Princess elite considering Alaska on NCL

DRS/NC

I've cruised to Alaska w/Princess 2x & loved it. Now I've seen a 10-day cruise on NCL, Seattle to Vancouver that visits the usual 4 (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Victoria) and Sitka, Icy Strait Pt., Glacier Bay.

The price (thru an on-line site that I've used previously) is a good bit lower than the Princess 7-day Seattle RT, esp. for a solo passenger.

What are the pluses/minuses of NCL as compared to Princess?

I don't want to post this question on either the Princess or NCL forum. I want/hope for a broader range of responses.

Thanks!

This is a hard one to even begin with. I've done numerous cruises on both lines and frankly, I think Princess and NCL are a world apart.

First, the good. That's a really nice itinerary and as I'm sure you know, itinerary is key in Alaska. However, don't let that low price fool you. NCL is the King of nickle and dime, so those costs will be made up on board, I guarantee it. One example is the fact NCL charges $7.95 for room service. Another is the bizarre ambiance of some circus clown voice screaming bingo, bingo, bingo over the ships PA system while cruising such a beautiful part of the world.

So for me, it would be a matter of weighing out the itinerary vs the bargain basement of cruise lines. who knows? Maybe you'll love it. There are plenty of folks out there who love NCL.

The fact that you have Elite status on Princess should have no impact on your decision to try and cruise on other lines. While the perks with frequent cruiser programs can be nice, one should be cognizant that this is just a good marketing gimmick to keep you away from competitors. As to whether you will like NCL, one has to try it to find the answer. Plenty of folks love NCL and there are plenty that do not! But is is the same with Princess, Celebrity, etc. Having cruised on 14 different lines (and over 60 different vessels) over more then forty years we can say that there are pros and cons to each cruise line (and specific ships within the cruise lines). One facet of NCL that gets rave reviews are the "Haven Suites" and related services which is essentially a ship within a ship. For those willing to pay the big bucks for Haven Suites the experience seems to be nearly universally positive. But for those in the normal cabins the line gets mixed reviews....just like most other lines.

Hank

We haven't sailed on NCL for several years. A friend who joined us on a HAL cruise does sail on NCL frequently. She admits it's not as nice as HAL, but she's getting to cruise for free because of some affiliation she has.

We've cruised Princess much more often than NCL purely because of dates/routes that work better. We would cruise NCL in preference to Princess all the time if we could work it - not that Princess sucks, just that the differences are mostly in NCLs favour with what we want to get out of a cruise. Choice of food options and significantly better entertainment are the main items for us.

On the Pro-Princess side, main dining menus are better than NCL (but with so many alternate options, we rarely have to use NCL main dining); classier looking ships (sometimes the decor in NCL does get a bit wearing - do chairs really NEED to be bright purple?); and a little less loud about the nickel&diming (stupid little stalls blocking walkways through public areas selling utter crap happen more often on Princess, but at least they don't make announcements about it!)

That particular 10-day cruise we've done and almost did again this year it was so good. Annoying work timing prevented us - we will definitely be back on it again soon (or perhaps even on the September reverse version if we can rearrange a few things).

I have done over 25 Princess cruises, and did a short Carnival cruise with family last summer.

It was "okay", but I sure missed my Princess Elite perks, as Princess has me thoroughly spoiled in so many ways!!! It's unlikely that I would try any other cruise line again.

We've cruised Princess much more often than NCL purely because of dates/routes that work better. We would cruise NCL in preference to Princess all the time if we could work it - not that Princess sucks, just that the differences are mostly in NCLs favour with what we want to get out of a cruise. Choice of food options and significantly better entertainment are the main items for us.

On the Pro-Princess side, main dining menus are better than NCL (but with so many alternate options, we rarely have to use NCL main dining); classier looking ships (sometimes the decor in NCL does get a bit wearing - do chairs really NEED to be bright purple?); and a little less loud about the nickel&diming (stupid little stalls blocking walkways through public areas selling utter crap happen more often on Princess, but at least they don't make announcements about it!)

+1, They are more similiar than different.

I go where the deals are but if given the choice I would choose NCL over Princess for most cruises because I find the staff generally more friendly and helpful/accomondating. On cruises with a lot of sea days I would choose Princess as I like MUTTS.

"Nickle & dime" doesn't bother me as I like the lower fares and just paying for what I want. I generally use the ship as a floating hotel and like itineraries with many ports.

I always laugh when I see people claiming that NCL nickel and dimes their guests. Basically, you pay for what you want and you don't pay for what you don't want. There is good banquet style included food in the MDR's and the buffet and other free venues. If you want something else, you can choose to pay for it or not. No one is forcing you to pay extra. We come out the same or less than we pay on other lines in terms of our onboard spending.

