Issues With Meet & Mingle

I was recently on the Adventure of the Seas and attended the meet & mingle. I am sadly disappointed by the behaviour of some of our members who also attended this event. Forgive me as I am about to step on a few toes here but I need to get this off of my chest. Some long time cruisers were making comments to the cruise director about getting the same free gift over and over and the same prizes from the raffle over and over again. I'm sorry to say, it's comments like that, that ruin it for the rest of us. Just because you have cruised since Moses walked the earth and you are jaded doesn't give you the right to complain about a free gift. If you don't want that free gift feel free not to take it. When people make comments about an event that the cruise line holds for us free of charge that event could easily be taken away like many of the other fun things that we use to get and no longer do. The other thing that bothered me were the people who signed up for the meet and mingle and couldn't be bothered to show up. If you sign up you need to show up or the party could be taken away from us. Just some food for thought! I've now gotten this off my chest, feel free to comment if you want.

The last two M&Ms I went to, the HOST was making jokes about the Royal Caribbean "crap" (their words, not mine) being given away. I don't let it bother me. When I go, I go to meet the folks I've chatted with on line and may have excursions planned with. I certainly don't go for the possibility of winning a fanny pack, key chain, or a highlighter. If I walk away with one of the free bottles of wine, that's a pleasant bonus.

Which route was your cruise??? We are going on Adventure in October and was wondering in our roll call which day and time was the meet & mingle. We are cruising on the Aruba route.

I think the crew take guests like that in stride. Like 1ParticularHbr said, they even crack jokes occasionally about the key chains and pens. I agree with you though, it is a bit tacky to complain about free stuff.

The M&M they held for us on Indy last year actually had some really great stuff given away. A couple bottles of wine, some hats and other logo stuff. I think there was even a free ticket to one of the specialty restaurants if memory serves.

For sure the trinkets are not of high value.

Sometimes, we have had CD say something like ' you are competing for some neat Royal Caribbean junk' Everyone laughed and everyone, hopefully, knew the fun was in the entertainment value of the event, not in the Royal Caribbean branded trinkets.

I use to love to compete for the vaulted ShipShape points to get a t-shirt, visor or some other item that I have no clue where it is now.

I love the Meet & Mingles. As 1ParticularHbr says, it's the opportunity to get to put a face to the name of that nut case you've been having so much fun with over the preceding months.

On many of my cruises, The Crew (the Cruise Critic Crew, that is) have added to the event with gift exchanges, cabin crawls, cash collection for a slot pull, forming trivia or horse race teams or other activities.

All in all, I believe we all need to be more appreciative. Otherwise, it's very possible that a year or so from now; we'll find ourselves complaining about the good old days, back when the line used to host get M&Ms. and the new cruisers will have no idea what we're talking about. :(

And yes, if you sign up ... go. It's only an hour (at the most) and someone went to the trouble of trying to do something nice. It's just good manners.

I love the Meet & Mingles. As 1ParticularHbr says, it's the opportunity to get to put a face to the name of that nut case you've been having so much fun with over the preceding months.

On many of my cruises, The Crew (the Cruise Critic Crew, that is) have added to the event with gift exchanges, cabin crawls, cash collection for a slot pull, forming trivia or horse race teams or other activities.

All in all, I believe we all need to be more appreciative. Otherwise, it's very possible that a year or so from now; we'll find ourselves complaining about the good old days, back when the line used to host get M&Ms. and the new cruisers will have no idea what we're talking about. :(

And yes, if you sign up ... go. It's only an hour (at the most) and someone went to the trouble of trying to do something nice. It's just good manners.

I am with you. Need to be appreciative of the M&M event/effort.

What is the dress code for the M & M ? RC website says dress casual. Long pants, collared shirt ? Can you arrive 15 minutes late ? Spa appointment ending at start time of the M & M. Thanks Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

What is the dress code for the M & M ? RC website says dress casual. Long pants, collared shirt ?

As I recall most are in morning. My dress was t-shirt/shorts/flip flops. I did look nice.

We have also done cabin crawls right afterwards on a couple of cruises.

Arriving late was never a problem on our cruises. They go on without you! Just be quiet as you enter and then wait till an appropriate time to get caught up from someone if you need to. They may have started a drawing or some other announcement.

Edited by shipshape sam

What is the dress code for the M & M ? RC website says dress casual. Long pants, collared shirt ? Can you arrive 15 minutes late ? Spa appointment ending at start time of the M & M. Thanks Gerry.

Very casual.

I find it interesting that some of the folks show up for the Meet & Mingle when they have cruised a zillion times. If they have been that many times, they know what is going to be given away. If they don't like the "Crap" don't take it. They obviously show up to get "free crap." LOL

I think it is more about the social experience of meeting folks from your roll call and the people who have signed up for the M&M.

Now, that said about people not showing up- we had a small issue with a few people who got last minute upgrades. Their notices did not get delivered to the cabin. The time of the M&M changed as well. We got our notice, and it was for an hour earlier than had been posted all along.

So it is possible that some people who did not attend were either unaware of the proper time, or maybe did not get their notices switched over to new cabins if they got last minute upgrades.

