Still another Regal/Royal center stairway query...

pthjudy

We've been on Royal and Regal, and used the "center stairs" for muster drill on one occasion. NO BIG DEAL!

Come ON, people! We just came off the Oasis of the Seas. Almost twice the passengers as Royal and Regal. Much bigger ship. Guess what: NO CENTER STAIRS!!

I fail to see the problem. Really!

Ahh, sanity. Thank you for rearing your lovely head..

• 9 months later...
I just checked the official Majestic deck plans and there are no center stairs beyond Promenade deck. :(

I would not count on the plans being accurate for those stairs.

Since Princess used either Royal or Regal plans to start with, they may only have concentrated on the different venues, no on stairways.

Remember that the Grand also has no center public stairway above deck 7, but the Grand plans in the Cruise Atlas continue to show these stairs as if they exist for passengers to use.

They also seemed to have a mind of their own as on a number of occasions they would go right by the floor I was on.

Bob

The elevators on most ships (really anywhere where there are multiple lifts like on a ship) are computer controlled. Meaning, when you press the "up" button, the computer looks to see where all the elevators are currently assigned and then assigns the next best available lift. So sometimes an elevator will pass you right by because another one has already been programmed to stop for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been on Royal and Regal, and used the "center stairs" for muster drill on one occasion. NO BIG DEAL!

Come ON, people! We just came off the Oasis of the Seas. Almost twice the passengers as Royal and Regal. Much bigger ship. Guess what: NO CENTER STAIRS!!

I fail to see the problem. Really!

It is a perennial Princess gripe that has been going on since these ships were built...they love to complain.....;)

With how often people posted about it, I expected it to drive me nuts on the Royal. It only even registered a couple times to me - and I'm sailing on the Royal again because I loved it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During our cruise on the Regal Princess, we had a mid-ship cabin and not having a central staircase was not a problem. We do like to use the stairs when they are available.

The responses to this topic (repeated in several threads) are mostly speculation. Let's just wait a month and get a report after the dry dock. I'll be able to see for myself on October 22! We sailed on the Regal last year. We usually like to take the stairs, especially for just a couple of flights. The lack of center stairs was a bit of a nuisance, because no stairs = more people using elevators = longer waits for elevators, but it did not stop us from booking the Royal.

• 1 month later...
The responses to this topic (repeated in several threads) are mostly speculation. Let's just wait a month and get a report after the dry dock. I'll be able to see for myself on October 22! We sailed on the Regal last year. We usually like to take the stairs, especially for just a couple of flights. The lack of center stairs was a bit of a nuisance, because no stairs = more people using elevators = longer waits for elevators, but it did not stop us from booking the Royal.

Waiting for your report! Just did the BVE on Regal today and noted the lack of central stairs. Taking the stairs regularly is a big part of how DW and I avoid the 'cruise weight gain' -- although walking a quarter mile to the fore or aft stairs would certainly add even more exercise ;)

Oh my, now what will people complain about? LOL

Right on. Since they made the stairway available to passengers, created a side isle to the Princess Theatre and an aft stairway there is always the location of the toilet paper holder in the cabin WC along with the size of the balconies to complain about.

No matter to me or my DW. We love both the Royal Class ships as you can see from our signature and are looking forward to our next voyage on the Royal - even if the TP holder is the wrong place in the tiny WC of a cabin with a small balcony. ;-)

Stairs, open or not I would still like them to fix the elevator call buttons to link them all together. It would speed up the system tremendously not having them stop at every floor just because people push buttons for both banks and they don't cancel out after an initial stop. :(

It's a total waste of everyone's time & ships power.

I don't believe I have ever weighed-in on a "what will they have to complain about now" comment, and anyone who has been around here long enough knows that for me personally the Royal-class ships are about as perfect as it gets.

And even with the recent alternations and additions to Royal Princess she still lacks a few things her younger sister has, among them an aft wading pool, and I have still never heard if Royal Princess had the changes done to Princess Live! (aft access and corridor window) that were implemented on Regal Princess. And with Majestic Princess getting a fully covered/enclosed adult retreat pool, it goes to show there is still room for improvement in this class of ship.

But I can still see why Grand-class loyalists defend the features present on the earlier Princess Cruises ships that are absent on the fleet's flagships.

Let's start with a functional wrap-around promenade deck. I almost never used it, and to some it's wasted space, but a lot of people enjoy a quiet stroll along the sheltered deck watching and listening to the ocean (while avoiding joggers lol ;)). And then there's the larger and extended balconies, LOTS of them. Eveywhere. Next are the multiple separated pools and aft tiered decks. I could go on and on.

Sure the Royal-class have balconies, they are small, but they ARE usable despite the insertion by some that they are merely French Balconies (which they are not). And yes, the Royal-class has a Promenade Deck, with some beautiful outside sitting areas. And no joggers to interrupt your reading or view.

I personally thought the Grand-class (specifically Ruby Princess) felt claustrophobic and crowded, with the worst buffet set-up I have ever seen, and that ugly outdoor carpeting around the pool decks reminded me of a 1960's Howard Johnson's hotel. But the ship's interiors were beautiful in an old-world sort of way. The Royal-class are stunning, elegant, modern, and much more open, with more combined options for dining and entertainment than what the Grand-class have to offer.

Again, I absolutely LOVE the Royal-class. I'd live the rest of my life on one if I ever win the lottery. There is still room for improvement in these ships. They are not perfect. But in my book they are close enough.

To each his/her own.

:D