The Boat Yard, Barbados?

We are on cruise A630A, Southampton to Barbados with an extra day in port before flying home.

As we have holidayed in Barbados before we're not looking for a trip out anywhere. I was wondering if anyone on here has visited The Boat Yard beach? What did you think of it?

It looks fun!

google boatyard Barbados ,there is a film of the beach & bar & activities,

its a very popular place ,havnt been myself ,but have spoken to people who

have & they really enjoyed it . give it a try enjoy the cruise.

We have called into Barbados three times now on Cruises and have always gone to the Boatyard. It's probably not the best, but it's close to the port, a taxi there is just a few dollars. If my memory is correct it was $15 to get in which included, sunbed, welcome drink and transport back to the port. You can buy lunch there and use the changing facilities. A great place for a day at the beach off a cruise ship.

The Boatyard is a beach bar on Carlisle Bay about a mile from Bridgetown centre. They charge US$15/pp for sunbed, a free drink and return shuttle back to the ship.

Carlisle bay is a great beach, one of the best on Barbados, the sea is normally calm with little waves. Just bout 100 metres off shore you can feed the turtles and they arrange for you to get out very cheaply if you wish. Every hour they do a Ibiza style booze run spraying everyone with hard spirits at the bar area, ideal for the young at heart.

Next to the Boatyard Bar is the bar called Lobsters Alive, equally as good with the advantage of a large TV showing Skysports, cost about the same.

The boatyard is a great fun place, plenty of booze and games on the beach. it's really a magnet for the younger folk, lots of the ships crew go there and have a super time. Being a bit older I'd rather go along the road a bit further to the Coconut Court Hotel, nice wide beach, plenty of sunbeds, super beach 'ranch style' resturant which is very reasonably priced, there is no charge to use the beach although they expect you to buy a drink. So for the cost of getting into the Boatyard you'd get a round trip taxi ride. Also great Italian restaurant opposite, called Mama Mia's, again reasonably priced.

Enjoy

Bal

Cool! Thanks for the replies. I googled it and looked fun. It would also be great to get a last snorkel in before the holiday ends.

I reckon we will give it a whirl. :D

Useless for snorkelling, just sandy bottom.

So right! Boatyard isn't a snorkeling beach.

There are some "swim with the turtles" snorkel trips offered from Boatyard.

Nothing that I would recommend. Your best option is to book a Snorkel Tour with Calabaza or similar. Calabaza book up very quickly, only take 12 people for a 5 hour cruise cost US$110/pp. You need to visit their website for the details, we have been with them and had a fantastic time, you will not get better and will probably be the most memorable trip of your cruise. Whatever you choose have a great time.

Thanks again for the replies.

We have booked a snorkelling trip earlier in the cruise when we call in at Grenada and are considering a couple of others.

Just looking for somewhere cheap an cheerful to mess about for the last day with music, beach, drinks and snacks. If we happen to see a turtle that would be nice.

I will keep in mind the hotel on the beach that was mentioned.:D

We went to The Boatyard when we went to Barbados on Britannia last December.

There were quite a few American students playing drinking games. It may sound awful but was in fact the complete opposite. It was great fun.

Great for swimming, lots of jet ski rides that we had a go of. Drinks reasonably priced as well as food although that was of the fast-food variety which isn't of my usual taste.

Well recommended.

We have booked a snorkelling trip earlier in the cruise when we call in at Grenada and are considering a couple of others.

Just looking for somewhere cheap an cheerful to mess about for the last day with music, beach, drinks and snacks. If we happen to see a turtle that would be nice.

Hi get a taxi from the port and ask for the shower /toilets end of Carlisle beach walk onto the beach there it's quieter and spaced out sun loungers it's owned by a local pastor around the same price as others but much quite right and nicer . There is a bar rum shack called banks just opposite the road with cheap buckets of banks beer and take out food spicy chicken etc really cheap ..while on the beach ask for a tour with nevile his boats called snorkel wid nevile he has a face book and is a amazing man I've snorkled with him over 60 times he's amazing with the turtles he has a face book page really cheap around £10 worth every penny ..Great snorkle just neeci to swim out 2 ship wrecks there you really don't need to do a big organised trip honestly x enjoy I'm there in again for the day ...

I think perhaps that's Harbour Lights at the further end of Carlisle Bay. If you Google it, it seems that it's a lively nightclub at night but I think it's quiet during the day - at least it was when we went. Loungers and umbrellas, decent facilities and bar there. Not as much of a buzz as the Boatyard but nice for anyone who wanted something a bit quieter. We actually walked there from the port but it's a fair step - not so bad first thing when it's not so hot but better to get a taxi back. In fact if it's your last day you will have more restricted time so taxis both ways would be a good plan.

