Sindhu

David Owl

Off to the Canaries in a few weeks on Britannia.

I don't eat much spicy food but fancy giving Sindhu a try. However, my wife really is not keen. Does anyone know if there are plain alternatives that she could have, or is it feasible for them to do the meals without any spicy sauces etc.

Thanks

You may be aware but Sindhu is far different from your normal high street curry house. I personally do not find it over spicy and they will make it spicier if you ask. My wife likes it less spicy and that seems to work. However it is the type of food they serve so as far as I am aware there are no "plain" alternatives but you could always ask.

Sindhu is my favourite speciality restaurant and if you do go I am pretty confident you will enjoy it and maybe you wife will as well. Maybe try the tapas lunch time menu usually available on sea days. It is three small plates with some nan bread maybe it would provide enough of a taster to decide

I think it's worth trying as the staff always ask you how spicy you like your food. I like it very spicy and that's what I've always been served, but I spoke to a lady at my MDR table who had gone with a friend. She doesn't like spicy food but said the staff advised her about choices and she had very much enjoyed her meal.

Neither my husband nor I like spicy food - we never have an Indian Takeaway at home. A couple of years ago we were on Azura and decided to try Sindhu as we'd been told it was very different from Takeaways. The waitress helped us choose the least spicy things on the menu. The food was beautifully presented but I'm afraid we didn't enjoy it - nothing wrong with the food it just wasn't our taste.

I think the only way you'll find out if you like it is to try it. No-one else can tell you whether you'll enjoy it or not.

It's your choice of course but if you don't like spicy food I cannot see the point in paying to go to an Indian restaurant, albeit a very up-market one. I think Sindhi is wonderful but I like the spice. I gather Johnny Rockets, on RCI, is a great burger experience but that's not my taste and I wouldn't go there

The lunchtime Nasta menu would give you an idea of the food served. It might be a revelation, you might love it but I suspect not

You do know that you can see the Sindhi menus? Start at How Can We Help You on P&Os homepage and find them from there. That should give you a better idea of whether you could both enjoy. I still suspect not.

If you do give it a try could you come back to this thread and give us a review? It might help other waverers

The menu is quite uninspiring in terms of descriptions of dishes.

I suspect none of it will be very hot, spices will be used, but only chilli is used for heat. Ask for any chilli to be removed and it will be spiced, but not hot.

I know someone who runs a veggie Gujarati restaurant and all his dishes are available without chilli.

Thanks for all your replies.

As I am wanting to try it, and it is one of their lower cost speciality restaurants I have come up with a compromise.

We will go to Sindhu and if my wife doesn't see anything she wants she can sit and wait while I eat and then I'll "buy" her as much as she wants in the buffet later on !!!

I am inclined to agree though that they will probably be happy to adapt their menu as I'm sure this happens fairly regularly.

I'll let you know how we get on.

It all depends on what is at issue here. If spiced foods are the problem, you may struggle to find something to your taste. If hot spices such as chilli are the problem, don't worry. I like food to be quite 'spicy hot' and could not find a spicy hot dish on the menu. What I did find and enjoy, was food that was delicately spiced, a little heat but quite delicious. I am sure some dishes don't even have a little heat as obviously not all spices make food taste hot. It is nothing like you get from your local takeaway and much nicer. Don't go expecting lumps of meat swimming around in indeterminate sauce but do expect expertly spiced rather than hot dishes, well cooked and immaculately presented and served.

Thanks for all your replies.

As I am wanting to try it, and it is one of their lower cost speciality restaurants I have come up with a compromise.

We will go to Sindhu and if my wife doesn't see anything she wants she can sit and wait while I eat and then I'll "buy" her as much as she wants in the buffet later on !!!

I am inclined to agree though that they will probably be happy to adapt their menu as I'm sure this happens fairly regularly.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Yes please do as my DH likes spicy food and I can not tolerate it so it would be good if we could go [emoji4]

On the first full sea day there is often a cooking demonstration in the studio area, were they also show films on Britannia. Outside there will be people from the various speciality restaurants waiting to take passengers reservations.

You could go to this demonstrations see an example of the style of food that Sindhu provide for you, and see if you think you will like it.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

Just came off Ventura and went to Sindu twice and had the signature dish which for the first week had a cod curry and the second week had a salmon curry. This also came with Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Korma. All dishes were medium and the desserts were wonderful. Just thinking about it makes me want to return. There is no need to book before you go. In fact there is a waiter that comes to your table in the restaurant at night, asking if you want to book and also offered a free bottle of wine towards the end of the cruise.

P.S. there is usually a curry on the lunchtime menu in the main restaurant and also in the buffet each day.