Very Early Flight into AKL, How to spend time before Boarding

This can't be the first time someone has asked.

My flight gets into Auckland at 6:00 AM on the day of the cruise.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do before boarding the cruise perhaps around noon or so.

We will have all our cruise luggage with us.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

This can't be the first time someone has asked.

My flight gets into Auckland at 6:00 AM on the day of the cruise.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do before boarding the cruise perhaps around noon or so.

We will have all our cruise luggage with us.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Find a hotel where you can rent a day room. Then have a shower , change clothes and get a bite to eat as well.

If you have cruiseline transfers they some times have a room reserved where there is coffee and a place just to sit and rest.

Edited by Kamloops50

This from tripadvisor 2 years ago

3. Re: Need Luggage Storage 1 Day near Auckland Ferry Terminal

08 February 2013, 17:06

This is directly from an email I received from the i-site at Princes Wharf today:

We have luggage storage at our Princess Wharf i-Site between 8.30am & 5pm. The rates are $5 per bag for 4 hours & $10 for the day to 5pm. We don’t take bookings for this service.

If this doesn’t suit the Britomart Travel Centre in nearby Queen St has 24 hr storage at $10 per bag for small bags & $15 for a large one up to 80x40x90cms. This is on the train level & there is a lift & escalator.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g255106-i404-k6120044-Need_Luggage_Storage_1_Day_near_Auckland_Ferry_Terminal-Auckland_North_Island.html

Not many will recommend flying in the day of your cruise. If for no other reason, you will not much enjoy the first day or so of your cruise as you will be totally out of sync with local time. Then there is lost luggage, mechanical issues, etc.

Boarding will start on your cruise about noon. You have to claim bags, go through immigration, and transport to the terminal. That doesn't get you there much before 9am. Breakfast in the airport can take 60 minutes.

If you go the day room direction, be aware there is a Hilton right on the pier with the ship dock.

It sounds like your cruise is departing the day you arrive. I would go to the wharf and put your main luggage in. This can usually be done from around 7.30 - 8am. Keeping just your valuables etc. you could go on a sightseeing tour. There is a double decker red bus that departs from near where the ship docks. You can have a relaxing narrated tour of the city and end up back near the ship after a couple of hours. This is a hop-on/hop-off bus so you might like to have a closer look at a couple of the sights. Cost is NZ$40 per person. If you want to go on this tour, when you go back out to the street after leaving the wharf, turn to the left and walk a couple of hundred metres to where the bus waits. There will probably be someone handing out flyers advertising the service.

It sounds like your cruise is departing the day you arrive. I would go to the wharf and put your main luggage in. This can usually be done from around 7.30 - 8am. Keeping just your valuables etc. you could go on a sightseeing tour. There is a double decker red bus that departs from near where the ship docks. You can have a relaxing narrated tour of the city and end up back near the ship after a couple of hours. This is a hop-on/hop-off bus so you might like to have a closer look at a couple of the sights. Cost is NZ$40 per person. If you want to go on this tour, when you go back out to the street after leaving the wharf, turn to the left and walk a couple of hundred metres to where the bus waits. There will probably be someone handing out flyers advertising the service.

If you are using the airport shuttle bus from the airport it will drop you off almost across the road from Princes Wharf where your ship will be berthed. Anticipate to arrive downtown Auckland around 8.00 am after clearing all the customs formalities etc and catching the bus. Catching a taxi will be an awful lot more expensive and probably not a great deal quicker. Upon arriving down town go and drop your bags off with the porters at the ship. NOte no tipping is required. Tipping is not a custom we encourage downunder. You will probably be able to board around 11.00am so I would go and have a breakfast at one of the many cafes downtown and perhaps a ferry ride over to Devonport to kill some time. There are many more cafes and small boutique shops in Devonport. If you are keen to get onboard early then I wouldn't go too far away from the terminal.

• 3 weeks later...

would definitely recommend a quick trip over to Devonport for some morning tea, only a 20 mins ferry ride each way and you can see your cruise ship the entire time. a good 2nd hand bookshop there and heaps of cafes!