Passport not received, not arrived

kolakola

Hello,

I applied for US Passport on June 13th, for regular routine processing. I am traveling on 31st of July but I still have not recieved my passport. Please what would you recommend? I called and they said pay $60 expedited or wait. Do you think I should wait a little more before paying? What would be the absolute last date for me to wait if I need a passport on july 31st? Can i wait until 29th and then pay 60$ fee? I'm not sure what to do because it's been 6 weeks but they say still processing. I look forward to any advice or help. It's a family of 6 so that many passports would cost me so much if I had to pay for expedited, i am so worried.

Thank you so much.

There was another thread about passports in the last couple of days. Posters who had sent their applications off on June were reportedly receiving their passports today, July 23. Whether did or not, I don't know.

July 31 is just a week or so away. I wouldn't wait much past tomorrow before I decided to expedite.

Remember if you are a US citizen and have a passport and birth certificate for a closed loop cruise you wouldn't need a passport.

Good luck, I hope you receive your passport in plenty of time.

Here is a link to that thread about passports http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2237344

Edited by luvscruising2007

Hello luvscruising2007 and cruiserbruce. Thank you for your replies.

I'm new to this great informative forum, but please do you know how I can look at the other passport thread you mentioned. *i just saw you included a link! Thank you*

I did check the status online but it only says processing. I'm not sure, maybe it is not updated?

Just another note, my neighbor's came in four weeks and she applied just a day before I did. I wish mine came too, I think today I'll have to pay expedite.

Edited by kolakola

If you can still pay the fee, do it.

If you asked before you applied I would have said expedite it given your travel plans.

If you can't expedite it for whatever reason call your congressman's office. This is something they can help with.

Keith

Check the passport website. You might be able to do some sort of emergency walk through perhaps? I'm not sure the process, though. I do know you can make an appointment and walk it through so that your passport is available for pick up the very next day for travel that is coming up in less than X weeks. It used to be less than six weeks, but I don't know the current criteria. They should have a phone number for you to call to set it up. Good luck!

What is your itinerary? If you are on a closed loop cruise and you are US citizen you can cruise with your birth certificate and government issued photo ID (unless you are sailing on one of the premium lines that require everyone to have a passport). If you have an extra copy of your birth certificate then I personally wouldn't pay an expedite fee at this point since there is no guarantee that even then you would receive it on time. If you don't have a copy of your birth certificate I would recommend obtaining one in the time remaining. (And even if you do decide to pay the expedite fee I would recommend obtaining one just in case.)

There is a phone number on the passport website 1-877-487-2778. When I called it had been a little over 4 weeks and had not received mine. They were very helpful and said it had been processed and there were no documented problems. I ended up receiving it a few days later.

There is a phone number on the passport website 1-877-487-2778. When I called it had been a little over 4 weeks and had not received mine. They were very helpful and said it had been processed and there were no documented problems. I ended up receiving it a few days later.

You were very lucky. Dealing with the passport folks when there is a problem is usually a much more painful and frustrating experience.

To the op, the passport agency is very backed up right now. Even expedited passports are taking up to 4 weeks. I know because I'm going through this right now too.

Hello luvscruising2007 and cruiserbruce. Thank you for your replies.

I'm new to this great informative forum, but please do you know how I can look at the other passport thread you mentioned. *i just saw you included a link! Thank you*

I did check the status online but it only says processing. I'm not sure, maybe it is not updated?

Just another note, my neighbor's came in four weeks and she applied just a day before I did. I wish mine came too, I think today I'll have to pay expedite.

I would make a phone call if you are able to. My parents applied for passports and my father's status still said "processing" AFTER he had received his passport. :confused:

Call your congressman. He/she has someone on staff who is tasked with troubleshooting this problem.

You are paying for it thru your taxes.

It has worked very well for others and may for you, too.

Do it now. :D

If the OP sent in her birth certificate in order to obtain a passport, she may not have a birth certificate with her to take on the trip.

