Cabins now ready on embarkation

Actually, on our last cruise we were allotted 3;30pm and we were in an outside. Before that we were allotted 1.30 and we were in an inside. I think it's random.

Fair point ---- if I am honest I think we're just sulking ;):) We want to be on that ship as soon as we can. Just love it .... :D:D

3 weeks tonight we are in Southampton at the Holiday Inn --------- yipeeeeeeeeeeee

Whatever happens re embarkation we will survive and get on with it. Prefer to be there too early and take the chance to get on early. Our fault if we have to sit and wait. :)

That's better :-) Have a lovely time. I have to wait until September.

We always have a fab time - just can not wait for the moment we step foot on Britannia and that first sailaway. Its been a tough year for us - at one point we thought we may need to cancel - so this cruise will be even more special ;-)

If we have to wait to board we will be like little meerkats at the dock side, with eyes like the cat from Shrek, looking longingly at our ship ...................:):):D:D.

Actually, on our last cruise we were allotted 3;30pm and we were in an outside. Before that we were allotted 1.30 and we were in an inside. I think it's random.

I still think it can be to do with which deck you are on. On our last two cruises we were allocated 15.30 - superior deluxe on Azura. Friends on C deck (balcony) were 14.30 and another on B deck (balcony) 13.30. None of us were high tier loyalty.

Oh for goodness sake, half a day? it's about 2 hours at worst. What does it matter what someone has paid whether they get on the ship before you? So someone gets on board one hour ahead of you - does it really matter? Sheesh! I don't care when I arrive at 1.30 whether someone has 2 more hours on the ship than I do. Can't believe this.

I think it's each to their own really. We like setting off early just in case as you never know what can happen. As a matter of fact my car (which is 2 1/2 years old) broke down a few weeks ago and needs a new engine and is still in the garage now. That could have happened on our way to Southampton in August.

As I have already said we have 2 children (7 and 2) and when we get there would like to be on the ship as soon as possible. Granted we like getting on early but try entertaining a 2 year old in Ocean Terminal when there is nothing in there.

Whilst I can understand some of the concerns expressed on this thread, (and I have read it all!) it is obvious - to me at any rate - that no one will be given an embarkation time after the ship is due to depart - so the ships "normal" departure time of 1700 is going to be later in these instances. With so many big ships in Southampton these days they cannot all depart at the same time. And maybe, just maybe , the Port of Southampton authority is calling some of the logistical shots. People constantly moan about congestion in Southampton - maybe staggering the times a bit more, and if people adhere a little closer to their allotted times, then congestion will ease. If all the passengers for all 4 big ships arrive at 12 noon to embark "because they want to get on the ship" Southampton will grind to a halt. Think about it.

If this continues, then I think p & o and the other cruise lines with big ships will have no option but to make passengers adhere to allotted check in time - how they allocate them is for another thread!

Muster drill will not take place before everyone is on board but will be before the ship departs. The actual time for this will be announced on board.

Come on some of you, be a bit more relaxed! It's your holiday....

People come from all over the country from as far as Scotland to get to Southampton. On the day I travel as I've already mentioned there are 4 ships leaving (about 15,000 passengers) and Southampton have their first home game of the season (about 32,000 fans). All in all about 47,000 people trying to get to their relevant place by about 4 ish.

Knowing all this I would allow about 2 hours extra if I were travelling down on the day (which I'm not). It's impossible to time it close to their allotted boarding time when the city is so busy.

Southampton is poor for congestion and with all the will in the world the port doesn't control the fans of Southampton and Everton who play that day. So calling the logistical shots would be difficult for the port authority.

We too have a 3 hour journey (from Shropshire) and always build in 2 hours contingency. We have sailed from Southampton 3 times and every time used most of that contingency in either hold-ups en route or severe congestion in Southampton. The one time that we arrived well ahead of our check in time (which was the Grand Event and they said they would not wait for late arrivals, so with a check in time of 3.30 we allowed double contingency and arrived at 1.00). We were prepared for a wait as again they were claiming strict adherence to boarding times, but were on board within half an hour.

We embark tomorrow and have been given 3 pm. We also received an email this week that told us to stick to our time but it also says...........

We are however, pleased to confirm that members of the Caribbean, Baltic and Ligurian tiers of our Peninsular Club and our Suite guests have the benefit of priority or early embarkation and are welcome to check-in from when the desk opens. They will then be boarded at the earliest opportunity.

