Britannia Suite Cabin B724 warning of noise!

Emzobath

Hi everyone we are just off Britannia and given this forum has been so useful to me in my cruise research I just wanted to let people know of a noise issue. We stayed in a Suite on Britannia deck 14 cabin B724. It was a lovely aft suite with a big balcony but every night the thumping base noise from the Bands in the Live Lunge could be heard in the cabin. Unfortunate I am recovering from major surgery so wasn't out late (and we are early 40's) so not adverse to going out) but given I was recuperating I wasn't out late. We paid a lot of money for this suite and given it was 6 decks up from the live lounge was not expecting it to be so noisy. I do think P&O should state the noise will be heard in the room before booking. I realise cruises are never quiet but paying £3k plus for no sleep was not good. I am just writing this review to inform others who may book this cabin. We also complained at the time and I have written to P&O so it will be interesting to hear their response.

We had an aft cabin on F deck in April next to the ventilation shaft and were serenaded badly every night from The Live Lounge . Great cabin and balcony I resorted to earplugs.

This is extremely interesting.

We had the same cabin on the cruise to the Med for 12 nights on the 27th June this year and we never heard a thing on any night, and there certainly were bands playing in the Live Lounge every night. The only place we heard them was the Club Dining Restaurant (The Oriental) which is underneath The Live Lounge.

It is a wonderful cabin and, as mentioned, has a huge balcony - one of the best balconies for Suites on any of P&O's ships.

We would not hesitate in having it again.

Doesn't bode well for my aft suite on E deck then

Gmybod,

We had B724 in Nov last year,never once heard any music or noise from anywhere, never left our balcony till 8.30pm to go to dinner because we always had cocktails on the balcony before going go dine,returned to cabin after midnight never heard a sound. Can't say about any noise between 8.30pm -12 30am because we were out of the cabin. Yes we did experience the soot problem but would not imagine much soot if any at all landing on E deck. Look positive and enjoy your cruise. See you on the 7th December.

Pat

Edited by HELEN HENRY

We have stayed on C and E deck aft. Not a suite mind! The noise didn't bother us too much but the soot was a problem especially when the ship had to motor due to delays. The views from the aft are unbelievable leaving port and we found that we got a fair amount of sun. The balconies are slightly larger and otherwise quiet during the day as no passing traffic or lifts. Hope you are feeling better Helen Henry.

We have stayed on C and E deck aft. Not a suite mind! The noise didn't bother us too much but the soot was a problem especially when the ship had to motor due to delays. The views from the aft are unbelievable leaving port and we found that we got a fair amount of sun. The balconies are slightly larger and otherwise quiet during the day as no passing traffic or lifts. Hope you are feeling better Helen Henry.

sapphire4 Thank you for asking about my health,please excuse me but unfortunately I can't put a name or face to sapphire4 avatar please do enlighten me further. Underwent surgery on 3rd June and unfortunately again scheduled later this month. Otherwise I am just fine. However beware what too much sun can do!!!!!!!!!! Booked on Britannia Dec 2016 so a lot to look forward to including wearing my Hugh big hat and sitting under the umbrella in the Caribbean. 🏖🏖🏖

We had aft cabin f729 last year and generally loved it. The only time we heard music was from the Live Lounge late but it wasn't enough to keep us awake at all. It was annoying in port some day however when the silence was shattered by the band rehearsing way too loud and i ended up coming in off the balcony. If we sailed Britannia again we'd be tempted to go a few decks higher.

Hi everyone thanks for the comments, I am recovering well. Just to clarify the noise was heard from approx 21.00 -23.30 ish. I'm still waiting a response from P&O. This is only my second post on Cruise Critic and I genuinely just wanted to make others aware. Maybe the noise levels were different on other cruises and hopefully it may be rectified. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone thanks for the comments, I am recovering well. Just to clarify the noise was heard from approx 21.00 -23.30 ish. I'm still waiting a response from P&O. This is only my second post on Cruise Critic and I genuinely just wanted to make others aware. Maybe the noise levels were different on other cruises and hopefully it may be rectified. Thanks everyone.

Emzobath, glad you are feeling better and quite sure it was with the best intentions that you mentioned the noise level that you experienced. I'm quite sure no one doubted your word. Personally as I previously stated we too have had that cabin but left th cabin at 8.30pm and returned after midnight. So did not doubt what you were stating. We need other cc members like yourself to identify and inform others what may be occurring whilst they out of their cabins. Thank you. Keep well.

