Navigator of the Seas July 19-July26

Navigator July 19-July 26: (First time sailing on RCCL) 14 year old son and Dad arrived at Galveston Park-n-Cruise parking at 10:20 a.m. Walked across the street and gave luggage to porter. Got in line outside terminal at 10:30 a.m. As approached inside of terminal, far right line opened and walked directly to check-in counter. Completed check-in and went directly onto ship. Time was now 10:57 a.m. Check-in was a breeze.

Walked around exploring and went to Windjammers for lunch at 11:30 a.m. which was not crowded. Food was decent for a buffet. Explored ship after lunch and went to room at 1:10 p.m. and changed into swimsuits for a nice dip in the pools.

Luggage did not arrive until 6:00 p.m. Room Stewart (Jennifer) stated that those first on the ship usually got their luggage last.

We had early supper seating. Food was great every night in Main Dining Room except last night (Pomodoro). (If you are going to choose a specialty restaurant, do so on “Pomodoro” menu night.) We had two starters/apps and two main courses every night except lobster night (Friday) when we had 3 lobster tails along with two starters/apps. Was asked if we wanted another but declined.

Head waiter stated that shorts are allowed in Main Dining Room except for the two formal nights. We wore khaki pants, white shirts, and ties on formal nights. We wore shorts the other nights. We sat at a table of six and service was quick.

My son did activities with the 12-14 year old group on sea days/evenings and on shore days in the evenings. He had a great time with the activities and just walking around/hanging out with his new friends.

We went to the 3:30 p.m. Ice Show on Monday. It was a great show. Do not miss this show.

Weather was great every day. We visited Cozumel (Mr. Sancho’s All-Inclusive Beach Resort: ask for Martin for your waiter. All you can eat and drink. The coconut shrimp were great. I ate 10 of them along with various other items such as chicken fajitas, rice, beans, and 3 shrimp cocktails.) on Tuesday. On Wednesday we visited Belize (RCCL Wildlife and Zoo Tour: had a great time and lunch was included.) On Thursday we visited Roatan (RCCL Tabyana Beach Break Excursion: had a great time and a great buffet was included.)

Thursday Night on the pool deck there was a big party with all of the bands each playing beginning at 9:45 p.m. and at 10:30 p.m. there was a finger food type buffet.

We ate lunch in Johnny Rockets on Saturday. Very good food along with a great milk shake.

Overall, we had a great time and the food was really good in the Main Dining Room except for the Pomodoro menu. The RCCL staff was nice everywhere on the ship.

Even though it was summer break, there were not a lot of kids running around. They behaved real well. With the ship’s guests you could however tell who was from Texas and who was not. Guests from up north were ruder, especially getting on/off the elevators and in Windjammers. The folks from Texas were much nicer saying “excuse me”, etc. whereas this was not in the other folks vocabulary. When someone was rude, I asked them if they were from somewhere besides Texas and they then asked me how did I know that. I told them that I had “ESP”.

Getting off of the ship was a piece of cake. We had #15 (9:30 a.m.) but went earlier with no problem. Once in the terminal we got a porter and breezed through customs. Getting a porter is the best way to go. It took less than 20 minutes.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away as I am a Texan and will help as needed.

Well I hope when I take the Navigator out of Ft. Lauderdale in November there are a lot of Texans onboard to compensate for all of us from Florida & northeast because we are all very rude. Just the fact that you lump everyone who is not from Texas as rude is very RUDE

Well I hope when I take the Navigator out of Ft. Lauderdale in November there are a lot of Texans onboard to compensate for all of us from Florida & northeast because we are all very rude. Just the fact that you lump everyone who is not from Texas as rude is very RUDE

That didn't take long

Head waiter stated that shorts are allowed in Main Dining Room except for the two formal nights. We wore khaki pants, white shirts, and ties on formal nights. We wore shorts the other nights.

This was reported on another recent Navigator thread. Did you notice a sign at the MDR entrance with any suggested dress information? In the past, this sign stated shorts are not permitted in the MDR. I am curious if it has been removed or modified.

Any other recent cruisers on other ships experience this?

I agree, I saw many hillbillies on my Naviagtor cruise and I am sure they were Texans, but to lump everyone in a category is stupid.

He didn't lump everyone...he said "When someone was rude...", he asked where they were from. And all of those particular rude people said other than Texas. How is that lumping everyone? The person was already being rude when he asked...so they themselves proved his line of thinking.

Not sure why you took it so personally...you weren't the rude person on the elevator.

Thanks for the review! We're heading out on the Navigator in just a couple of months, ourselves. VERY excited!

Please do tell more about the shorts for men in the dining room. This will make the men we are traveling with VERY happy... Of course I assume these were golf-style dressier shorts? Was there a sign posted?

"you could tell however who was from Texas & who was not". That is lumping

Rude is rude, no matter where you're from. The rude people in question ended up being from outside of Texas, hence proving his thought.

Honestly, I'm not seeing why his thought process bothers you so much. Just my opinion... :confused:

Edited by sredish

Thanks for the review! We're heading out on the Navigator in just a couple of months, ourselves. VERY excited!

Please do tell more about the shorts for men in the dining room. This will make the men we are traveling with VERY happy... Of course I assume these were golf-style dressier shorts? Was there a sign posted?

No sign was posted. I just asked the Head Waiter and she said that since everyone was on vacation and were relaxing, they now allow shorts in the Main Dining Room except for the two Formal Nights. Those that wore shorts wore cargo shorts, flat front shorts, etc. The shorts were not athletic type. I would estimate that at least 1/3 of the males and 1/4 of the females wore shorts to supper.

it bothers me when anyone generalizes . Obviously there are rude people from all over even believe or not from Texas including the poster with ESP. Just my opinion

Billy10 I am sorry that you did not understand my post. I only encountered 6 or 7 people who were rude out of 3800 people on the ship. They happened to be from outside of Texas. This is not "lumping", it just happened to be true. As we say in Texas, "Don't get your panties in a wad" (translation: To become overwrought or unnecessarily upset over a trivial matter.) Relax and enjoy your vacation on the Navigator.

No sign was posted. I just asked the Head Waiter and she said that since everyone was on vacation and were relaxing, they now allow shorts in the Main Dining Room except for the two Formal Nights. Those that wore shorts wore cargo shorts, flat front shorts, etc. The shorts were not athletic type. I would estimate that at least 1/3 of the males and 1/4 of the females wore shorts to supper.

I'm reading it but can't believe it. Is Royal really changing the no shorts at dinner rule? I am sailing on the Navigator in August and would LOVE to leave my khaki pants at home. I would hate to not have long pants with me and the NO SHORTS sign still be up in the MDR! Will monitor CC for more information on the subject.

I'm reading it but can't believe it. Is Royal really changing the no shorts at dinner rule? I am sailing on the Navigator in August and would LOVE to leave my khaki pants at home. I would hate to not have long pants with me and the NO SHORTS sign still be up in the MDR! Will monitor CC for more information on the subject.

For some reason, this particular cruise is always less "formal" than others I've taken. I've sailed out of Galveston three times and it just always seems to be a much more casual environment than other RCCI cruises.

This will make the men we are traveling with thrilled.

The shorts at dinner is definitely a change for the Navigator. We were on her in March and the no shorts sign was right in front and folks were being turned away. Maybe they changed it for the summer time cruises.

Doesn't matter to me but for those who would like to wear shorts I guess it would be nice if there was consistency.

You wouldn't see shorts in the Celibrity MDR. How 'bout a little class?

But this discussion is not about Celebrity. As for "a little class", a shorts outfit can be put together to look a lot classier than the "acceptable" polyester pants with a flowered shirt!

Well being a fellow native Texan, I most likely would have handled things differently. I'm sure there was a level of rudeness from others that set him off a bit. Having said that, I don't think I would have stated the way it was stated in the OP. Meaning, while I'm a native Texan, I've also traveled enough to meet and mingle with other from different regions of the country, Each have differing mannerisms, sense of humors, and social interests. There is no doubt that Texans in general are polite folks, but some can also be brazen and loud as his post shows.

I hope people do not get the wrong idea toward all Texans because of his post. I'm Texas Proud as most Texans are, but I also enjoying meeting people from different walks of life and regions of the US. And if by chance, we cruise together, I'm sure we'll mosey on up to the bar and pop a top or two and perhaps toast to General Sam.

The Navigator and soon to be Liberty sails out of Galveston, TX. Wearing shorts in Houston, Austin and Dallas is pretty common and even considered stylish wear for men. I think primarily due to the heat. Now I don't think I would wear shorts when sailing out of Boston or perhaps Jersey. So don't think for a moment those people who wear shorts do not have a class that you can't feel comfortable with.

My suggestion is that you adjust yourself a tad to the Port that you sail from. As this will be most of your cruise mates will be from. I at least try to.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Goodness. Texans know that we are a very friendly State and we are proud that we go out of our way to be kind. It is just the way it is here. In saying that, I dont know if what was said about people from other States was needed. Not on a public board

There are a lot of great people from other states too.

Shorts? You know, half the MDR could be wearing them and I most likely would not notice. As long as they are wearing shirts with the shorts, they look okay sitting at their tables. If it's not formal night, I don't know why anybody cares (though I'm sure someone will inform me shortly as to why this is so important. ;)) You would really only have 2 opportunities to notice anyway - when the person walks in and when they walk out.

Rude? There are no real geographic predictors for rude, in my experience. Rude seems to transcend geographic and cultural boundaries.

Judy

The Navigator and soon to be Liberty sails out of Galveston, TX. Wearing shorts in Houston, Austin and Dallas is pretty common and even considered stylish wear for men. I think primarily due to the heat. Now I don't think I would wear shorts when sailing out of Boston or perhaps Jersey. So don't think for a moment those people who wear shorts do not have a class that you can't feel comfortable with.

My suggestion is that you adjust yourself a tad to the Port that you sail from. As this will be most of your cruise mates will be from. I at least try to.

You do not see shorts in the better restaurants in Dallas such as Del Frisco, Ruth Chris and 3 Forks. Chilis and Outback yes.

You do not see shorts in the better restaurants in Dallas such as Del Frisco, Ruth Chris and 3 Forks. Chilis and Outback yes.

And you would be comparing the MDR to Del Frisco, Ruth Chris or 3 Forks? I don't think so!