France July 14 Bastille Day

roberts2005

I have been in France the past two years on Bastille Day. In 2013 we were on a Paris to Normandy cruise and happened to be docked in Honfleur on the 14th. We had one of the best views of the fireworks from the sun deck. In 2014 I was on GCT's Italian Rivera coastal cruise and we were anchored in the bay of Bastia, Corsica to again watch the fireworks from the sundeck. Due to our location, these were the best fireworks display I've ever seen. I was in NYC for their fireworks show two week earlier and Corsica's compare with these. After the show we were able to dock in the harbor.

Edited by rogerdawhip

I have been in France the past two years on Bastille Day. In 2013 we were on a Paris to Normandy cruise and happened to be docked in Honfleur on the 14th. We had one of the best views of the fireworks from the sun deck. In 2014 I was on GCT's Italian Rivera coastal cruise and we were anchored in the bay of Bastia, Corsica to again watch the fireworks from the sundeck. Due to our location, these were the best fireworks display I've ever seen. I was in NYC for their fireworks show two week earlier and Corsica's compare with these. After the show we were able to dock in the harbor.

Thank you Hopefully we will be able to see fireworks where we are docked.

In Honfleur was everything shut down?

Just wondering what the river cruises do on such a holiday. Does france shut down? I would assume all the museums and major sites are closed.

Anyone out there ever been in France on the 14th?

Yes the locks shut down on July 14. We were able to get through the locks a day early and were in Paris for Bastille Day. We went on an excursion in the a.m. to the town where Van Gough last lived. The fireworks at the Eiffel Tower were spectacular. We sat on the deck of the ship. There is a huge military parade down the Champs Élysées if that interests you. I imagine the churches never close Montmartre, Notre Dame but you should check

Just wondering what the river cruises do on such a holiday. Does france shut down? I would assume all the museums and major sites are closed.

Anyone out there ever been in France on the 14th?

We were on a river cruise in Paris on Bastille Day last year, we were to have a city tour in the morning, but that didn't happen until the afternoon as most of the city streets were closed for the major military parade...major shops didn't open till after the parade either (this may have only been in areas away from the Champs Elysees, I'm not sure what was open there). Also some of the metro stations were closed, but there were signs everywhere to say which ones they were going to be and the times they'd be closed.

We didn't go to the parade, but away from the main street areas it was very quiet, hubby and I took the time to walk along the banks of the river, over to Statue de la Liberte and through the parks, took loads of photos with virtually no one around, which is definitely something that doesn't happen in Paris often...plus we watched the military flyover from vantage points along the river, it was quite spectacular.

Where we were docked (near pont Mirabeau) we had a fantastic view of the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower, we sat on the top deck with glasses of wine, along with quite a few of our fellow cruisers. We had been on the optional tour to Moulin Rouge , so missed a few minutes of the start of the fireworks, it started around 11pm ( its daylight saving time , so not dark until late) , although we could hear them from the bus coming back to the ship. It was a magnificent firework show and lasted well over half an hour. We probably would have been back to the ship in plenty of time if it hadn't been for the all the traffic and people in the city.

There was a fantastic atmosphere in the city around Bastille Day, the French really do know how to do it....I would definitely go back again at this time.

Deb

We were on a Uniworld cruise in Paris on Bastille Day last year. It was supposed to be the day our ship sailed out of Paris but we actually wound up being stuck in Paris an extra day, we were supposed to be sailing but the locks were closed so there we sat. It was nice seeing the fireworks over the Eiffel Tower but being a day behind meant we did everything on our itinerary a day later causing everyone to miss out on being in Paris on our last day- a day when everything was open & causing us to remain there on a day when the streets were packed & the places we wanted to see were closed. Also, we all found out about this change in schedule from our cruise director at dinner on the first night. The way Uniworld sprung that on everyone made for a roomful of unhappy people. Luckily the rest of the trip was great but we still felt that Uniworld handled the situation wrong.

We were on a Uniworld cruise in Paris on Bastille Day last year. It was supposed to be the day our ship sailed out of Paris but we actually wound up being stuck in Paris an extra day, we were supposed to be sailing but the locks were closed so there we sat. It was nice seeing the fireworks over the Eiffel Tower but being a day behind meant we did everything on our itinerary a day later causing everyone to miss out on being in Paris on our last day- a day when everything was open & causing us to remain there on a day when the streets were packed & the places we wanted to see were closed. Also, we all found out about this change in schedule from our cruise director at dinner on the first night. The way Uniworld sprung that on everyone made for a roomful of unhappy people. Luckily the rest of the trip was great but we still felt that Uniworld handled the situation wrong.

This is our concern. The 14th is day two of our 8 day cruise. We are scheduled to depart the night of the 14th. Which I guess won't happen if the locks are closed

Hi roberts2005,

Try calling your river cruise line & ask them directly. When we booked w/ Uniworld we knew it was Bastille Day but we'd already been in France for Bastille Day (2x, both on land tours & also for the Tour de France & never had any problems) so we did ask them if it would be an issue & were told we would be out on the river by then, sailing & so we would be fine. Surprise!

At least you know what to expect & won't be surprised when you get there. Good luck!