Presto2 thank you for your best wishes it is very refreshing and uplifting to know that other cc members take the time to consider others posting. Thank you. I think perhaps we have met on a previous cruise !!!!!!!!!:D

Presto2 thank you for your best wishes it is very refreshing and uplifting to know that other cc members take the time to consider others posting. Thank you. I think perhaps we have met on a previous cruise !!!!!!!!!:D

Now you've got me thinking.....Give me a clue :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't bode well for my aft suite on E deck then

we have got the Himalaya suite E732 on Ventura coming up; I'm a bit worried now that it will be noisy as it's above the Havana nightclub

Edited by topster5

I think that you were a bit unlucky in that you needed to be in your cabin at those times. We are on second sitting so would never be in the cabin so early in the evening.

You clearly would be better in a B deck suite, on the side if you are going to be in the cabin at those time. They will be much quieter

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...

Hi , just thought I would give an update to the issue of noise in this cabin . We have just spent 7 nights in Ellora Suite B724 (suite and aft balcony is amazing)  however  sadly I can confirm the issue with noise has not been resolved :( wish I had read this thread before we booked . The bass from the live lounge started from 11.30am  too   approximately 3.30 most mornings , it vibrates in the room through the walls and the bed ...it was miserable and quite frankly distressing.  We did speak to the managers and the only solution offered was for us to sleep in an inside cabin and later a balcony cabin ...the peace in these were bliss but thank heavens this was an option.  We don’t blame the party goers, the DJ or sound system ........I blame the poor soundproofing of the live lounge and the cabins above it . Never again , and please think twice before booking this cabin if you value your sleep . 

58 minutes ago, Bruce62 said:

Strange as we have not only stayed in B726, but also G733, which is the floor immediately above the Live Lounge, and never heard a thing......

It must have been you making all the noise in the live lounge Bruce....

We had multiple problems with an F deck aft corner suite on Britannia, including noise from the Live Lounge which, as stated previously by another poster, was transmitted up through ventilation shafts. To be fair, it was only a problem when live bands were playing (loud enough that you could hear every song clearly) but OK when it was recorded music. I suspect that those who don’t hear it are up late and retire to their cabins when the live music has ended. We did comment that G deck aft must only be suitable for those who are hard of hearing or don’t go to bed until the early hours!

We were also bothered by soot (which could never be fully removed by the poor cabin steward even after hosing down), vibration when at sea (and the associated rattles in the cabin that it caused) and, worst of all, noise from the plumbing room that was stupidly sited within our suite and serviced several other cabins. 

The sole advantage of the suite was the size of the huge wrap around balcony, particularly when we had pole position for a firework display in Monaco. However, we would never book an aft suite on Britannia again as there were just too many irritants. By contrast, we have had aft corner suites on Arcadia and Ventura, as well as a forward suite on Britannia (twice) and would book any of those again in a heartbeat. 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:02 PM, Selbourne said:

We had multiple problems with an F deck aft corner suite on Britannia, including noise from the Live Lounge which, as stated previously by another poster, was transmitted up through ventilation shafts. To be fair, it was only a problem when live bands were playing (loud enough that you could hear every song clearly) but OK when it was recorded music. I suspect that those who don’t hear it are up late and retire to their cabins when the live music has ended. We did comment that G deck aft must only be suitable for those who are hard of hearing or don’t go to bed until the early hours!

We were also bothered by soot (which could never be fully removed by the poor cabin steward even after hosing down), vibration when at sea (and the associated rattles in the cabin that it caused) and, worst of all, noise from the plumbing room that was stupidly sited within our suite and serviced several other cabins. 

The sole advantage of the suite was the size of the huge wrap around balcony, particularly when we had pole position for a firework display in Monaco. However, we would never book an aft suite on Britannia again as there were just too many irritants. By contrast, we have had aft corner suites on Arcadia and Ventura, as well as a forward suite on Britannia (twice) and would book any of those again in a heartbeat. 

We had an aft on G deck - G733 and didn't hear a thing 🙂

7 hours ago, netchells said:

We had an aft on G deck - G733 and didn't hear a thing 🙂

Very odd isn’t it. I assume that you were in your cabin during live performances? As I said, it was only a problem then, so those who don’t return to their cabin until late wouldn’t notice it, but we tend to go to bed earlier than many. I notice that G733 is on the starboard side whereas we were on the port side. I know that on some of the other P&O ships the noise is only heard on one side. For example, on Azura. If you are directly above the aft lounge on the port side it’s loud whereas if you are on the starboard side you can’t hear it - presumably due to speaker placement. Positioning of ventilation shafts is also a factor. We found that the sound wasn’t coming up through the floor but through a ventilation shaft that was on one side of our suite. The main issue for us was that, large balcony aside, there were just too many negative issues with the aft suite on Britannia whereas with the forward suites we had none of these problems - just a rubbish balcony!