Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

BTW, did she mention the dress code in Luminae?

I would assume that both Blu and Luminae fall into the Specialty Restaurant category that she mentioned.

And I do think her comments change things - she stated what the dress code is and I believe that she may be unaware that it is not being enforced - so if enough people complain about that she might address it more vigorously.

Edited by Jane2357

This thread makes me realize even more that my favorite cruise ship is the Paul Gauguin. No formal nights! Nice and laid back in French Polynesia. The day my food tastes bad as a result of someone not wearing a suit I will change my attitude about formal nights. I will be skipping formal nights on my upcoming Celebrity cruise - hmmm maybe I will go one night and wear something that will make it to this thread immediately!

I would assume that both Blu and Luminae fall into the Specialty Restaurant category that she mentioned.

And I do think her comments change things - she stated what the dress code is and I believe that she may be unaware that it is not being enforced - so if enough people complain about that she might address it more vigorously.

One wonders whether Celebrity gets more complaints from a failure to enforce the code or more complaints from those who wish Celebrity would do away with the code.

I honestly think the cruise lines are trying to avoid the subject of formal nights. They profess to have a dress code and formal nights but then they don't enforce the codes and the formal nights are more of a 'dress up or whatever night'. This allows them to cater to those who like to dress up by pretending to have dress codes and formal nights while simultaneously saying to those who don't like to dress up 'don't worry, we really don't mean it when we say we have a dress code'.

Officially anyway, Celebrity is intent on keeping Formal nights.

From the Live Chat today:

When asked the reply was:

Yes, "formal night" is formal night and "business casual" is not appropriate unless dining in a specialty restaurant or Oceanview Cafe.

One wonders whether Celebrity gets more complaints from a failure to enforce the code or more complaints from those who wish Celebrity would do away with the code.

I honestly think the cruise lines are trying to avoid the subject of formal nights. They profess to have a dress code and formal nights but then they don't enforce the codes and the formal nights are more of a 'dress up or whatever night'. This allows them to cater to those who like to dress up by pretending to have dress codes and formal nights while simultaneously saying to those who don't like to dress up 'don't worry, we really don't mean it when we say we have a dress code'.

The one constant is the CC cocktail hour. Shorts? No admittance. Period.

She clearly wasn't trying to avoid any such thing. Someone asked and she answered in the affirmative - Formal means formal and if you chose not to there are other options for you. That should end the discussion.

No one really cares what YOU wear on YOUR vacation. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the dress code policy. It's a virtue some were taught growing up. :rolleyes:

But it is all about me me me ME and respect for others is seen as old fashioned. Unfortunately not just on CC either

What Americans consider formal is not necessarily the same as what an African, an Asian, or a Scandinavian consider formal.

I'm getting a dress made by a designer who occasionally creates dresses for female ministers who go to dinners with the Danish queen. They are definitely formal enough for that.

They may still seem casual for people outside my country.

But Celebrity list what THEY consider formal, and thats what counts

I wouldn't get so excited about her comments. They really don't change anything. No one on this thread has been debating what the official dress code is. What has been discussed is the difference between the written official dress code and the unwritten, unofficial, and actually enforced dress code. She said nothing that would change a thing. Now, had she said something about sending a sternly worded email on dress code enforcement to all ships at sea, that would have meant something.

I do not see why a printed copy of these words would prove any more useful in convincing ship board personnel to enforce the code than a copy of the written dress code. Has that worked in the past?

BTW, did she mention the dress code in Luminae?

In my experience the great majority of cruisers do as requested. Maybe your experience is different.

In my experience the great majority of cruisers do as requested. Maybe your experience is different.

That is also my experience on my cruises, my last cruise to Bermuda Wine-o looked great in his tux, I did not wear a tux but chose a jacket and tie for dinner, we both were within dress code. There are options for those who wish to dress and those who do not but most follow the dress code.

Well Ive just gone back the last ten pages or so and still none the wiser :confused: Due to go on our first cruise on the eclipse next year, and to be honest was looking forward to the formal evening to experience it. Some might say it's nothing special but until we try how are going to know ? Now I wont know if I'm going to be over dressed or under dressed :eek:

Well Ive just gone back the last ten pages or so and still none the wiser :confused: Due to go on our first cruise on the eclipse next year, and to be honest was looking forward to the formal evening to experience it. Some might say it's nothing special but until we try how are going to know ? Now I wont know if I'm going to be over dressed or under dressed :eek:

I have no experience (newbie), but as far as I can recon you can dress as fancy as you please. There will be others just as formal. And maybe some less formal, but in my opinion: Go for it, if you enjoy it!!

(I have second fitting on my new dress on Tuesday - YAY!)

The only guidance you need concerning MDR dress guidelines you will find on Celebrity's web site or their brochures . If you follow that for casual and formal you will be just fine.

Hi, firstly on any celebrity cruise I doubt very much you would ever feel over dress as on every cruise there will be plenty of fellow cruisers dressed up on formal nights...

Secondly I see your from the UK so if your on a cruise out of Southampton you will find more people are dressed up on formal nights as cruisers from the UK do seem to dress up more Vs a Caribbean cruises... I guess it's a British thing!

Either way hope you enjoy your cruise... I've been on the eclipse 3 times and it's a great ship [emoji16]

Don't believe the gainsayers DW loves Formal Night.

As a soldiers wife we would dress 2/3 times a year, on a cruise I pull out all the stops so does hubby, then I go back to my medical uniform for the rest of the year, same old same old, relish the opportunity whilst you can, my cruise isn't till 2017 but I'm planning the formalwear a

Ready![emoji3]

Just back today from Celebrity Summit Bermuda cruise. The dress was all over the map on both casual and formal nights. I asked the MDR front desk/reservationist about the ultra casual dress I was seeing since it did not conform to the signs posted. Saara indicated that they (dont know if it is sip or Celebrity wide) was trying out a more relaxed dress code but it wasnt posted yet because too many people were complaining about not being able to wear jeans in the dining room. I saw t-shirts and shorts in the dining room by adults (not many but enough) as well many nights. Percentage-wise, I would say about 5-10% were wearing shorts or jeans at dinner. It was so odd as I expected that on NCL (as I had experienced it 6 months ago on Breakaway) but not on Celebrity (my first time on that line).

percentage-wise, I would say about 5-10% were wearing shorts or jeans at dinner.

Not trying to start trouble - honest! But I thought jeans were OK in the MDR on non-formal nights, provided they weren't torn, faded, had holes, etc.

Caveat: first-time cruiser on the 9th August Summit sailing, bringing a mentally disabled brother that lives in jeans. :(

Thx... --bruce T.

I have no experience (newbie), but as far as I can recon you can dress as fancy as you please. There will be others just as formal. And maybe some less formal, but in my opinion: Go for it, if you enjoy it!!

(I have second fitting on my new dress on Tuesday - YAY!)

Don't worry about what the others are wearing. Wear what you want to wear, and enjoy. Never lower your standards to fit the standards of others. My tux will be there, and I will enjoy wearing it. Styles come and go, but class never changes.