional and friendly, the drinks are real drinks and the food is great! The cost was $10.00 round trip per person cab ride there from the International Pier. DO NOT fall for the pitch men inside trying to sell beach packages. Go out front and grab a cab. Paradise Beach is $3.00 per person for entry. They ‘request’ that you spend $10.00 per person on food and/or drinks. This is NOT a problem. Another option is $15.00 per person to have access to various water activities/equipment.

Jamaica – We had a wonderful bi-city tour of Falmouth and Montego Bay for $30.00 per person. They also stop by Scotchies for the best barbecue and jerk chicken, beef, pork and fish found anywhere. For beach goers please send me an email for details on the do’s and don’ts.

Dining Venues

anywhere.

lunch or dinner

What is prohibition party??!!

Entertainment

ICE Show – Always good

Ports

Dining Venues

anywhere.

lunch or dinner

We were on this cruise and missed the glow party.... damn!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk