Boarding again: P and O lies

Clodia

Sorry to raise this again. I am finally Caribbean Tier after YEARS of cruising, and was looking forward to boarding earlier this time. Some little grunt in P and of lack-of-Customer -Services is now telling me I cannot.

To say that I am angry, upset, and on the verge of cancelling this and the next 2 cruises i have booked with them is the understatement of the century. Has anyone else had this experience?

What is the POINT of spending years getting to Caribbean Tier if you are treated like this?

As I have said in another place. You will board at 13.00 not the time on your Eticket. That has been made quite clear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Couldn't agree more Dai B. That is the routine which is now clearly promulgated.

Frankly, I can't see what all the fuss is about, especially threats to cancel and thereby lose a deposit. The greatest advantage I find is the 10% discount on all you spend after your OBC has gone.

I think part of the problem is that if we are given a choice we all choose to arrive between 12 and 1 as most hotels require to us check out by 11am. It was to avoid the crowded terminal that staggered times were introduced. They were trying to be helpful but not everyone appreciates that. Better facilities at the terminal would help. Why not offer refreshments and duty free shops like at airports? I don't mean booze, but there isn't even a newsagents.

Hello Supergran.

Hardly a fair comparator.

Surely airports are operating almost 24 hours a day and passengers are required to be there at least 2 hours in advance.

Cruise terminals are open for embarking passengers less than 4 hours a day and most get through within the hour.

Hello Richard,

Early or later boarding doesn't bother me. As long as we get onboard we are happy. You are right that we shouldn't expect the same facilities as at an airport but there isn't an lot at Southampton to keep passengers entertained while they queue, or there wasn't the last time we were there. If you are driving long distances on the day it isn't easy to arrive at the 'correct' time. If you don't allow enough time you could miss the ship but if you arrive too early then you are hanging around, sometimes without anywhere to sit. I think the staff do their best to board everyone as soon as possible and they will never please everyone whether it is a free for all or timed slot. I think the start of this thread was should higher loyalty tiers be able to board early, or at a time of their choosing. I think if that perk has been offered then it should be adhered to.Just my humble opinion. 🙂

Edited by supergran

Yes you did say some people but the inference I perceived was that you felt this was the majority requirement.

As regards choice, I just wish that P&O would give their paying passengers some choice on this issue.

Don't worry about it. Your apology is accepted.

Has been years and years since we have flown, but would it be the same these days. You can walk around all the duty free shops, in the airport, but if you are flying with in the EU, when you show your flight pass , you are not allowed to purchase said items...

Maybe a bigger tea/coffee place..but thinking outside the box , would those seats be taken by people waiting in the terminal (a bit like one of the bars on Arcadia I think it was...we wanted a posh coffee, but the seats were all taken by people reading and sleeping)

I think the start of this thread was should higher loyalty tiers be able to board early, or at a time of their choosing. I think if that perk has been offered then it should be adhered to.Just my humble opinion.

Other posters have pointed out that the info the poster was given over the phone was incorrect. If you are high tier you do get priority boarding , so it is being adhered to.

As somebody else stated if times could be chosen everyone would want 12-1pm, which started this whole thing off.

Years ago when we started with P and O that is when most people used to arrive. If you think the terminals are crowded now you should have seen them then...hundreds upon hundreds of people all trying to board at the same time.

Hello Richard,

Early or later boarding doesn't bother me. As long as we get onboard we are happy. You are right that we shouldn't expect the same facilities as at an airport but there isn't an lot at Southampton to keep passengers entertained while they queue, or there wasn't the last time we were there. If you are driving long distances on the day it isn't easy to arrive at the 'correct' time. If you don't allow enough time you could miss the ship but if you arrive too early then you are hanging around, sometimes without anywhere to sit. I think the staff do their best to board everyone as soon as possible and they will never please everyone whether it is a free for all or timed slot. I think the start of this thread was should higher loyalty tiers be able to board early, or at a time of their choosing. I think if that perk has been offered then it should be adhered to.Just my humble opinion. 🙂

Regarding your last comment. This whole thread has been based on a mistake. As has been said many times higher tier passengers will board early. The OP was given completely wrong information.

It is not a case of should they board early, they do board early. That is it.

Regarding your last comment. This whole thread has been based on a mistake. As has been said many times higher tier passengers will board early. The OP was given completely wrong information.

It is not a case of should they board early, they do board early. That is it.

Will agree with that --- this time last year we were told more than once that those on higher tiers and in suites would be allowed to board before us ....

Has been years and years since we have flown, but would it be the same these days. You can walk around all the duty free shops, in the airport, but if you are flying with in the EU, when you show your flight pass , you are not allowed to purchase said items...

You can purchase toiletries, perfumes, clothing, electronics, wine, basically lots of shopping opportunities for goods that are tax free in a lot of cases. Only smoking materials and spirits cannot be purchased duty free if flying within the EU.

Examples of stores in airports are Dixons, Next, Boots, Boss, Body Shop, Timberland, Pandora and many more.