I've been on 4 NCL cruises so far and never heard anyone yelling "Bingo, Bingo, Bingo!" anywhere onboard - although I do avoid the Bingo games! LOL! I think that if you are alright with not having fixed dining, then you might enjoy NCL. We also love never having to dress up - which is wonderful, especially when you have been on a physically taxing excursion all day. We like not having to dine with strangers and we like the suites on NCL best of all the different lines we've been on.

I've cruised to Alaska w/Princess 2x & loved it. Now I've seen a 10-day cruise on NCL, Seattle to Vancouver that visits the usual 4 (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Victoria) and Sitka, Icy Strait Pt., Glacier Bay.

The price (thru an on-line site that I've used previously) is a good bit lower than the Princess 7-day Seattle RT, esp. for a solo passenger.

What are the pluses/minuses of NCL as compared to Princess?

I don't want to post this question on either the Princess or NCL forum. I want/hope for a broader range of responses.

Wow. I'm very hard pressed to find a scenario I'd book NCL over Princess, but that might just be one. That's a great cruise! I think you should go for it. Personally, I'm not a fan of NCL because my worst cruise experiences have been on NCL ships. Just don't go on board with unrealistic expectations, and don't let anyone tell you NCL doesn't nickel and dime more than the others. They absolutely do.

Wow. I'm very hard pressed to find a scenario I'd book NCL over Princess, but that might just be one. That's a great cruise! I think you should go for it. Personally, I'm not a fan of NCL because my worst cruise experiences have been on NCL ships. Just don't go on board with unrealistic expectations, and don't let anyone tell you NCL doesn't nickel and dime more than the others. They absolutely do.

Other than the new room service fee, (which sucks), what does NCL charge for that outer cruise lines do not?

Other than the new room service fee, (which sucks), what does NCL charge for that outer cruise lines do not?

The room service fee is a big one in my opinion. Additionally, their daily service charge (gratuities) is higher than any other major cruise line, and on no other cruise line have I felt it as necessary to book the fee restaurants. The MDR has gotten too casual in my opinion. One more thing I've noticed is their aggressiveness with with sales pitches. Before anyone says it, I know the difference between options and mandates but in my experience, I've never felt a cruise line try to squeeze every penny out of my pockets like NCL does.

Is this your first time? Normally I recommend one way to o from Alaska since price is actually cheaper or competitive even though flying into one city and out of different. I am elite on NCL and Princess platinum - like Princess better (but better perks with NCL although gratuities just went to $13.95)- For Alaska hip preference is not enough to avoid NCL - in fact I will do Alaska tour through Canada with HAL in two weeks and am sailing back on the SNCL Sun. The 10 day NCL repositioning leaving on Sep 19 has spectacular price. The 21stfor the Sun is overpriced. If you are looking at the 19th I say - "Go for it" Do you fly in and out of Seattle. Usually works better. You can get to Seattle from Canada Place pier by shuttle for about $55 or take Boltbus or Greyhound or Train - first two are under $20 and train is about $45. Great way to enjoy an extra travel day.

The room service fee is a big one in my opinion. Additionally, their daily service charge (gratuities) is higher than any other major cruise line, and on no other cruise line have I felt it as necessary to book the fee restaurants. The MDR has gotten too casual in my opinion. One more thing I've noticed is their aggressiveness with with sales pitches. Before anyone says it, I know the difference between options and mandates but in my experience, I've never felt a cruise line try to squeeze every penny out of my pockets like NCL does.

I don't understand how the MDR being too casual (in your opinion) has anything to do with nickel and dining.

Yes they charge for Specialty restaurants but so does every other mainstream cruise line.

And no one is stopping you from dressing up for the MDR if that's what floats your boat.

I don't understand how the MDR being too casual (in your opinion) has anything to do with nickel and dining.

Yes they charge for Specialty restaurants but so does every other mainstream cruise line.

And no one is stopping you from dressing up for the MDR if that's what floats your boat.

Yeah, I know. That's your opinion and obviously you don't see it because it doesn't bother you. I don't agree with you, and I am not a fan of NCL's ala cart model.

I enjoy the various tributes of both lines. That said, if I were going as the OP to southeastern Alaska, it really doesn't make much difference, but if I were going on a Gulf of Alaska one way, with a land tour, then I'd definitely choose Princess or HAL, as those two "own Alaska", with the most tour options, hotels, bus tours, railcars, and other infrastructure in interior Alaska....

My first choice would be one of the smaller HAL ships, as they offer the best sightseeing opportunities on a scenic, port-intensive itinerary....