All other aspects of the embarkation process remain unchanged. All facilities will be available and lunch will be served throughout the afternoon

Pam

We are just thinking of trying P&O for the first time. We normally cruise with Princess and cabins are always ready when you board no matter what the time. Although they ask you to come at a specified time to try and stagger people, if your early they do their best to accommodate you and your on board fairly soon. We are now Platinum level and this does allow us to have earlier boarding times but even from day one we have never had a problem. I didnt realise that cabins were not necessarily available straight away on P&O until this post, we have cruised with Celebrity a couple of times and had to wait for our cabins (only a short time) but it is a bit of a pain lugging hand luggage etc around with you - perhaps we have just been spoilt.

We only have what should be a 2 hour car drive to Southampton but we do have to travel on the M25 - it once took us 6 and a half hours to get home because of an accident !!!! As I say fortunately we were on our way home but it has made us nervous and we normally arrive early ha ha

We are just thinking of trying P&O for the first time. We normally cruise with Princess and cabins are always ready when you board no matter what the time. Although they ask you to come at a specified time to try and stagger people, if your early they do their best to accommodate you and your on board fairly soon. We are now Platinum level and this does allow us to have earlier boarding times but even from day one we have never had a problem. I didnt realise that cabins were not necessarily available straight away on P&O until this post, we have cruised with Celebrity a couple of times and had to wait for our cabins (only a short time) but it is a bit of a pain lugging hand luggage etc around with you - perhaps we have just been spoilt.

We only have what should be a 2 hour car drive to Southampton but we do have to travel on the M25 - it once took us 6 and a half hours to get home because of an accident !!!! As I say fortunately we were on our way home but it has made us nervous and we normally arrive early ha ha

P&O cabins used to ready at 2pm, now I think they try and get them ready for 1pm. Like you I was thrown on my first RCI cruise recently. On P&O and all other lines I have been on, although the cabin may not be ready I have been able to dump hand luggage; RCI close and lock the fire-proof doors to all accommodation so you are stuck with it till the announcement!

Presto - I totally understand your frustration at such a late boarding time. I often travel with my friend who lives just across the water from Southampton. We watch our ship arrive in the morning and from then on it feels like we are marking time and can't concentrate on anything. I'd rather be in the terminal and wait than sit at home pacing!

Presto - I am beginning to understand better your frustration . I guess you could compare it (sort of...) to booking a "package" holiday, with flight that is advertised as (say) 14 nights.

So you book it.

But nearer the time you find that your flight from the UK arrives at say 9pm...with a short hotel transfer you finally arrive at your destination around 11pm, and so your first night is spent in total exhaustion from the journey.

And then coming home you find that you have an early morning flight at 8am - which means departing your hotel at 5.30 am....so the previous night you have not gone out as you have to be up so early.....so yes you have had 14 nights but have "lost" a half day unpacking at the start and a half day packing at the end. So have had effectively 12 "days" holiday .

It's not quite as bad on a cruise but if you are used to getting on board at lunchtime and having a half day to explore but suddenly find you haven't got that I can understand you having a sulk :):)

I do hope you have a lovely cruise anyway, whatever time you eventually get on board. I think if I were you, I would still try and sneak on a bit earlier. After all you didn't get their latest email .......did you...:D

I understand the frustration of anyone who has been told they can't get on the ship until 1600. No sooner will you be arriving at your cabin and you'll be hurried off to the muster drill. No time to settle in before the ship sails!

I dare say I wouldn't be too keen either, but all we can do is to try and work around it and not let it impact too much on the holiday.

We have stayed at the Holiday inn many time before our cruises. It is about 15 mins max by taxi to any of the terminals. Yet, we have seen people taking a taxi at 10.30am to go to the terminal. In fact one couple told us there check in time was 2 pm, but they used the excuse they wanted to get on the ship and explore. They had a taxi for 11am.

I don't understand why people are so keen to get on board early, surly it's not for a few free drinks and lunch in the MDR or to explore. You have the best part of a week/two weeks to explore the ship and to eat/drink as much as you like.

If more and more people keep finding excuses for arriving 2 or 3 hours before the time shown on the ticket Pando will soon be forced to introduce strict boarding times.

The start of our holiday comes when we leave the house and get on the train to Southampton.

Are the people who want to get on as soon as they can the same people who want to be first off on disembarkation day? That's what I find hard to fathom, I want a relaxed end to my trip, just like I want a relaxed start!

I don't doubt that people are keen to get on board, but actually the holiday doesn't start until you sail. So it's a bit like checking into a hotel, you often can't check in until 2 pm or even 4pm. As for disembarkation, can't see the point of not getting off early. Don't like the sitting around with all your hand luggage as you have to vacate your cabin at 8 or 8.30.

Edited by jeanlyon

For me its the anticipation of the cruise that's the most enjoyable aspect plus the childish excitement of spotting the ship for the first time as we drive along the road into town from the motorway.

That first hour or so exploring a new ship or re-acquainting oneself with an old friend before the remainder of the passengers have boarded is normally the highlight of my holiday. That plus the anticipation of visiting a previously unvisited port.