I hate the new boarding procedure with a consuming passion as I always want to be on board early, or at least at a time that suits me, but I could not care less about lunch.

We sometimes have a coffee, even a paid for one, and maybe even a little something from the afternoon tea menu but being on in time for a full lunch is not an issue.

I keep hoping that Carnival might sell P&O to RCI then I could enjoy anytime boarding plus the wider range of P&O itineraries instead of the limited Celebrity itineraries.

Going by my only two experiences of RCI I sincerely hope not! Aside from a long list of complaints the Solos Meet was in a cocktail bar where, aside from not being hosted so no way of knowing who was solo and who not, I sat in my evening dress (pretty much the only one since formal evenings are non-existent on RCI now) sipping my martini next to a family with a baby in a pushchair and parents and toddler all dressed in jeans! Each to their own but my idea of hell!

On the other hand they have got boarding down to a fine art!

Edited by Host Sharon

Going by my only two experiences of RCI I sincerely hope not! Aside from a long list of complaints the Solos Meet was in a cocktail bar where, aside from not being hosted so no way of knowing who was solo and who not, I sat in my evening dress (pretty much the only one since formal evenings are non-existent on RCI now) sipping my martini next to a family with a baby in a pushchair and parents and toddler all dressed in jeans! Each to their own but my idea of hell!

On the other hand they have got boarding down to a fine art!

Sorry but you are misleading people here. RCI still have a formal dress suggestion. They are not non-existent, they still exist. Whether people adhere to them is another matter, because as stated, it is a 'suggested' dress code not mandatory like on P&O.

And from my experience of formal evenings on RCI (19 sailings and counting) I do not believe you were the only person in a cocktail bar in evening dress. As usual I am suspicious on a P&O board about P&O loyalists trying to 'diss' any other line than P&O. Remember I sailed on P&O and can vouch for the fact that heaven forbid, not everyone adhered to the required P&O formal attire standards.

Sorry but you are misleading people here. RCI still have a formal dress suggestion. They are not non-existent, they still exist. Whether people adhere to them is another matter, because as stated, it is a 'suggested' dress code not mandatory like on P&O.

And from my experience of formal evenings on RCI (19 sailings and counting) I do not believe you were the only person in a cocktail bar in evening dress. As usual I am suspicious on a P&O board about P&O loyalists trying to 'diss' any other line than P&O. Remember I sailed on P&O and can vouch for the fact that heaven forbid, not everyone adhered to the required P&O formal attire standards.

OK, this was four nights on Harmony and there honestly was NOT a formal night, not even a suggested one. Maybe the smaller ships are different but I can only go on my own experience. And my friend and I were the only people in formal clothing - and that was because it was all I had brought, expecting one at least.

As you can see I am not loyal to P&O alone by any means. I just speak as I find.

Edited by Host Sharon

That's a bit harsh DGS, like Pete I also find there are elements on here who display a very narrow minded attitude to their favourite cruise line; even when they have no experience of any other lines they display a completely closed mind to the differing opinions of other cruisers who have wider experience.

Like Pete I also feel that P&O staff are far less friendly and give lower service standards than the same staff on Celebrity, but I attribute this to way they are managed, the senior dining room staff on Celebrity manage by example they regularly clear tables, as a consequence the junior staff follow their example and their orders much faster and better, unfortunately I seldom see senior staff on P&O doing any sort of menial task.

The response to these comments is invariably to point out criticisms of the other lines, even when they have no personal experience of the line. Similarly with boarding, which this thread covers, P&O can do no wrong even when I explain how Celebrity manage to perform much better these closed minds tend to circle the wagons and defend the P&O policy as though it was the Holy Grail.

That being said I disagree with Pete about ditching P&O, but for us that is mainly because we only sail from Southampton and P&O do have by far the widest range of itineraries. But I would like to see P&O open their eyes and start to implement some of the better practices used by other lines, so that we could enjoy our cruising holidays with them even more.

These points are entirely my own and I respect those who have other views, but only if these are backed up with experience and not negativity.

Hi John.

I covered some similar ground in my comment above.

Just to point out though that as someone who cruises with P&O at least once every 12-18 months I do have a little experience with other lines.

What I like about P&O is the fact that it does what it says on the tin and as someone who has a few cruises under his belt with them, and isn't afraid to spend a bob or two, I get 10% that spend plus they honour the Military Discount.

There, not too much negativity there then.

Now I really am off for that beer which will be somewhat more expensive, and a less interesting environment, than if I was on a P&O ship.

Have a good weekend.

What never ceases to amaze me though is why it sometimes seems impossible for some people to exchange differing views without descending into aggressive attacks on those of a different opinion.

And then we wonder why wars start, lol!!!

That's a bit harsh DGS, like Pete I also find there are elements on here who display a very narrow minded attitude to their favourite cruise line; even when they have no experience of any other lines they display a completely closed mind to the differing opinions of other cruisers who have wider experience.