P. S. We once went in the opposite direction from the port past the cricket ground and distillery to Brandon Beach which looked nice but had no facilities like umbrellas that we could see. I'd recommend you head for Carlisle Bay and choose the Boatyard or one of the other beach bars which have been suggested further along.

On the Boatyard site click on Adventure Beach ... in the description of what's offered ....

"Be sure to ask about our turtle and snorkel tour available on select days throughout the year."

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Whatever, Boatyard will provide an entertaining day. ENJOY! :D

LuLu

Thank you for all the replies everyone.

Last year we had a holiday in the Maldives. On a day trip out on a gulet we swam with Whale Sharks and Manta Rays (a-ma-zing!!!) but on the snorkel to see the turtles there was only one spotted, which we missed. We THINK we saw one bob by while having lunch one day.

I had noticed that The Boat Yard offered a trip out to a reef with a chance of seeing turtles included in the price of entry. I found a film of one on youtube. This added to the appeal of some where cheap n cheerful for the last day.

Pretty much agree with everything said.

As far as I know, the Swimming with the Turtles is by a third party and the Boatyard tell anyone who goes on that cruise will be told to leave the Boatyard. I have no idea how they can check but they were very specific about this. That was in January this year.

The food is OK there and not cheap.

However its a great atmosphere and good fun.

I am heading to Barbados in the next few weeks and have been looking at going to the Boatyard for a fun day. But it is confusing! I see so many different prices for different things.

I would like to swim with the turtles (that's number one for me) and spend some time at the beach (not as important). I don't drink so that's not important to me.

Can anyone tell me how much exactly the Boatyard is? Is the swim with turtles included or do you need to find and pay a third party for this?

Thanks!

I am heading to Barbados in the next few weeks and have been looking at going to the Boatyard for a fun day. But it is confusing! I see so many different prices for different things.

I would like to swim with the turtles (that's number one for me) and spend some time at the beach (not as important). I don't drink so that's not important to me.

Can anyone tell me how much exactly the Boatyard is? Is the swim with turtles included or do you need to find and pay a third party for this?

Thanks!

As far as I know, the Swim with the Turtles is by a third party and not by The Boatyard although it does mention trips on their website.

We did the P&O tour which is more expensive but we saw plenty of turtles and one even had a very gentle taste at my wife's toe.

The Boatyard is 15 US dollars each.

Edited by dgs1956

The Boatyard is 15 US dollars each.

Their prices have been increased to US$20/pp.

The food is expensive fast food of very poor quality and taste, often served cold.

Better to go a little further around the bay to Harbour Lights, far superior in every respect.

Their swim with Turtles is a joke, they expect you to swim out 100 metres- avoid.

Their prices have been increased to US$20/pp.

The food is expensive fast food of very poor quality and taste, often served cold.

Better to go a little further around the bay to Harbour Lights, far superior in every respect.

Their swim with Turtles is a joke, they expect you to swim out 100 metres- avoid.

I was trying to be more diplomatic LOL

The food ate The Boatyard is expensive and is very poor.

I was trying to suggest the P&O trip was better but more expensive. You are taken right to where the turtles are and you are guaranteed to see them.

As I remember it from several years ago the music was very loud. We were several beaches down where we rented chairs and had to listen to the music, but at least at a distance it was bearable.

We went to Lobster Alive on our January trip. Great lunch in a relaxed atmosphere. We pre booked as it can get busy. Took taxi from the port about $15 each way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jackieo

think it is going to be one of those personal choice things - we went December last year but they didn't have any sunbeds left so were only charging $15.00 to get in so we walked nearer to town on the same beach. Stayed an hour because it was so windy it was un-pleasant then it rained so saved our money!!

$5 back to the ship sat in the shelter on the balcony but do love Barbados

If we decide not to bother with the beach on departure day and if perhaps it's not so sunny (or too windy as previous poster found), we enjoy strolling into town along the promenade and boardwalk of the Carenage to the Bridge Hotel which is on the waterfront over the other side of the pedestrian bridge. Lovely to sit on the verandah for a drink and last leisurely opportunity to soak up the Caribbean. May not be what the OP is looking for but may be an idea for someone who's just looking to get off the ship for a few hours for a low key focus on the last day or if the weather isn't conducive to going to the beach.

For those travelling back on Friday the Distillery (near the port) and the cricket ground are open for tours if it's not the best weather and you want something to do - never done it ourselves as we generally have Saturday flights and neither are open at the w/e. Sorry to digress a little but talk of the weather not being typical or ideal beach weather just prompted a thought about alternatives should anyone be interested.

Edited by kruzseeka