Gift for room steward

volmoma

These workers are often times supporting families back home the best way they can, I think a monetary gift is the most appreciated token of good service that can be offered.

But don't they have to purchase personal items??? As I said we ALWAYS leave an additional tip. I was thinking of gum, blank note cards, body lotion, all occasion cards with stamps included etc. just a thought

We ALWAYS leave our room steward an additional tip. But this time In addition I wanted to leave a goodie bag of things that they would have to spend their own $$$ for. Any suggestions

Cash. Nothing more. Anything else ends up in the trash after they thank you for it.

But don't they have to purchase personal items??? As I said we ALWAYS leave an additional tip. I was thinking of gum, blank note cards, body lotion, all occasion cards with stamps included etc. just a thought

All garbage to them.

Yes, but you can't know what they would like. Many cultures don't chew gum. Body lotion is highly personal choice. Blank note cards? What for?

It is a lovely idea, but as others will point out that it really isn't practical...

As thoughtful as you are trying to be, as others have mentioned without knowing what they like, stuff could end up in the trash. As for cards & stamps, pretty sure they would use e-mail to stay in touch with their family back home.

Remember that they have very little room in their cabins for lots of "stuff". Best to just give them extra cash.

have been a member of this forum for quite a few years now, and this topic seem to come up every few months. And every time, without fail, the vast majority of responses are that cash is really the only option you know for sure they will want and appreciate, so I say stick with that.

The only thing that I've heard that might have practical value are calling cards, but even they may have limited application (the crewmember's family might not have a phone). I would give the extra tip and maybe a note to the crewmember's boss about how great a job they did.

The only thing that I've heard that might have practical value are calling cards, but even they may have limited application (the crewmember's family might not have a phone). I would give the extra tip and maybe a note to the crewmember's boss about how great a job they did.

That suggestion is very 90's. Skype and even FaceTime have replaced phone calls. Or any free internet service.

We ALWAYS leave our room steward an additional tip. But this time In addition I wanted to leave a goodie bag of things that they would have to spend their own $$$ for. Any suggestions

Another thought. Maybe he enjoys shopping as a diversion to his everyday job. If so many are from poor countries, they might be awed at the choices they can pick from on an off duty shore day. At some ports the first place they head to is Walmart:D

Another thought. Maybe he enjoys shopping as a diversion to his everyday job. If so many are from poor countries, they might be awed at the choices they can pick from on an off duty shore day. At some ports the first place they head to is Walmart:D

Funny, all roads/oceans led to WALLY WORLD..

Cash!!! All the items you mentioned are easily acquired with cash where they can pick out what they want.

I agree that cash is the way to go.

One cruise, we also had a leftover bag of googly eyes from a craft thing at home that we brought and gave to our steward. It was about the size of a deck of cards and had a couple hundred "eyes" in it. For the remainder of our cruise, there were several times when we'd hear comments from other guests in the hallways "It's got eyes!" and "It's looking at me!" ... they were of course referring to their towel animals who had gained the gift of sight! LOL!!:D

Our room steward said he very much enjoyed using those and it was a nice change from the pieces of paper they usually use for eyes. If we have any leftover again prior to our next cruise, I will again bring them with me. :)

When this subject came up a while back I asked some one who should know the answer. They replied cash toward the end of the cruise or on the last day. They also said one of the best things you can do is mention them by name when you fill out your post cruise survey. The comments you make in those surveys go a long way towards promotion.

They also mentioned in some cultures giving a tip too early in the cruise would be an insult. It could be construed as having to bribe them to do their job.

I agree that cash is the best tip to give. A note to the hotel director is also a great way to commend your room steward and waitstaff.

I also carry a supply of very small pins ( Canadian Maple Leaf as I Am Canadian ) and give them out. Most are very happy to be given one and many pin it on right away or show me next time I see them that they are proud to be wearing it. I have seen others that I may not have had interaction with eyeing the pins when I am giving it out and they are very appreciative when I offer them one too.

I agree that cash is the best tip to give. A note to the hotel director is also a great way to commend your room steward and waitstaff.

I also carry a supply of very small pins ( Canadian Maple Leaf as I Am Canadian ) and give them out. Most are very happy to be given one and many pin it on right away or show me next time I see them that they are proud to be wearing it. I have seen others that I may not have had interaction with eyeing the pins when I am giving it out and they are very appreciative when I offer them one too.

Neat idea!!