Like Pete I also feel that P&O staff are far less friendly and give lower service standards than the same staff on Celebrity, but I attribute this to way they are managed, the senior dining room staff on Celebrity manage by example they regularly clear tables, as a consequence the junior staff follow their example and their orders much faster and better, unfortunately I seldom see senior staff on P&O doing any sort of menial task.

The response to these comments is invariably to point out criticisms of the other lines, even when they have no personal experience of the line. Similarly with boarding, which this thread covers, P&O can do no wrong even when I explain how Celebrity manage to perform much better these closed minds tend to circle the wagons and defend the P&O policy as though it was the Holy Grail.

That being said I disagree with Pete about ditching P&O, but for us that is mainly because we only sail from Southampton and P&O do have by far the widest range of itineraries. But I would like to see P&O open their eyes and start to implement some of the better practices used by other lines, so that we could enjoy our cruising holidays with them even more.

These points are entirely my own and I respect those who have other views, but only if these are backed up with experience and not negativity.

I don't think my comment was at all harsh. The writer was extremely disrespectful to P&O cruisers.

We are all entitled to an opinion without being ridiculed. Some of yours I agree with and some I don't but that makes neither of us right or wrong.

I don't think my comment was at all harsh. The writer was extremely disrespectful to P&O cruisers.

We are all entitled to an opinion without being ridiculed. Some of yours I agree with and some I don't but that makes neither of us right or wrong.

Like :)

What never ceases to amaze me though is why it sometimes seems impossible for some people to exchange differing views without descending into aggressive attacks on those of a different opinion.

And then we wonder why wars start, lol!!!

I agree

I really object to have been called a bully on here - thank goodness the offending post was removed

Incidentally I have just done the online check in for a Celebrity Cruise in October - they ask us what check in time we want and recommend we pick a time 3 or 4 hours before the ship sails. they will also greet all passengers with a glass of bubbly - its nice to be a valued customer

I agree

I really object to have been called a bully on here - thank goodness the offending post was removed

Incidentally I have just done the online check in for a Celebrity Cruise in October - they ask us what check in time we want and recommend we pick a time 3 or 4 hours before the ship sails. they will also greet all passengers with a glass of bubbly - its nice to be a valued customer

Do most ships not depart around 6pm or later. 3 to 4 hours before is fine. Surely the problem is some want to board about 5 or 6 hours before.

A glass of bubbly on arrival is a really nice touch. You don't get anything like that with P&O, they only give us 10% discount on onboard purchases and a glass of bubbly at a Sailaway.

Do most ships not depart around 6pm or later. 3 to 4 hours before is fine. Surely the problem is some want to board about 5 or 6 hours before.

A glass of bubbly on arrival is a really nice touch. You don't get anything like that with P&O, they only give us 10% discount on onboard purchases and a glass of bubbly at a Sailaway.

I think sailaway is 5pm - anyway we have chosen 12.30 and the key thing is we selected the time to suit our travel

My only experience of the new P&O check in was - slot at 2.30pm on at 4. No Lunch, rush to muster etc

This is actually the first time in 5 years I have not had a P&O cruise booked. I looked at Britannia for October but Eclipse was much better value for money for a longer cruise.

Incidentally another lovely touch about Celebrity is that when you return to the ship on a hot day they set up a stand with cold towels and iced water - plain or flavoured with lemon or lime - just what you need when you are hot and bothered. And in cold climates - like when we were in iceand a small cup of soup or hot chocolate

These gestures don't cost much but help you feel pampered

Incidentally another lovely touch about Celebrity is that when you return to the ship on a hot day they set up a stand with cold towels and iced water - plain or flavoured with lemon or lime - just what you need when you are hot and bothered. And in cold climates - like when we were in iceand a small cup of soup or hot chocolate

These gestures don't cost much but help you feel pampered

To be honest the boarding at ports is one of the very few things I don't like about P&O. The security staff are unnecessarily sullen and unpleasant. I really don't think there is a need for it. I have seen the Celebrity passengers being given cold towels and water etc in the Caribbean and it did make me think about the difference in approach. How are the actual security staff when you board?

BTW the soup and hot chocolate in a cold climate is a clever idea.

To be honest the boarding at ports is one of the very few things I don't like about P&O. The security staff are unnecessarily sullen and unpleasant. I really don't think there is a need for it. I have seen the Celebrity passengers being given cold towels and water etc in the Caribbean and it did make me think about the difference in approach. How are the actual security staff when you board?

Very friendly - they always say Welcome Back and if they are not too busy they will chat to you about what you have done that day - though more often than not they are busy. There are usually plenty of staff on duty so queues move quickly.

We take a sandwich, some fruit and water. works for us :-)

Sorry Jean

When I have spent thousands on a cruise I am not messing about making sandwiches and hoping they stay fresh enough to eat later. I travel by taxi and expect to go straight to the terminal

if P&O (or the people they pay to do it for them) are not organised enough to let us embark and have lunch then in my view they should provide a nice free lunch in the terminal building with seating for all

Soup was on offer when we came back to Azura in Iceland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app