Sailaway at 8PM - What to do with luggage?

dandee2

Hi there,

We are booked for Jan 2016 on the Celebrity Summit. Ship is leaving SJ on a Saturday at 8PM. Wea re arriving on the Friday. What are we supposed to do with our luggage at the hotel between check-out at noon and going to the port on Saturday?

Will most hotel keep our luggage in a day room and let us enjoy the hotel pool, etc for most of the afternoon?.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

We are booked for Jan 2016 on the Celebrity Summit. Ship is leaving SJ on a Saturday at 8PM. Wea re arriving on the Friday. What are we supposed to do with our luggage at the hotel between check-out at noon and going to the port on Saturday?

Will most hotel keep our luggage in a day room and let us enjoy the hotel pool, etc for most of the afternoon?.

Thanks in advance.

Two options:

1. Leave it with the bellman at the hotel, they will usually keep it for you

or

2. Take it to the ship. Just because sail away is not until 8:00 does not mean that you cannot board around noon.

It all depends on where your hotel is located? If it is near the beaches or airport, then very inconvenient to go back to get it.

Going to drop it off at the ship (Pan Am pier) also is a lousy choice, because it is not near Old San Juan and the sights.

You could go into Old San Juan, drop luggage off at Barrachina restaurant (free service) tour around and pick it up and grab a cab to your ship.

http://www.barrachina.com/

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Can you please tell us which hotel you are staying at?

Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated.

We are thinking of staying at the Sheraton at the port.

dandee2

In that case it makes the most sense to let the bellman store your luggage for you, until you are ready to take a taxi to your ship.

Celebrity Summit sails from the Pan American pier across the harbour, not the Old San Juan Pier, across the street from the hotel.

I have sailed from San Juan at least 6 times....going again in November:D

I always board the ship between 11-12.....you can always do that and

if you want to go back in San Juan, you can.....everyone is different:)

Once I board the ship, I like to stay on board;)

I have sailed from San Juan at least 6 times....going again in November:D

I always board the ship between 11-12.....you can always do that and

if you want to go back in San Juan, you can.....everyone is different:)

Once I board the ship, I like to stay on board;)

If you are sailing on the Celebrity Summit, what you suggesting makes no sense. The OP is staying at the Sheraton in Old San Juan. So why go to the Pan American pier to board the ship, then go all the way back to Old San Juan to tour around.

This would only make sense if you are sailing Carnival from the OSJ pier.

If you are sailing on the Celebrity Summit, what you suggesting makes no sense. The OP is staying at the Sheraton in Old San Juan. So why go to the Pan American pier to board the ship, then go all the way back to Old San Juan to tour around.

This would only make sense if you are sailing Carnival from the OSJ pier.

Well, sorry you think it makes no sense. I know people who have done

it...so that is why I made the suggestion......but yes, if they want to stay at their

hotel all day? That is their choice too:).....

Edited by Lois R

Well, sorry you think it makes no sense. I know people who have done

it...so that is why I made the suggestion......but yes, if they want to stay at their

hotel all day? That is their choice too:).....

I am sorry, however, if you had read the whole thread. It was suggested not just by me, but others, that the OP leave their luggage with the bellman at the hotel. They will store it until they pick it up later in the day to go to their ship.

No one suggested that they stay at the hotel with their luggage.

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

I dont know many hotels that will not store your luggage for you and because of so many cruise custmers i am sure every hotel will store your luggage for you in San Juan. Old San Juan is great take your time leaving and enjoy walking around, there is so much to experience before boarding your ship.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It looks like the Sheraton is already all booked up so we will be looking at other lodger in SJ.

I was surprised to learned we could board the ship in early afternoon for a sailing that is schedule for 8PM. if that is the case, that's not a problem as we can leave our luggage at the pier and come back later. Thanks a lot

dandee2

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It looks like the Sheraton is already all booked up so we will be looking at other lodger in SJ.

I was surprised to learned we could board the ship in early afternoon for a sailing that is schedule for 8PM. if that is the case, that's not a problem as we can leave our luggage at the pier and come back later. Thanks a lot

dandee2

Very true, but remember that your pier is not in Old San Juan, but on the other side of the Bay.

Have a great cruise.

There is a restaurant in Old San Juan called Barrachina that will store your luggage for free. They're also reportedly the "birthplace of the piña colada" so it could be a good excuse to stop by. If you plan to wander around old San Juan before boarding, leaving luggage at Barrachina is a good option. It's free, but they take tips.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

dandee2

Hi dandee, I have sailed from San Juan many times and am usually

on board before the noon hour:)....it should only take you about

15 minutes by cab to get back to Old San Juan since Summit sails

from the Pan American Pier.

dandee2

If you are trying to book the Sheraton from their site it will show not available if you are looking to book only 1 night. Some of the other sites like Hotels and similar will often have the Sheraton available for a 1 night stay. It seems that the Sheraton usually only accepts 2 or more night stays if booking directly.

Hi dandee, I have sailed from San Juan many times and am usually

on board before the noon hour:)....it should only take you about

15 minutes by cab to get back to Old San Juan since Summit sails

from the Pan American Pier.

This is true but keep in mind that cabs seem to be about $20-$25 each way so you can either take 2 cabs by going to Old San Juan first and dropping the bags at Barrachina restaurant and then heading to the ship, or you can take 3 cabs doing it the way you're suggesting (drop bags at pier, go back to old San Juan, then back to the ship). $20 isn't much in the scheme of vacation but to me it seems like $20 wasted.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

• 1 month later...

No one suggested that they stay at the hotel with their luggage.

Actually, the OP did.

"Will most hotel keep our luggage in a day room and let us enjoy the hotel pool, etc for most of the afternoon?."

We're slowly planning our cruise in December 2016, and how much time we get to spend in SJ before and after. We're lucky in that we will likely have been there for a few days and will be staying there a few days after, so we won't feel like we're missing SJ if we get on the ship early and stay there. But if we do get on the ship early then feel like going elsewhere, the total of $60ish (for cabs) to have our bags settled, to have seen our room, perhaps have a bite of "included" food, and then go *do what we want to do* for a couple more hours will be OK. We all spend/waste our money in different ways, don't we. :)

dandee2

Uh, I wouldn't plan on dropping luggage off then leaving again. On both the Summit and the Solstice people tried and it was a huge issue. I don't remember the Summit now, but on the Solstice in May it was staged so you were kinda stuck and had to board if you dropped off luggage. I know one couple wanted to leave and they were given back their bags to take with them.

Your recommended boarding time is around 3pm but you can board earlier.

If you stay in Old San Juan, leave your bags at your hotel and walk around then head to the ship. You'll lose 1-2 hours trying to get to the ship to drop off luggage plus spend $50 in cabs, IF they let you leave your bags.

Uh, I wouldn't plan on dropping luggage off then leaving again. On both the Summit and the Solstice people tried and it was a huge issue. I don't remember the Summit now, but on the Solstice in May it was staged so you were kinda stuck and had to board if you dropped off luggage. I know one couple wanted to leave and they were given back their bags to take with them.

Your recommended boarding time is around 3pm but you can board earlier.

If you stay in Old San Juan, leave your bags at your hotel and walk around then head to the ship. You'll lose 1-2 hours trying to get to the ship to drop off luggage plus spend $50 in cabs, IF they let you leave your bags.

Solstice sails from Seattle in May....she does Alaska.......I was on

her in May. I don't think they have the same boarding procedures

in San Juan as in Seattle......I have sailed from San Juan on Summit

several times over the years and lots of people check in and go back

out to sightsee in San Juan.