Question about "Elegant" Night

Decali

I've been lucky enough to have been on a lot of cruises in my life starting in 1976 when pretty much every night was formal night. These days I don't like to drag along the old suit bag and pretty much have a been there/done that attitude about the formal night thing but I do understand and respect those evenings.

With that all said, is it considered bad form to go to the public areas on the formal nights without formal dress? I'm not talking about a football jersey and paint stained pants. Just the polo and slacks thing. No way would I go into the dining room dressed like that but I like to people watch all of the formal folks from a distance. Last couple of cruises I've gotten some real attitude from people about being in the common areas dressed casually and I'm wondering if maybe I'm just oblivious.

I've worn polos and khakis/slacks on formal nights, and other times I've worn a suit and within minutes of being done with dinner been back in my room changing into shorts and a t-shirt to go to the piano bar.

If anyone is concerned about it they can mind their own business, so long as you meet the dress code for dinner in the dining room or go to the lido buffet.

I usually wear a suite and tie and my wife enjoys dressing up but that's just our preference. I've noticed a variety of dress options over the years, such as polo shirts and slacks, long sleeve shirt, tie, and slacks, and once in awhile jeans and long sleeve/short sleeve shirts.

On one of our Caribbean cruises a couple was dressed in formal wear. He was in a tux and she had a long gown. They looked great but I don't recall seeing anyone else dressed up that much.

I've been lucky enough to have been on a lot of cruises in my life starting in 1976 when pretty much every night was formal night. These days I don't like to drag along the old suit bag and pretty much have a been there/done that attitude about the formal night thing but I do understand and respect those evenings.

With that all said, is it considered bad form to go to the public areas on the formal nights without formal dress? I'm not talking about a football jersey and paint stained pants. Just the polo and slacks thing. No way would I go into the dining room dressed like that but I like to people watch all of the formal folks from a distance. Last couple of cruises I've gotten some real attitude from people about being in the common areas dressed casually and I'm wondering if maybe I'm just oblivious.

Things have soooooooooooooo changed! You'll be amazed what is totally OK now for elegant nights. :)

We always have early dining and once we are finished, we go back to the room and get in our comfortable clothes to finish the evening. We may have gotten looks too, but I just chalk it up to people "people watching" and don't let it bother me.

We started out years ago doing the whole 9 yards. Then as time has passed and less people are dressing formal and it really is a pain, we have slacked off. The last time I wore a formal gown, my husband and I weren't on the same page. He had on a sports jacket, tie and khaki pants, which is totally acceptable but I had on a "very" formal gown. The pics look ridiculous. I did get a lot of compliments and people said I had the best dress on the whole ship.Then when I toned it down to either just a dressy top with a long skirt or a sundress, he brought a dressy suit. Like others when we really dressed up we were out of the clothes as soon as we got back to the room. Waste of time and luggage space. Now he will wear a nice shirt, MAYBE a tie and slacks, and me nice top with pants. Maybe a sundress with a shrug to cover bare shoulders. No one really cares. I know I never pay any attention to what others have on. The ones that do nitpick about it, have nothing better to do. I do think shorts and ball caps are pretty out there, but have only seen posts about them, never noticed, myself. And I am talking about elegant night, not just regular MDR dining. Men, according to Carnival's rule of thumb, can wear walking length shorts and polos on regular nights. Just my 2 cents, wear what you want and are comfortable in.;)

I wouldn't see any issue with that at all! Many people DO go into the MDR dressed like that on 'Elegant night' and not just into public areas.

It's not like you'd be in board shorts and a tank top or something.

I think a polo and some slacks would be more than appropriate and shouldn't be an issue :)

Polo shirt and khaki or black dress pants are what DH typically wears on elegant night. I probably couldn't get him to wear a button down and tie if I tried.

I absolute love the fact that cruising has become as informal as many of our lives are, now. No longer are we forced into "dressing to impress" but are able to be comfortable and enjoy our vacation without all the trappings of a yesterday that no longer exists.

I think it is a really good thing what Carnival is doing and it is so much easier to pack for a trip. Women, for a very long time have been able to get away with slacks and drip dry dresses....took a while for men to be allowed to catch up and to dress on vacation exactly like they dress in "normal" life.

I absolute love the fact that cruising has become as informal as many of our lives are, now. No longer are we forced into "dressing to impress" but are able to be comfortable and enjoy our vacation without all the trappings of a yesterday that no longer exists.

I think it is a really good thing what Carnival is doing and it is so much easier to pack for a trip. Women, for a very long time have been able to get away with slacks and drip dry dresses....took a while for men to be allowed to catch up and to dress on vacation exactly like they dress in "normal" life.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!

There has never been any suggestion that Guests dress elegantly outside of the MDR.

I've heard that other lines do.

HAL and Cunard ask that you stay dressed up in public areas on formal nights. HAL normally enforces the coat and/or tie for formal nights for men. Other nights slacks and a nice shirt worked.

I'm not sure what Cunard still does but when we sailed on them back in 2008 most men wore tuxes on both formal nights and a coat and tie the rest of the evenings.

There are folks that don't "do" dress-up ... but the folks that book HAL pretty much know what to expect. The dining room even has some "loaner" jackets.

Women are expected to dress for dinner in a manner that goes along with the men's expectations :)

Edited by summersigh