The mere fact that I can amble down to Southampton hand over my car keys and be on board in 30 minutes or less is the selling factor for me. If the boarding process were ever to become as tedious and prolonged as boarding an aeroplane then I am afraid that I would return to flying.

I've read all of this with interest and whilst I completely understand people wanting to board as soon as they can. I find people's attitude about times extremely bizarre and rather selfish.

What makes my situation any different to yours say because you have children means your 'entitled' to board as soon as you arrive as opposed to your allocated time. That's just one example by the way. I've got a 2 year old so I can't hang around waiting but you can as you don't have a child. :confused:

I get all the leaving early etc in relation to traffic etc but to just deliberately turn up hours beforehand is selfish and like I said how do P and O decide who deserves to get on first as we all can't get on at the same time if we all choose to ignore the times they're advising. If everyone with kids say, turn up at the same time (all outwith allocated times), who gets preferential treatment? Me, you? If you and your kids are made to wait till last say. Yes kids are going to be extremely fraught but whose fault is that? Certainly not P and O!

I think P and O do a sterling job of at both ends and will never please everyone but for many on this thread it's coming across extremely selfish and as long as I'm alright jack, I don't care if I've nicked your time for getting on.

Yes have to agree with you. We have always arrived earlier than our given time, but not usually until about 1 or 1.30. We have a 3 hour drive from Devon, so always set off to arrive around then. If we then had to wait it wouldn't be that bad.

Our next cruise is departing from Mayflower terminal.

This is one of my favourites. You zigzag to the check desk, go through security and then sit in a departure lounge till called.

Although the last time from here we didn't arrive till late on so we had our choice of check in desks and waltzed straight through security, no waiting in the lounge but straight on to the ship.

We weren't quite the last to board a coach pulled up just after us.

I don't doubt that people are keen to get on board, but actually the holiday doesn't start until you sail. So it's a bit like checking into a hotel, you often can't check in until 2 pm or even 4pm. As for disembarkation, can't see the point of not getting off early. Don't like the sitting around with all your hand luggage as you have to vacate your cabin at 8 or 8.30.

At a hotel everyone can check in 'from' a certain time - usually 2pm. In most hotels we have checked in way before the given time, not had the room but been able to make use of the facilities.

I don't understand the comment that the holiday starts when you set sail. Is this in print somewhere? The buffet is available when you board etc etc etc. as are the desks for passengers to sign up for restaurants and spa deals etc. Staff are there to welcome you - how can you say that the holiday doesn't start until you set sail. The cabins are available way before you sail and you go to Muster Drill ?????????????????????????

Will shut up now ---- this seems to be like one of those Marmite threads.

You want to get on early or you don't and neither 'side' can understand why the other person prefers their chosen view.

We'll still just turn up and if they don't let us on they don't. Their choice. We'll just get all excited in the terminal..... Meerkat stance and Shrek cat eyes ;)

Edited by Presto2

I've read all of this with interest and whilst I completely understand people wanting to board as soon as they can. I find people's attitude about times extremely bizarre and rather selfish.

What makes my situation any different to yours say because you have children means your 'entitled' to board as soon as you arrive as opposed to your allocated time. That's just one example by the way. I've got a 2 year old so I can't hang around waiting but you can as you don't have a child. :confused:

I get all the leaving early etc in relation to traffic etc but to just deliberately turn up hours beforehand is selfish and like I said how do P and O decide who deserves to get on first as we all can't get on at the same time if we all choose to ignore the times they're advising. If everyone with kids say, turn up at the same time (all outwith allocated times), who gets preferential treatment? Me, you? If you and your kids are made to wait till last say. Yes kids are going to be extremely fraught but whose fault is that? Certainly not P and O!

I think P and O do a sterling job of at both ends and will never please everyone but for many on this thread it's coming across extremely selfish and as long as I'm alright jack, I don't care if I've nicked your time for getting on.

You will find that there will be lots of people given early times who can't make it and VV. It doesn't seem to have caused problems in the past and works well. The ship is the biggest 'terminal' they have so makes sense to get people onboard to spend in my opinion.

I agree that P&O do a fabulous job - have never been disappointed. Celebrity are the same re boarding times. They give you one and everyone turns up when it is best for them. No problems.

It will be interesting to see if the 'new change' re boarding times has come from P&O or just us CC folk creating a storm in a teacup.

I think the higher the deck you are, the earlier you can board, that certainly seemed to be the case on Britannia two weeks ago. For the first time ever, our cases got to the cabin before us. We were on A deck and had 13:00, mind you it was 14:45 before we got to the cabin. They also have to feed in the coaches, some of whom parked up 10 miles from port in line with their instructions.