Have to cancel... airfare is a nightmare!!

Last Salmon Man

Howdy folks!

Thought we found the perfect cruise for the family, but doesn’t look like it is going to work out. Eastern Caribbean, on the Breeze, sails March 26th, 2016. We fell in love with ship and ports, but when it came time to book airfare we were brought back to reality! We will be flying out of SLC, can’t find anything that works for less than $900 each. Family of four, can’t justify spending more on airfare than the cruise. Luckily, booked with the $50 deposit special, so I am only invested $200.

Question, we have found another cruise that we would like to switch to. Sails out of Port Canaveral in May, and flights can be found for around $300 per person. Our PVP said the deposit is non refundable, what are the chances they allow us to use the deposit towards another cruise?

Thanks in advance.

Howdy folks!

Thought we found the perfect cruise for the family, but doesn’t look like it is going to work out. Eastern Caribbean, on the Breeze, sails March 26th, 2016. We fell in love with ship and ports, but when it came time to book airfare we were brought back to reality! We will be flying out of SLC, can’t find anything that works for less than $900 each. Family of four, can’t justify spending more on airfare than the cruise. Luckily, booked with the $50 deposit special, so I am only invested $200.

Question, we have found another cruise that we would like to switch to. Sails out of Port Canaveral in May, and flights can be found for around $300 per person. Our PVP said the deposit is non refundable, what are the chances they allow us to use the deposit towards another cruise?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on how you booked most likely and whether or not you used Early Saver. You may want to hold on...you are too far out to reasonably price airfare - lowest rates are usually between 22-18 weeks out...

We are booked on that exact same cruise and are in the same predicament with airfare!!! Not quite 900/person but it's very inflated because of spring break. We are not sure to cancel this cruise or not because when we booked it we unfortunately did not consider it was spring break.

there is always driving to the cruise port would be cheaper. I have done it twice from Southern Ontario to Miami. Split it up into 2 days cost me under $600.00 that's including gas food hotel and parking at the port. Understandable from Utah not viable but Ohio definately

Edited by hockeyguru32

Since you're finding airfare for $300 into Orlando, how about renting a car and driving down to Miami to sail on your original Breeze cruise? The drive isn't bad at all. We've done it a few times! [emoji3]

If you booked Early Saver the balance of your deposit should applied to your next cruise up to 2 years from cancellation.

Since the penalty for cancellation is $50 each and you booked during the promo, your deposit is gone if you indeed bookex Early Saver.

Yes... I did book early saver.

Did you check Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). Flights seem to be a little cheaper. Expedia apprx. 750.00. Also, you may want to wait til you get closer to final payment. Flight are cheapest 45 days out. Also, cheapest rate are Tuesday afternoon. I don't know that for a fact just something I read.

Hi,

I am a little confused?

What dates did you look up for airfare?

I am seeing round trips for somewhere in the $500s depending on your exact dates.

IF you play with the dates a little you can find these fares.

The cruise departs on Saturday March 26th, returns Sunday April 3rd. The return flight seems to be problem. I have found better fares, but they all leave too early on Sunday morning. I have been using google flights to check prices. Is there another site you would recommend?

Also, for those that recommended driving, I don't think the 4 and 7 year old will hold up to well on a 36 hour car ride!!

Cannot use the current ES deposit as a deposit in another cruise.

Can use it as a payment on another cruise. Carnival keeps $59/pp as a penalty.

How about sailing out of Long Beach?

You'd be surprised how well some kids can travel. At times long haul is easier than short.

Edited by SadieN

Cannot use the current ES deposit as a deposit in another cruise.

Can use it as a payment on another cruise. Carnival keeps $59/pp as a penalty.

How about sailing out of Long Beach?

You'd be surprised how well some kids can travel. At times long haul is easier than short.

We did the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach last year. Wish there were more options out of that port because it is so convenient for us. I tell my wife we are moving to Florida when we retire so we eliminate the land travel and log more hours at sea!