I agree with calling her Congressman's office. Their staff can sometimes move mountains.

Roz

As others have said call the congressman's office. This can really help and many on these boards have reported good luck with this. But If you do have the option to expedite still, I would, because you sail in a week.

possibly too late for the OP

but info for others

I got an e-mail notice that ours were in the mail and rec'd 'em two days later.

for the next two weeks online status said 'processing'

Another piece of advice for future cruisers - start the passport process early. Summer is peak season, and applying in June for a July sailing is cutting it way too close. If something extra is needed or there are questions, your goose is cooked.

Roz

Another piece of advice for future cruisers - start the passport process early. Summer is peak season, and applying in June for a July sailing is cutting it way too close. If something extra is needed or there are questions, your goose is cooked.

Roz

I'll add for those who are in need of birth certificates or marriage licenses, it is a good idea to get extra copies. One copy can go into a bank box and the other in a special folder kept in a safe place at home and taken out to get a passport or something.

This is especially true for people who move away from their birth town.

Edited by Philob

If the OP sent in her birth certificate in order to obtain a passport, she may not have a birth certificate with her to take on the trip.

I agree with calling her Congressman's office. Their staff can sometimes move mountains.

Roz

This is so true! One of your US Senators or your US Congressman can be a world of help.

My nephew was an intern for a US Senator and his total time was spent assisting people with passport issues.

LuLu

Roz

This is so true. The passport office in my town said to allow at the absolute minimum 3 months. We did ours at the 5 month mark. I mean we knew that was plenty of time, but for us we just wanted to make sure we got them.

She said she was seeing people apply with 1-2 months before their travel and all of those people she was recommending they expedite the process.

Thank you so much to all your replies!

I want to let you know that today I checked the online status and saw that 4 out of 6 passports are mailed and they arrive Monday through USPS from Arkansas. I called for other two that are still processing and the agency took my travel dates and they will make sure to have them mailed soon, and updated me that the status for the remaining 2 was processing to be shipped, so I hope the last two will be shipped by Monday so that they can arrive here by Friday.

I was surprised that I live in MA, and the 4 passports that have been mailed were mailed from the agency office in Arkansas, and not MA since there's an agency in Boston. Does anyone know how they decide where these passports get mailed or processed from? Just curious.

Thank you so much! And i wish that all other people here will get their passports since I know that it is a pain and a lot of stress when you don't know if they'll arrive in time. For me it took exactly 6 weeks for them to be shipped, so all process should take 7 total weeks.

Happy Cruising

Thank you so much to all your replies!

I want to let you know that today I checked the online status and saw that 4 out of 6 passports are mailed and they arrive Monday through USPS from Arkansas. I called for other two that are still processing and the agency took my travel dates and they will make sure to have them mailed soon, and updated me that the status for the remaining 2 was processing to be shipped, so I hope the last two will be shipped by Monday so that they can arrive here by Friday.

I was surprised that I live in MA, and the 4 passports that have been mailed were mailed from the agency office in Arkansas, and not MA since there's an agency in Boston. Does anyone know how they decide where these passports get mailed or processed from? Just curious.

Thank you so much! And i wish that all other people here will get their passports since I know that it is a pain and a lot of stress when you don't know if they'll arrive in time. For me it took exactly 6 weeks for them to be shipped, so all process should take 7 total weeks.

Happy Cruising

I don't know how it's decided but ours were sent to our passport processing agency that's 18 miles from us and we got them back very quickly. The only reason that it's a pain is because it's a busy travel time of year, normally they get processed well within the 4-6 week time frame unless there are issues that need to be resolved. (And if more people got passports it would just slow the process more;)).

Yes, it is very true that its a busy time.

I hope the remaning 2 will come soon but even if I have to pay expedite, it's better having to pay for just 2 passports than all 6.

Do passport agencies work on Saturdays? When I check online it doesn't really say but it says appointments from Mon-Fri, so maybe not.

Thanks