As I recall most are in morning. My dress was t-shirt/shorts/flip flops. I did look nice.

We have also done cabin crawls right afterwards on a couple of cruises.

Arriving late was never a problem on our cruises. They go on without you! Just be quiet as you enter and then wait till an appropriate time to get caught up from someone if you need to. They may have started a drawing or some other announcement.

Very casual.

Perfect. Thanks, Gerry.

I was recently on the Adventure of the Seas and attended the meet & mingle. I am sadly disappointed by the behaviour of some of our members who also attended this event. Forgive me as I am about to step on a few toes here but I need to get this off of my chest. Some long time cruisers were making comments to the cruise director about getting the same free gift over and over and the same prizes from the raffle over and over again. I'm sorry to say, it's comments like that, that ruin it for the rest of us. Just because you have cruised since Moses walked the earth and you are jaded doesn't give you the right to complain about a free gift. If you don't want that free gift feel free not to take it. When people make comments about an event that the cruise line holds for us free of charge that event could easily be taken away like many of the other fun things that we use to get and no longer do. The other thing that bothered me were the people who signed up for the meet and mingle and couldn't be bothered to show up. If you sign up you need to show up or the party could be taken away from us. Just some food for thought! I've now gotten this off my chest, feel free to comment if you want.

Dolphingirl, I hear ya. Your points are well taken. Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where it may be simpler for you to adjust your expectations. On every cruise that I've ever been on, I've encountered the "entitled few", whose only goal is to be miserable for the entire sailing. There were a couple of M&Ms that I personally have missed due to circumstances beyond my control, on the day of the meeting. Hey, stuff happens... :rolleyes: While I definitely agree with you on most of your points, it's one of those things that you just can't really do anything about. Don't get too worked up, just stay focused and enjoy your cruises!

That doesn't help me with my question. Our roll call would like to know which day and time the meet and mingle is on the Aruba route. We don't have a confirmed meet and mingle yet!

We only had 1 sea day on our Adventure cruise... The M&M was held at about 4 pm on the one sea day...

Yes, you can be a few minutes late. They didn't get started right away...

I was lucky enough to win a book 'Artwork of the Allure' which I think is really nice. But even add they were giving it out they mentioned they'd found it at the back of a cupboard when they were cleaning things out in prep for drydock :)

I hadn't moved rooms, had been one of the guest to sign up but got no invite at all. The time had changed, so I'd have missed it completely except another Ccer found me. I got no notifications of any C&A events on that cruise , though others did.

I was lucky enough to win a book 'Artwork of the Allure' which I think is really nice. But even add they were giving it out they mentioned they'd found it at the back of a cupboard when they were cleaning things out in prep for drydock :)

I hadn't moved rooms, had been one of the guest to sign up but got no invite at all. The time had changed, so I'd have missed it completely except another Ccer found me. I got no notifications of any C&A events on that cruise , though others did.

It happens. Good reason to keep in touch with M&M people from your sailing. We have always had lists names/etc. Not always the same info, but for sure we tend to meet for a sail away and get cabin info or updated M&M status. We have had 2 M&M's on at least one of our cruises. Royal sponsored both. It may of been because we had a good leader/coordinator. That helps.

Good luck on your next cruise and have a great cruise. We like M&M's but they are not what makes our cruises great. It is the drinking. Just kidding.

Sadly, same can be said of my first ever Diamond events on my last cruise. One older gent took every opportunity to complain about everything imaginable to anyone who would listen. Drug down the mood of the whole place, and those who were not enjoying his griping were always glad to see him go. (on the rare occasion that he would step away from the free drinks). I felt sorry for any Royal staff who had to smile and act nice to his crew. The loyalty ambassador would walk up behind his group and you could see her visibly prepare herself for the abuse she was about to be subjected to. I told my wife if I ever lowered my cruising game and became like that old windbag, that she had my permission to just shoot me.

That doesn't help me with my question. Our roll call would like to know which day and time the meet and mingle is on the Aruba route. We don't have a confirmed meet and mingle yet!

Here's the list of "confirmed" meet and mingles for all the ships. They are in order of sail date. You can scroll through and see the various Adventure meet and mingle times. It looks like they are all on Tuesdays and some are at 5pm while others are at 11:30am. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ports of call for each one or not. The aug 8th sail date is one of the Aruba routes with 4 port days instead of 5 and they have an 11:30am time. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccConfirmedPartyList.do?src=CCC

Edited by ColoradoGurl

No one knows until the staff of the ship announce a day, time, and place. It will not always be the same as on a previous sailing on the same ship and itinerary. Therefore, really way to help with your question at this time.

Also, it will sometimes be changed from the announced schedule!

Yes, you can be a few minutes late. They didn't get started right away...
I learned my lesson at my first M&M, when my daughter and I showed up about 10 minutes late, to find that everything was over. Because it had been a very active roll call, and there were over 100 signed up for the M&M, I reasoned that it would take at least 10 minutes to get everyone inside the room - but I was wrong. Well, we did get to meet and chat with half a dozen people who were still hanging around - several of whom had actually wondered where we were. On my next cruise (with my other daughter), we got there early, and they did start late. She was delighted to win a sun visor.