The cruise departs on Saturday March 26th, returns Sunday April 3rd. The return flight seems to be problem. I have found better fares, but they all leave too early on Sunday morning. I have been using google flights to check prices. Is there another site you would recommend?

Also, for those that recommended driving, I don't think the 4 and 7 year old will hold up to well on a 36 hour car ride!!

I think what Tapi was trying to say was fly into Orlando for $300pp and then rent a car and drive to Miami. Not a bad drive at all. 3 hours, MAYBE??????

I'm trying to wrap my head around what air fare prices have to do with the cost of a cruise?

Is the airline supposed to say " oh, I see you're taking a cruise. Let us reduce your fare so it's less than what anyone else might pay."

Klfrodo… My goodness, that is a great idea. Why didn’t I think of calling the airline and explaining my situation to see if they would lower their prices just for my family. Silly me, here I am on a message board, trying to find another solution to my problem by drawing upon a forum with a vast amount of knowledge and expertise pertaining to my situation.

[/color][/b]

I think what Tapi was trying to say was fly into Orlando for $300pp and then rent a car and drive to Miami. Not a bad drive at all. 3 hours, MAYBE??????

That is a possibility, but the $300pp rate was for May. But, it does look like Jet Blue has a flight for $500pp, and it is non-stop, so the time we spend in the car, we will save in flight time. Never been to Florida, wouldn't mind seeing some of it!

If driving is not an option, keep an eye on flights to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa. Vehicle rental is inexpensive with no inter city fees. Most agencies in Miami provide shuttle service to the port. Tampa and Orlando are the furthest away, Tampa is 4hrs. and 280 miles, Orlando is 3 1/2 hrs. and 235 miles. Both are easy drives. Airline prices fluctuate, keep looking on all the sights, good luck.

Hi again,

Yes I also use Google flights or it's older version ita matrix where you can see alternate airports all on the same page.

IF you leave on Friday and come home on Monday the price will drop.

I have never done this but have you called Carnival to see what they would charge you if you bought airfare from them??

Edited by riffatsea

I just did a quick search and found a nonstop JetBlue flight leaving 10:50 p.m. on 3/25/16 from SLC into MCO on 3/26/16 at 5:00 a.m., and returning 8:20 p.m. on 4/4/16 from MCO into SLC at 11:08 p.m. for $337 per person. Sure it is a red eye flight and you have to take an extra day off, but with four people I think the saving is worth the hassle.

Edited by PCHENG

We are in the same boat(no pun intended), We are flying out of NEwark and prices are just as high. I booked through a travel web site and the first class tickets were about $798, which was cheaper than uniteds coach. But the cost was higher because it had to be an afternoon flight. Luckily I had enough credit card points to cover the cost for 2. Still need to pay for 1.

If driving is not an option, keep an eye on flights to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa. Vehicle rental is inexpensive with no inter city fees. Most agencies in Miami provide shuttle service to the port. Tampa and Orlando are the furthest away, Tampa is 4hrs. and 280 miles, Orlando is 3 1/2 hrs. and 235 miles. Both are easy drives. Airline prices fluctuate, keep looking on all the sights, good luck.

OP could also try Ft. Myers. 2.5 to 3hrs to Miami.

I just did a quick search and found a nonstop JetBlue flight leaving 10:50 p.m. on 3/25/16 from SLC into MCO on 3/26/16 at 5:00 a.m., and returning 8:20 p.m. on 4/4/16 from MCO into SLC at 11:08 p.m. for $337 per person. Sure it is a red eye flight and you have to take an extra day off, but with four people I think the saving is worth the hassle.

Wow. This just might work for us. The extra day off is no big deal, I was planning on taking the 25th off of work anyway, but with the redeye on Friday night, I won't have to do that.

thanks!

Have you looked into getting one or two credit cards that give you bonus miles, such as Southwest 50k miles for $3k spend or even Alaska Air ( for only $75 annual fee gives you 25k miles without any other spend) Alaska Air uses AA flights for 20k coach, at least one way and so many other cards can get you there .